Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yves Bissouma SINGS on a 5 (five) year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Too early to think of Biss in those terms IMHO. He has had less than a year as a true first team regular. He looks the business but it's early days still. He certainly has the potential to be one of our very best, due in no small part to the level we're now playing at. However, you can't just throw around these labels without thinking of the other greats he's competing with like Kemy Agustein, Ryan Harley and Tommy Fraser.

There speaks someone who didn't see Andy Ansah play.

Lucky bugger.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Importance to the team at the time is surely a different argument from 'best midfielder' which is what we're talking about isn't it? I've watched the Albion for 32 years, my Dad for 57 years and neither of us have seen a midfielder with more ability than Biss.

If you're talking importance to the team then yes, Nobby and probably a couple of others then come into the equation or ahead of him.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If Biss does go it'll be another Ben White situation, where the buying club would have to pay well over his actual value. He's 24, has another 2.5 years on his contract here (i think), and we dont want/need to sell. If star players out of the Championship (Maupay/Webster) are costing minimum £20million these days, and we turned down £25m for BW, you'd have to reasonably put a starting Prem midfielder of his quality & age at least around £30/35million, so adding the fact we dont want to sell him opening bids should be £40/45million and up.

Norwich want £50 mill for Buendia, Arsenal don't want to pay £40 million. The real price is probably £30mill.

I don't know whether Arsenal would pay big money after forking out £45 mill for Thomas Partey. He spent 3 seasons in a decent Atletico midfield but then is 27 compared to Bissouma's 24. I'd place Bissouma's value c. halfway between Buendia and Partey so c. £35 mill.

It goes to show what a brilliant bit of business Spurs did getting Hojbjerg for £15 mill.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Importance to the team at the time is surely a different argument from 'best midfielder' which is what we're talking about isn't it? I've watched the Albion for 32 years, my Dad for 57 years and neither of us have seen a midfielder with more ability than Biss.

If you're talking importance to the team then yes, Nobby and probably a couple of others then come into the equation or ahead of him.

I would argue that by the same token, having the most ability is not necessarily the same as being the best midfielder.

I am happy to agree that they are both brilliant, just in different ways. It was clear from the start that Biss had all the attributes to be a top player - this season he's adapted his game to realise that potential.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

That's the problem with rating him. He has the potential to play for a far better team Nobby could ever have done so therefore a better quality player, Nobby though in importance to us as a team the likes we have not seen since.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Norwich want £50 mill for Buendia, Arsenal don't want to pay £40 million. The real price is probably £30mill.

I don't know whether Arsenal would pay big money after forking out £45 mill for Thomas Partey. He spent 3 seasons in a decent Atletico midfield but then is 27 compared to Bissouma's 24. I'd place Bissouma's value c. halfway between Buendia and Partey so c. £35 mill.

It goes to show what a brilliant bit of business Spurs did getting Hojbjerg for £15 mill.

If Hojbjerg had more than 1 year left on his contract he'd of gone for double that, plus he had no intention of signing a new one with Saints.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If Hojbjerg had more than 1 year left on his contract he'd of gone for double that, plus he had no intention of signing a new one with Saints.

Indeed. Tracking players as they progress through their contract is the key.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
'Best ever' is such a subjective thing. Does Bissouma have the potential? Absolutely. Is he there yet? No.

Quite. He is good but he hardly Charlie Oatway is he?

More seriously - I am “only” (I guess only is okay given most of us are old as the kids tictoc) 41 and he is the best I can remember. Who from the 80s would be as good? Case?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Quite. He is good but he hardly Charlie Oatway is he?

More seriously - I am “only” (I guess only is okay given most of us are old as the kids tictoc) 41 and he is the best I can remember. Who from the 80s would be as good? Case?

I was thinking Jimmy Case as well, but I only saw him right at the end as a kid at Goldstone.

I don’t get how it’s crazy to suggest Biss may be one of our best ever midfielders. Who cares if it’s early to say or not.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Usual caveat - you can't properly compare players across eras.

BUT, in terms of how important a midfielder is to their team, I think Biss still has some way to go to match the great Nobby.

Yeah. He hasn't been with us and in his pomp long enough yet to say, but is starting to look the part. I was there in Brian Horton's time and remain a great fan.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Listening to Drive on TalkSPORT and Adrian Durham was talking about Bissouma, he said that he had Arsenal fans telling him that Thomas Partey is better than Biss, he laughed and said “absolutely not” . Partey just cost Arsenal £45m.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Too early to think of Biss in those terms IMHO. He has had less than a year as a true first team regular. He looks the business but it's early days still. He certainly has the potential to be one of our very best, due in no small part to the level we're now playing at. However, you can't just throw around these labels without thinking of the other greats he's competing with like Kemy Agustein, Ryan Harley and Tommy Fraser.

When he scores a wonder goal like Tommy Fraser, then we'll know if he's any good.

Last edited:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Yeah. He hasn't been with us and in his pomp long enough yet to say, but is starting to look the part. I was there in Brian Horton's time and remain a great fan.

Bissouma does everything that you want him to do and is well above Brightons level to be honest with you.

Liverpool Echo website quoted from a Liverpool fans podcast.
:angry:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
50 mill all day long to a top 4 side, and I would not hold him back if that came in as much as I want to see him play again..

Hating that I may never get to see the likes of Biss, White and Lamptey play live for us at the Amex again or ever.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
50 mill all day long to a top 4 side, and I would not hold him back if that came in as much as I want to see him play again..

Hating that I may never get to see the likes of Biss, White and Lamptey play live for us at the Amex again or ever.

I hope you're right re the level of fee but I can't see it being that much. I don't envisage there being a lot of cash floating about this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here