Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 1990 v 2018

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
To start of with, two statements.

Have enjoyed the world cup and ride with the England team.

We got what we deserved and the better team won.

Now I've followed England for decades. I don't know how others feel but this defeat pales in comparison to how I felt when we lost in 1990. Possible because we lost to the arch rivals then but probably more because we had a team that we thought could genuinely win it. Think most pundits were of the opinion that the winners of our semi would beat either of the other two semi-finalist. Today, we were in the semi final having beaten no one of significance but, to be fair, that is the luck of the draw. I hoped, but had no high expectation, of success and because of that I don't feel as disheartened as I did 28 years ago.

My thoughts on individuals :-

Sterling - Despite what so called amateur experts say, he contributes very little yet again. Would prefer to see him as an impact sub and give Rashford a starting chance.
Southgate - Got the job by default and not because of some grand plan by the FA. That said, there is promise so let's see how he gets on in the Euro's qualifiers and hopefully the final tournament.
Pickford - Deservedly now considered England's No. 1.
Trippier - One of the star performers, the only black mark being he's from Burnley (well Bury is close enough!)
Midfield - We lack a star player, quality to go round players or someone to find a killer pass. Lingard and Ali still young enough to improve.

So, to sum up, looking forward to the final of Wimbledon!!!

The Rattler

NSC Patron
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts

Now I've followed England for decades. I don't know how others feel but this defeat pales in comparison to how I felt when we lost in 1990. Possible because we lost to the arch rivals then but probably more because we had a team that we thought could genuinely win it. Think most pundits were of the opinion that the winners of our semi would beat either of the other two semi-finalist. Today, we were in the semi final having beaten no one of significance but, to be fair, that is the luck of the draw. I hoped, but had no high expectation, of success and because of that I don't feel as disheartened as I did 28 years ago.

Sterling - Despite what so called amateur experts say, he contributes very little yet again. Would prefer to see him as an impact sub and give Rashford a starting chance.
Southgate - Got the job by default and not because of some grand plan by the FA. That said, there is promise so let's see how he gets on in the Euro's qualifiers and hopefully the final tournament.
Trippier - One of the star performers, the only black mark being he's from Burnley (well Bury is close enough!)
Midfield - We lack a star player, quality to go round players or someone to find a killer pass. Lingard and Ali still young enough to improve.

Rashford was utter gash tonight.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
This is far easier to take than Italia '90.

We deserved better luck in Italia '90, we were a really good team and our bitterest rivals beat us. This time, low expectation, great fun and a good platform to take forward.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We did well. Better team in the first half - could have been two or three up. Second half, they were better, ultimately fine margins. Narrow victory for Croatia - no problems, the (slightly) better team won.
Now let's tonk Belgium.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
England / Belgium reserves again with same outcome

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Italia 90 was 24 years after '66 and 4 years after a solid QF showing

Russia '18 is 28 years after 1990 and we've been shit for years.,

Its really very hard to win these days, 32 good teams and 31 go home empty-handed. We weren't good enough, but we fought hard, did better than expected and gave everyone back home 3 weeks of great fun. They're not the perfect side, we knew that, so we also know they did well to get to the semis, and now I'm looking forward to seeing where they go from here. A far cry from 2010 and 2014.

Last edited:

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)

Hate tennis - obviously not very constructive

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you were making a composite team then I might take the younger Pickford over 40 year old Shilton, Trippier over Parker, possibly Maguire over Wright but that's probably it.

That said, this is a young team and the likes of Alli and Lingard need to impose themselves on matches like Modric and Rakitic do for Croatia.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If you were making a composite team then I might take the younger Pickford over 40 year old Shilton, Trippier over Parker, possibly Maguire over Wright but that's probably it.

That said, this is a young team and the likes of Alli and Lingard need to impose themselves on matches like Modric and Rakitic do for Croatia.

Shilts for me but accept the other two, to this day, how that free kick deflected off Parker and went in defies belief, the luckiest goal ever

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Total bollocks. Sterling is class. Southgate... Trippier....FFS

Bollocks to wimbledon. We aren't even in it.

Try knitting - you'll win that.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

D

Deleted member 18477

The World Cup will be 48 teams soon... does that make it harder or easier?

It was 16 in 1966, 24 in 1990, 32 in 2018...

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Someone slating sterling again? How much threat did we pose when he went off? I am a huge rashford fan but he was awful tonight.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Italia 90 was just a wonderful, carefree time for me. Just graduated from university, living in London with a bunch of mates, a perfect, endless summer with no responsibilities but just endless possibilities stretching before me. It was like living in a Nick Hornby novel. Deep down I knew that would be my last summer like that.

Now? Well, now I have a family to take care of and my universe no longer revolves around me. So whilst I'm gutted we lost tonight, normal life resumes with a bang at 6.45am tomorrow morning. For me, this defeat is easier to take as there are more important things in my life now.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Our games this year felt a round ahead of where they would normally be. Columbia more like a group game, Sweden a last 16 and Croatia a Quarter Final. Went a long way without being tested as in 1990 and 1998. That said was a golden chance to make the final.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The difference between 1990 and 2018 is that Croatia didn't exist to play in the first one.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Easier to take than 1990 as we have a team and manager that has built firm foundations for future success.

Exactly. If Brighton lose in the FAC final next year it won't be anywhere near as bad as 84....because back then we were in a death dive. But, now, tomorrow belongs to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here