Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Croatia Motivated By English Pundits’ Lack Of Respect, Says Luka Modric

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...motivated-lack-of-respect-england-luka-modric

I've been wanting to spark a debate on this. In my view, the ITV punditry was rock bottom, lowest common denominator trash last night. Ian Wright being its lead clown.

The business about Croatia being tired (they had merely played half an hour more than us) and the cringe worthy talk at half time about England comfortably cruising through the second half.

Whatever the channel, our 'pundits' seem to have descended into a bunch of cheer leading excitable children. You only have to see the faces of foreign guests to see how embarrassing it is.

Like cricket, the afterlife has taken the best from us, never to return. Peter Jones, Bryan Butler, Brian Moore etc

It wasn't the result that upset me last night, it was the final realisation that the reporting of events surrounding it is now a silly and disrespectful circus devoid of any talent.

I don't listen to them and I turn the sound down at half time

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
That's really ****ing weird.

'Right lads, a place at the World Cup final is up for grabs!'

'Meh, not really fussed boss'

'But the pundits on English tv think England are better than us!'

'****in' 'ell boss, why didn't you say! Let's ****in' 'ave 'em!'

well put.... fact is we needed to have killed them off in the first half when we went for it but didn't..

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
It's a shame really, but he has turned into a nasty, bitter old git, who just seems to delight in dismissing the current crop of players. Whether that's England, Ireland, or Manchester United, he doesn't care, no-one is ever as good as they were in his days. He's a modern day, footballing Geoff Boycott ..... not sure that should be your punditry role model Roy.

Also grates when he takes the high ground on any of this when he was such a selfish and destructive character in the Ireland dressing room under McCarthy. His very public flounce is never far from my mind when I hear him being critical.

he's a c**t and they are good for the viewing figures

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Modric is being an idiot, but it’s fair to say the pundits have been getting carried away and were dismissive of Croatia, presumably as they have players they had never heard of before the tournament (because they don’t play in the Premier League).

The standard of punditting is very mixed

I’ve quite liked Lampard, Ferdinand, Bilic and at times, Shearer. The occasional foreign guests, eg Drogba have added welcome perspective as well.

Can’t warm to Neville, but agree with whoever said he does try to offer analysis and insight. Which is incredible on ITV seeing as pundits get so little time to do so. Ironically though he was going on last night about England being too inexperienced … I was baying for Pougatch to jump in to say you don’t win anything with kids.

Hoddle and Lawrenson are appalling.

Keane has been the worst, and starting a drunken pub argument with Wright isn’t a good look.

Pundits are really just journalists who speak, as such should be able to rise above rose tinted . If I wanted to hear mindless passion, I’d have gone down Brighton sea front.

Worst of all I hate the sight of pundits celebrating an England goal. Yes, very good, you’re a fan as well, I get it.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...motivated-lack-of-respect-england-luka-modric

I've been wanting to spark a debate on this. In my view, the ITV punditry was rock bottom, lowest common denominator trash last night. Ian Wright being its lead clown.

The business about Croatia being tired (they had merely played half an hour more than us) and the cringe worthy talk at half time about England comfortably cruising through the second half.

Whatever the channel, our 'pundits' seem to have descended into a bunch of cheer leading excitable children. You only have to see the faces of foreign guests to see how embarrassing it is.

Like cricket, the afterlife has taken the best from us, never to return. Peter Jones, Bryan Butler, Brian Moore etc

It wasn't the result that upset me last night, it was the final realisation that the reporting of events surrounding it is now a silly and disrespectful circus devoid of any talent.

trouble is , it's only outsiders who can see how pathetic English media personalities have become and marvel at what sort of bell ended behaviour may pop up next.

you're all so conditioned by what you watch sport , politics , news.....!!! all brought to you by some twatt dressed by top man and a bird who gives the best head.

there are a few exceptions of course , but Roy Keane :wozza: not sure who deserves the bigger slagging , him or the twatt that booked him for the show .

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's a shame really, but he has turned into a nasty, bitter old git, who just seems to delight in dismissing the current crop of players. Whether that's England, Ireland, or Manchester United, he doesn't care, no-one is ever as good as they were in his days. He's a modern day, footballing Geoff Boycott ..... not sure that should be your punditry role model Roy.

Also grates when he takes the high ground on any of this when he was such a selfish and destructive character in the Ireland dressing room under McCarthy. His very public flounce is never far from my mind when I hear him being critical.
His public flounce, while they were at the ****ing World Cup, means I never bother listening to a thing he says. From reading the posts on here, it seems I did well to switch off.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Former England players get excited at prospect of England making it to the World Cup Final.

Shocking.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Modric is being an idiot, but it’s fair to say the pundits have been getting carried away and were dismissive of Croatia, presumably as they have players they had never heard of before the tournament (because they don’t play in the Premier League).

The standard of punditting is very mixed

I’ve quite liked Lampard, Ferdinand, Bilic and at times, Shearer. The occasional foreign guests, eg Drogba have added welcome perspective as well.

Can’t warm to Neville, but agree with whoever said he does try to offer analysis and insight. Which is incredible on ITV seeing as pundits get so little time to do so. Ironically though he was going on last night about England being too inexperienced … I was baying for Pougatch to jump in to say you don’t win anything with kids.

Hoddle and Lawrenson are appalling.

Keane has been the worst, and starting a drunken pub argument with Wright isn’t a good look.

Pundits are really just journalists who speak, as such should be able to rise above rose tinted . If I wanted to hear mindless passion, I’d have gone down Brighton sea front.

Worst of all I hate the sight of pundits celebrating an England goal. Yes, very good, you’re a fan as well, I get it.

But they are not though are they. They are ex-players, some better at stringing words together into a meaningful sentence than others. Yes, some of them were dismissive of Croatia but so what? If it was Southgate or the players, or the FA, or the entire British media, then maybe there is a case for 'up yours' after the game but not because a few ex-players who are probably pro England anyway got carried away with the whole 'its coming home' hype.

Keane is a disgrace BTW.

Johnnyboy

Sep 25, 2010
North Hampshire
trouble is , it's only outsiders who can see how pathetic English media personalities have become and marvel at what sort of bell ended behaviour may pop up next.

you're all so conditioned by what you watch sport , politics , news.....!!! all brought to you by some twatt dressed by top man and a bird who gives the best head.

there are a few exceptions of course , but Roy Keane :wozza: not sure who deserves the bigger slagging , him or the twatt that booked him for the show .

I shall look at female presenters with a fresh perspective from now on!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Endless mentions/tweets/memes of 'It's coming home'; talking about the potential final against France; gloating that 'big' teams got knocked out early (Germany, mostly). No, I can't see where they got any inspiration from. Not at all. He's not wrong, but Modric is hyping it up a bit. There was certainly an air of arrogance among SOME pundits, fans, JCLs, probably from the moment the team beat Panama. But then, that's the way it's always been. Normally the hype is pre-tournament, this time it was during.

Basically, even if some people said it in jest, there are others out there who thought England were DEFINITELY going to win the WC. And a few of them now have the tattoos to prove it!

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Endless mentions/tweets/memes of 'It's coming home'; talking about the potential final against France; gloating that 'big' teams got knocked out early (Germany, mostly). No, I can't see where they got any inspiration from. Not at all. He's not wrong, but Modric is hyping it up a bit. There was certainly an air of arrogance among SOME pundits, fans, JCLs, probably from the moment the team beat Panama. But then, that's the way it's always been. Normally the hype is pre-tournament, this time it was during.

Basically, even if some people said it in jest, there are others out there who thought England were DEFINITELY going to win the WC. And a few of them now have the tattoos to prove it!

Genuine Question
Are English fans and their media any different to any other country that find themselves in the same situation or are we just more frowned upon for doing what everyone else does?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Former England players get excited at prospect of England making it to the World Cup Final.

Shocking.

Maybe I'm old fashioned. But, as a kid, I was influenced more by the theatrical style of the classic old school.

That famous Bryon Butler Maradona commentary sends a frison down the spine. And here it is from 6 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpJP46ny82Y

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Genuine Question
Are English fans and their media any different to any other country that find themselves in the same situation or are we just more frowned upon for doing what everyone else does?

I honestly have no idea. Possibly the former :shrug:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

It's coming home, football's coming home. It didn't say the World Cup was coming home. Football the mojo, the pride, has all returned home.
The fans waited for 70 minutes after a defeat to see Gareth Southgate. Seventy minutes after losing a game. Think about it.

This is the reception he got.

https://twitter.com/JacquiOatley/status/1017329917976031232

[tweet]1017329917976031232[/tweet]

Modric can only dream of such support. Croatia lack any class, and I hope France beat them at least 3-0.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Great support from our fans, Croatia can only dream of that

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It's coming home, football's coming home. It didn't say the World Cup was coming home. Football the mojo, the pride, has all returned home.
The fans waited for 70 minutes after a defeat to see Gareth Southgate. Seventy minutes after losing a game. Think about it.

This is the reception he got.

https://twitter.com/JacquiOatley/status/1017329917976031232

[tweet]1017329917976031232[/tweet]

Modric can only dream of such support. Croatia lack any class, and I hope France beat them at least 3-0.

You reckon that nobody who sang that song, shared a 'hilarious' meme or tagged it in a tweet (normally without the apostrophe) thought England would win the competition after such winning the first two games? ??? Probably not the majority, but I reckon LOADS thought it was in the bag.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I honestly have no idea. Possibly the former :shrug:

The reason I ask is that I get to see things from an Irish perspective. All I hear on the media is how arrogant we are, how all we go on about is 1966 etc etc.
Yet I don't see any different in their fans when the Ireland football or rugby teams are doing well and their TV panels are even more biased and parochial than ours in my opinion yet they can't wait to slag off the English/Brits at every opportunity on almost every radio station that I have heard. Every bit of news about England is of a negative nature.
We go on about 1966. Really? Every Christmas you'll see adverts on TV here for DVD's of great rugby victories over England or, even better, a DVD of when Munster beat the All Blacks back in 1978 FFS.
Are we really that different?

albionite

May 20, 2009
The reason I ask is that I get to see things from an Irish perspective. All I hear on the media is how arrogant we are, how all we go on about is 1966 etc etc.
Yet I don't see any different in their fans when the Ireland football or rugby teams are doing well and their TV panels are even more biased and parochial than ours in my opinion yet they can't wait to slag off the English/Brits at every opportunity on almost every radio station that I have heard. Every bit of news about England is of a negative nature.
We go on about 1966. Really? Every Christmas you'll see adverts on TV here for DVD's of great rugby victories over England or, even better, a DVD of when Munster beat the All Blacks back in 1978 FFS.
Are we really that different?

Doesn’t help when foreign newspapers run articles like this ( do the kiwis have a chip on their shoulder about us as well?)

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12087651

I didn’t even know we made a fuss.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here