Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Right backs at the WC

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
One of the most striking aspects of this tournament has been the quality of the right backs - not normally the most eye-catching of positions.

We've seen four excellent players in the semi-finalists: Trippier (who many think has been England's player of the tournament), Pavard, who has been superb throughout, Meunier, who was suspended for the semis and much missed and Vrsljko, who was one of Croatia's best players last night (as he has been all tournament).

Throw in the Russian Fernandes and the Brazilian Fagner (who was third choice for his country but looked pretty decent) and there's plenty of backs to choose from.

Am I alone in thinking this or is this a representation of the growing importance of full backs? (if so, why haven't the left backs haven't been quite so impressive?)Or is just a freak?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
No, I'd agree with that. Trippier, Pavard and Meunier stood out. Not so sure I'd bring Fagner in, Caceres impressed me. I'm not sure I can think of any left backs that have shone at this tournament to the same extent.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Pavard is a funny one. He was a calamitous donkey in France's first two games - definitely the weak link. Then he scores a worldy and everyone loves him. True, his game improved after that, but I can't help feeling he is still France's Hercules Heel.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
One of the most striking aspects of this tournament has been the quality of the right backs - not normally the most eye-catching of positions.

We've seen four excellent players in the semi-finalists: Trippier (who many think has been England's player of the tournament), Pavard, who has been superb throughout, Meunier, who was suspended for the semis and much missed and Vrsljko, who was one of Croatia's best players last night (as he has been all tournament).

Throw in the Russian Fernandes and the Brazilian Fagner (who was third choice for his country but looked pretty decent) and there's plenty of backs to choose from.

Am I alone in thinking this or is this a representation of the growing importance of full backs? (if so, why haven't the left backs haven't been quite so impressive?)Or is just a freak?

add in BRONN of Tunisia.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Pavard is a funny one. He was a calamitous donkey in France's first two games - definitely the weak link. Then he scores a worldy and everyone loves him. True, his game improved after that, but I can't help feeling he is still France's Hercules Heel.

Achilles?!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yes Vrsalko, Trippier and Fernandes the best 3 Right Backs

Laxalt the best LB for me

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
No, I'd agree with that. Trippier, Pavard and Meunier stood out. Not so sure I'd bring Fagner in, Caceres impressed me. I'm not sure I can think of any left backs that have shone at this tournament to the same extent.

Only mentioned Fagner because he was thrown into it after Dani Alves and Danilo were ruled out and people thought he'd be the weak link, but he did OK.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here