Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pride in your country

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
England at the World Cup has achieved something in the last 2 weeks that any politician could only dream of, it has united people who have different views. Just for a short while it has felt like a joined country. Not ashamed to have an identity but proud of it.

Some football fan 'snobs' got all upset about non-football bods jumping on the bandwagon, the more the merrier I thought, it was driving the momentum.

Back to the usual bollocks now then I suppose.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
England at the World Cup has achieved something in the last 2 weeks that any politician could only dream of, it has united people who have different views. Just for a short while it has felt like a joined country. Not ashamed to have an identity but proud of it.

Some football fan 'snobs' got all upset about non-football bods jumping on the bandwagon, the more the merrier I thought, it was driving the momentum.

Back to the usual bollocks now then I suppose.

I thought it was an Ambulance? :shrug:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think the pride in the country, the pride in the flag, and the unity felt have been an ENORMOUS bonus from all of this.

I'm sick and tired of the St. Georges cross, and any pride in our nation being taken as meaning you are some sort of right wing, EDL, Tommy Robinson nutter. Phrases like "little englander" drive me insane.

To be a proud Englishman, to display a St. Georges cross, should not automatically make people think of racism and xenophobia, but that is where we are at times. This World Cup has brought back a completely different feel. Forget politicians rowing about this that and the other it is GARETH SOUTHGATE and his united band of humble, classy individuals who have worked fantastically as a team, that has delivered this sea change.

Long may it last.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
No tears or hurt last night like Italia 90 or Euro 96 - just pride, unexpected pride - we've equalled the best we've ever done since 1966, couldn't have done anymore and the best team won. Unlike in Italia 90, we're currently World U 17 & U 20 Champions and something is genuinely happening in our national team, there wont be retirements and changes ending up with Carlton Palmer and Andy Sinton in the starting XI in 2 years time this time.

Hold your head up high this morning, we're English and it feels good. One way or the other, I haven't felt that for a while.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Gareth for Prime Minister, could do a job as often stated on this board and he can't be worse than present group of leaders.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Gareth for Prime Minister, could do a job as often stated on this board and he can't be worse than present group of leaders.
Back in Europe by 2020, that's a yes from me. :thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think the pride in the country, the pride in the flag, and the unity felt have been an ENORMOUS bonus from all of this.

I'm sick and tired of the St. Georges cross, and any pride in our nation being taken as meaning you are some sort of right wing, EDL, Tommy Robinson nutter. Phrases like "little englander" drive me insane.

To be a proud Englishman, to display a St. Georges cross, should not automatically make people think of racism and xenophobia, but that is where we are at times. This World Cup has brought back a completely different feel. Forget politicians rowing about this that and the other it is GARETH SOUTHGATE and his united band of humble, classy individuals who have worked fantastically as a team, that has delivered this sea change.

Long may it last.

Strange isn't it, the only way to reclaim the cross from the right is for a bit of shared unity. It's always interesting to see all the footage and photos of '66 not a St George's Cross in sight, only Union Flags. We're a confused old country really.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
I think the saddest thing I've seen in this tournament was the guy who lives across the road from me taking down all his England flags outside his house one minute after we lost the game. Choked me up, that did.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Strange isn't it, the only way to reclaim the cross from the right is for a bit of shared unity. It's always interesting to see all the footage and photos of '66 not a St George's Cross in sight, only Union Flags. We're a confused old country really.

Yes, it was all union flags, and the game was often referred to as soccer ... things change, things move on. Personally, I think in '66 we either didn't have so much opposition of our team from Scotland or Wales, or perhaps we English didn't realise it.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think the saddest thing I've seen in this tournament was the guy who lives across the road from me taking down all his England flags outside his house one minute after we lost the game. Choked me up, that did.

probably left the viewing after 85 mins to get a bus

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Felt as though many had given up on England. The last few weeks have put some pride back in supporting England. For me a WC win would still surpass everything and that includes the Albion

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset

think you'll find we didn't have the likes of the Sun giving them away, they weren't on sale in every shop/garage you went into....................................and TV was black and white

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes, it was all union flags, and the game was often referred to as soccer ... things change, things move on. Personally, I think in '66 we either didn't have so much opposition of our team from Scotland or Wales, or perhaps we English didn't realise it.

It is an evolving thing with regards to national identity, Mexico '86 and Italia '90 were still more union flags than St George's, not until Euro'96 there is a swing toward the cross, and in my lifetime the first time ordinary people appeared to say that the St George's Cross is no longer the symbol of the right and the hooligans, we're taking it back, and you're right, with Scotland in our group at Euro '96, it probably did encourage that identity association.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
think you'll find we didn't have the likes of the Sun giving them away, they weren't on sale in every shop/garage you went into....................................and TV was black and white

I don't think that's it, you look at Wembley for any of the '66 games, and there are plenty of flags but people bought Union flags. I wasn't there, but I think in '66 most Englishmen associated themselves as British, and therefore waved the British flag. I think that has stayed the case until the last 2 decades or so, and perhaps coupled with the political devolution of power, it has changed. Prior to that the only people waving a St George's Cross were the far right and the nationalists.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Felt as though many had given up on England. The last few weeks have put some pride back in supporting England. For me a WC win would still surpass everything and that includes the Albion

That's because most had.
This W/C has shown what the country's football team could have, if everyone pulled in the same direction.

The 'scenes' are reminiscent of our Olympic summer just with more alcohol.
A time from which I thought/hoped the collective would start to move away from our unlucky loser mentality.

Yet the afterglow of this won't last long, the press will heap on expectations so they can kick away at their own pedestal.
There's already talk, on here, of winning 2020.

The cycle will now just start again, and not a single lesson will be learned.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
For the first time EVER I found myself as immersed and passionate about these England performances as I am at Albion games, and felt something of the unity I feel at Albion games too. Long may it continue. Well done Southgate and the players. What a pleasure to have a proper team, not a bunch of overentitled, overrated 'PL superstar' smegbuckets.

We need a poem :smile:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
For the first time EVER I found myself as immersed and passionate about these England performances as I am at Albion games, and felt something of the unity I feel at Albion games too. Long may it continue. Well done Southgate and the players. What a pleasure to have a proper team, not a bunch of overentitled, overrated 'PL superstar' smegbuckets.
Nothing like Albion games for me takes me a while to get over certain defeats for the Albion.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here