Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton post match St Gallen

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Just a rough transcript from the post match interview.

Pleased with the work out.

Been a hard two weeks work since pre-season began, (three sessions a day in Austria, with downtime on Wednesday afternoon) more work to go but now it's more about game time.

Walton joins up with Wigan on Monday.

Satisfied with Bernardo 'primarily a left back but can play as a right back too, so we thought we would try him out in that position' 'Pleased with his 45 minutes, he's a young lad, he has come from a different league and will take time to adjust to our leagues intensity but he will soon get to that level'

Balogun back next Tuesday, Ryan the following day, and Izquierdo a week on Monday.

Injuries: (all minor)

Steele, Andone, Duffy.

Duffy likely to take some part in the next match, the other two will be assessed nearer the time.

He wasn't asked about Murray.

Transfers:

Pleased with current squad and if that's it, then he will be delighted with this summers business. But, always looking to strengthen and if an opportunity comes up then 'we will take that opportunity'

Last edited:

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Sounds very confident, there seems to be no pressure, if there is a deal available to improve the squad great, if not we move on. We seem to be in a very comfortable position having done good early business so can’t be held to ransom. Happy days!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sounds very confident, there seems to be no pressure, if there is a deal available to improve the squad great, if not we move on. We seem to be in a very comfortable position having done good early business so can’t be held to ransom. Happy days!

Quite agree with you - but that won't go down well with the 'We need two full backs, a CB, a CM and an AM, plus a winger at least' brigade!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Quite agree with you - but that won't go down well with the 'We need two full backs, a CB, a CM and an AM, plus a winger at least' brigade!

It also doesn't take a rocket science to see that this team needs further strengthening. You will be a fool to believe we can go into the season ahead with no replacement for Sidwell/Goldson and another keeper. Don't kid yourself :facepalm:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Our squad is much stronger than 12 months ago. Especially considering the time it has taken all of our new signings to settle.

I'd be happy with the current squad but a few additions can only help

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It also doesn't take a rocket science to see that this team needs further strengthening. You will be a fool to believe we can go into the season ahead with no replacement for Sidwell/Goldson and another keeper. Don't kid yourself :facepalm:

Yep, like I predicted, it's not going down well with the 'We need two full backs, a CB, a CM and an AM, plus a winger at least' brigade!

We all know that the club is being linked with other incoming - quite right too, we should never stop trying to improve, but what makes you think I (or the club) wants to go into the forthcoming season without some further additions? Or do you just like using the word 'fool'?

Hughton is "Pleased with current squad and if that's it, then he will be delighted with this Summers business. But, always looking to strengthen and if an opportunity comes up then 'we will take that opportunity" - absolutely as it should be. No panic, and if we have to go into this season with what we've got, so be it, we've improved on last season, but of course we'll keep looking.

Only a fool can't follow that. Incidentally, what did Sidwell do last season that so desperately needs to be replaced?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Yep, like I predicted, it's not going down well with the 'We need two full backs, a CB, a CM and an AM, plus a winger at least' brigade!

We all know that the club is being linked with other incoming - quite right too, we should never stop trying to improve, but what makes you think I (or the club) wants to go into the forthcoming season without some further additions? Or do you just like using the word 'fool'?

Hughton is "Pleased with current squad and if that's it, then he will be delighted with this Summers business. But, always looking to strengthen and if an opportunity comes up then 'we will take that opportunity" - absolutely as it should be. No panic, and if we have to go into this season with what we've got, so be it, we've improved on last season, but of course we'll keep looking.

Only a fool can't follow that. Incidentally, what did Sidwell do last season that so desperately needs to be replaced?
The stats pointed towards us having the least amount of injuries. We got lucky there especially in midfield.
This team has a valuable years experience now but we are certainly not stronger in some areas like central defence and goal keeping, also midfield. The rest of your post is just drivel. This team needs more new players end of to be competitive. Second season will prove to be more challenging.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham

Our manager is, as ever, totally on message and always says the right thing.
But I cant see that he will really want to go into next season with 2 keepers, 3 centre backs and 3 central midfielders and trust to luck with injuries.
I suspect he will hope for additional but is way to classy to say as much.

luge

Dec 18, 2010

I'm not that brigade, but it's clear we do need a GK, CB, a CM, a winger (assuming Skalak goes) and a CF if one or both of Hemed and Baldock go.

Personally I think Sam B has had it unlucky and could do some damage in the team as he is really good at creating space and stretching the play.

If we didn't get any of those it's not the end of the world as Gross could move back into MF and the others could be picked up from U23 as generally back up options.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm not that brigade, but it's clear we do need a GK, CB, a CM, a winger (assuming Skalak goes) and a CF if one or both of Hemed and Baldock go.
Fair enough - my comment was aimed at those who have been practically demanding a whole new team -which ain't going to happen. With Walton and Sanchez, plus (I think) White going out on loan again, yes, we do need a 3rd.GK and a 4th.CB for cover. The big need (and the one which'll cost big money) is, in my opinion, CM. We need a goal-scoring midfield who can change a game or run it - a Gerrard, a Bryan Robson, a Beckham, a Zidhane or a Vierra; that'll cost! Wingers, OK, if there's money's worth out there, but we've got three good ones, plus Gyokeres and Bjordal.

Personally I think Sam B has had it unlucky and could do some damage in the team as he is really good at creating space and stretching the play.
Agreed.

If we didn't get any of those it's not the end of the world as Gross could move back into MF and the others could be picked up from U23 as generally back up options.
Exactly. It's NOT THE END OF THE WORLD! We should strengthen, and the club is, I'm absolutely convinced, trying to. And I hope we do get a few more in. But this isn't Football Manager!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Fair enough - my comment was aimed at those who have been practically demanding a whole new team -which ain't going to happen. With Walton and Sanchez, plus (I think) White going out on loan again, yes, we do need a 3rd.GK and a 4th.CB for cover. The big need (and the one which'll cost big money) is, in my opinion, CM. We need a goal-scoring midfield who can change a game or run it - a Gerrard, a Bryan Robson, a Beckham, a Zidhane or a Vierra; that'll cost! Wingers, OK, if there's money's worth out there, but we've got three good ones, plus Gyokeres and Bjordal.

Agreed.

Exactly. It's NOT THE END OF THE WORLD! We should strengthen, and the club is, I'm absolutely convinced, trying to. And I hope we do get a few more in. But this isn't Football Manager!

You talk shite on Brexit but sense on football.

Completely agree.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It might be difficult to get a Gerrard, a Bryan Robson, a Beckham, a Zidane or a Viera. An Isacc Hayden maybe.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that the back up GK and CB could be covered by old experienced 1 season signings but the main player we need is a Frank Lampard type midfielder who can get forward to score goals plus hold the midfield together. If Isaac Hayden is that player so be it but I do think a few will be going very soon.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I think that the back up GK and CB could be covered by old experienced 1 season signings but the main player we need is a Frank Lampard type midfielder who can get forward to score goals plus hold the midfield together. If Isaac Hayden is that player so be it but I do think a few will be going very soon.

4 career goals suggests he won't be.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Luckily, your foolish complacency is NOT matched by the club, who are clearly looking for another keeper, CB. CM and winger...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here