Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Another train question

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Looking at a mid-afternoon trip to London in mid-August.

A single from Worthing to:

Victoria is £5.00
London Bridge is £24.70

I thought that a ticket to London would allow you to disembark at any of the main London station.

If that's not the case, what is the best/cheapest option to get to London Bridge, which is my preferred destination? A single to East Croydon is also a fiver with EC -> LB being just over £6, the same as Victoria -> LB?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Go to Victoria then get tube to London Bridge

Is the correct answer. Victoria - Green Park - London Bridge is only five stops. Having said that, is Worthing to Victoria REALLY only a fiver in the afternoons? Tremendous deal if it is.

Edit: Though you have to factor in the cost of the return journey shirley? Or is that a fiver also?

Last edited:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Looking at a mid-afternoon trip to London in mid-August.

A single from Worthing to:

Victoria is £5.00
London Bridge is £24.70

I thought that a ticket to London would allow you to disembark at any of the main London station.

If that's not the case, what is the best/cheapest option to get to London Bridge, which is my preferred destination? A single to East Croydon is also a fiver with EC -> LB being just over £6, the same as Victoria -> LB?

Get the Victoria ticket (as it gives you more options) but then break your journey and get either a return from EC or use your contactless bank card for pay as you go through the barriers as maximu spend will be £12.50. If you are going on from LB on the tube or bus then it's cheaper.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The £5 will be an advance fare so you will have to catch that train, I guess you can't get to London Bridge on a Southern Train so that fare isn't valid to go there hence you can't disembark at any London station.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I do this journey occasionally, and I take my Brompton and cycle. If you are travelling by yourself and 'out of the rush hour' you are probably OK to take any old bike.

el punal

Victoria, and as someone has already suggested, take the tube to London Bridge using an Oyster card. Check with TfL the journey fare.

P.S. I made enquiries about going from Clapham Junction to Watford (for our away fixture at Watford) with TfL. Using my Oyster card the journey will cost me £1.90 each way on any of the rail services - Overground, Southern, Tube etc.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thanks all. I'll be with kids and also a fair amount of luggage so I want the journey to be as pain free as possible. Multiple tube stops to get where we're ultimately going - London City Airport - would be a pain in the arse.

I might just go to Victoria for a fiver and used the money saved on an Uber from there.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if you're going to London City, presumably on the DLR, you want to goto Victoria, get on the District/Circle to Tower Hill then the DLR. it might look a further but its easy inter-connections

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
if you're going to London City, presumably on the DLR, you want to goto Victoria, get on the District/Circle to Tower Hill then the DLR. it might look a further but its easy inter-connections

The easier route is get the Jubilee line to Canning Town and pick up the DLR from there. Tower Hill looks simple but it's about 300m from the tube station to the DLR one, crossing a busy road. The Canning Town way is just changing platforms

But the Uber way may be less painful - it takes a long, long time by car though so allow plenty of time.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
[MENTION=25]Gwylan[/MENTION], yeah thats a good route. funny we forget entire lines exist. I'd still want to avoid the warren that is London Bridge underground, wouldnt fancy with baggage and group to corral. the Tower hill change is simple.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The £5 will be an advance fare so you will have to catch that train, I guess you can't get to London Bridge on a Southern Train so that fare isn't valid to go there hence you can't disembark at any London station.

This is the right answer.

Not sure on when you're planning on returning but also bear in mind that coming from London Bridge back any time after about 15.30 is HORRIBLE. There are no trains that start at LB any more, only through trains from Bedford or Cambridge and they fill up to the brim at St Pancras and City Thameslink. It'll be standing room only at best. From Victoria there are 2 an hour to Worthing that start at Vic and 4 an hour fast to Brighton via Gatwick.

Basically your fiver will get you a better journey cheaper. IF the specific train you book on doesn't get cancelled :lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
[MENTION=25]Gwylan[/MENTION], yeah thats a good route. funny we forget entire lines exist. I'd still want to avoid the warren that is London Bridge underground, wouldnt fancy with baggage and group to corral. the Tower hill change is simple.

I have to go to ExCel more times than I'd like and used to do Tower Hill but the the Canning Town option is much less painful. From Victoria, it's change at Green Park.

I do know people who take a cab to ExCel always seem to moan about the cost or the time it's taken ... or both.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Victoria, and as someone has already suggested, take the tube to London Bridge using an Oyster card. Check with TfL the journey fare.

P.S. I made enquiries about going from Clapham Junction to Watford (for our away fixture at Watford) with TfL. Using my Oyster card the journey will cost me £1.90 each way on any of the rail services - Overground, Southern, Tube etc.

I was checking that as well but as there is only one train an hour I'm not going to risk it, drive to Battle and across to Euston gives far more choice and far more reliability.

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
The easier route is get the Jubilee line to Canning Town and pick up the DLR from there. Tower Hill looks simple but it's about 300m from the tube station to the DLR one, crossing a busy road. The Canning Town way is just changing platforms

But the Uber way may be less painful - it takes a long, long time by car though so allow plenty of time.

Another option from Victoria to London City Airport with only one change and less walking is District Line Vic to West Ham, then DLR West Ham to London City Airport. Google suggests this route takes 50 mins.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2018
Thanks all. I'll be with kids and also a fair amount of luggage so I want the journey to be as pain free as possible. Multiple tube stops to get where we're ultimately going - London City Airport - would be a pain in the arse.

I might just go to Victoria for a fiver and used the money saved on an Uber from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jul 7, 2003

Have you looked at the cost of a Super Off Peak return with travel card - even if you are only going one way. Think these come in fairly cheap as well and if you have Network card, the kids tickets will be minimal cost.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
[/B]

That made me LOL
Isn't it cheaper to just buy a one day travel card thing?

That was my thought too, but I think I think [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] may have some cash flow issues. Hopefully all these pop up ads will help him resolve things :lolol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here