Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What if ?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
The thought of losing to France in a final is what makes the defeat more tolerable against Croatia for me.

The fact is we'd have had our asses whipped by France in the final and the score could have been embarrassing. Better to go out like we did in the semis and build for the Euros and the next World Cup.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Even if, and l do mean IF, we had beaten the Croats, would we have beaten France in the final? Very unlikely l'd say.

France would be favourites but England would have been in with a decent chance. Certainly wouldn’t have written them off, especially with their set ball successes in the tournament.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Even if, and l do mean IF, we had beaten the Croats, would we have beaten France in the final? Very unlikely l'd say.

When we were one-nil up and pissing all over Croatia I started to believe that we could beat France in the final.

It's the belief and hope that gets you every time. I was fine when I expected little.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I like these paragraphs.

A goalkeeper who had been relegated one season and then at a club that sacked two managers in a single season, transformed into a leaping, shouting, game-saving superstar. A central defender unwanted three years ago at a club sinking into the Championship looking indomitable in the air and even better on the deck. A captain who had never scored at a major tournament before finding the net more than any other player in the world.

At the head of it all, a manager undergoing his own personal redemption, and in doing so saving the reputation of his position and that of those who wear the national shirt too. It is hard to create a team that finds success on the pitch but it is harder still to build one that draws such affection for its constituent characters.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
It would have been real progress to get to the final, win or lose. Now it feels like an overachievement and an underachievement at the same time. It has been a ride, but ultimately same old England.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here