Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Changing Mobile phone providers advice please

theboybilly

I'm leaving my present contract at it's conclusion (finishes Friday 27th July) I'm moving to a sim-only deal as I'm very happy with my current handset and have got a decent deal. I have received my new simcard and am wondering, as the 27th falls on a Friday, when would be the best time to initiate the switch using the PAC code (which I have yet to ask for) Is there any real downside to just asking for the PAC code today and starting my new contract while my present one runs down. I don't want to be without my phine for the whole weekend after the 27th

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
i've changed a couple of times and usually you end up with no service for an hour or two. However, if anything goes wrong on a Friday, you'll be waiting until Monday so I would do it on a Wednesday or Thursday.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I'm leaving my present contract at it's conclusion (finishes Friday 27th July) I'm moving to a sim-only deal as I'm very happy with my current handset and have got a decent deal. I have received my new simcard and am wondering, as the 27th falls on a Friday, when would be the best time to initiate the switch using the PAC code (which I have yet to ask for) Is there any real downside to just asking for the PAC code today and starting my new contract while my present one runs down. I don't want to be without my phine for the whole weekend after the 27th

Omsung?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I switched from Talkmobile to Vodaphone (who have recently taken over talkmobile) last month.

Wasn't that fussed about moving to Vodaphone but they did offer me a great deal.

I went for the PAC Code switch on a Tuesday. I was surprised that it took 2 days for the full switch to take place. Everything fully working on the Thursday. Happy with service since the switch, especially all the extra data they threw in. :)

This is a SIM only deal.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Who's the new company you're moving to, and who from?

Kind of affects the advice, as some are more reliable than others when it comes to porting. Also affects how you'd go about handling it.

However: the PAC remains valid for 30 days after you receive it. Just asking for it won't affect your current contract, so you could ask for it today if you want and just hang onto it for a while. Depending on the provider you're switching to, some will let you pick the exact day you want the port to take place. So you could get the PAC today and when you submit it to the new supplier request for the port to take place on the 27th (depending on who you're moving to, for example giffgaff only accept port in requests up to 14 days prior to the date you want to port).

Whatever you do, if you want the port to happen no later than the 27th you need to submit the PAC to the new company by the 25th at latest.

(Disclaimer: I work for giffgaff)

theboybilly

Who's the new company you're moving to, and who from?

Kind of affects the advice, as some are more reliable than others when it comes to porting. Also affects how you'd go about handling it.

However: the PAC remains valid for 30 days after you receive it. Just asking for it won't affect your current contract, so you could ask for it today if you want and just hang onto it for a while. Depending on the provider you're switching to, some will let you pick the exact day you want the port to take place. So you could get the PAC today and when you submit it to the new supplier request for the port to take place on the 27th (depending on who you're moving to, for example giffgaff only accept port in requests up to 14 days prior to the date you want to port).

Whatever you do, if you want the port to happen no later than the 27th you need to submit the PAC to the new company by the 25th at latest.

(Disclaimer: I work for giffgaff)

I'm moving from 3 Mobile to Sky Mobile. The reasoning behind the move (apart from no longer wishing to pay for my handset) is to tie it all in with my Sky account. I travel abroad a bit so Sky Go Extra should (hopefully) work seemlessly and I won't get that dreaded 'Service not available in this country' message while I'm trying to catch up on all things Albion television-wise. Oh, and Jeff & the boys on a Satdee :)
If it doesn't work out I will consider buying any future handset outright and shifting to giffgaff but for the moment Sky (who personally I've never had a problem with for any of my services) are my preferred option

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I'm moving from 3 Mobile to Sky Mobile. The reasoning behind the move (apart from no longer wishing to pay for my handset) is to tie it all in with my Sky account. I travel abroad a bit so Sky Go Extra should (hopefully) work seemlessly and I won't get that dreaded 'Service not available in this country' message while I'm trying to catch up on all things Albion television-wise. Oh, and Jeff & the boys on a Satdee :)
If it doesn't work out I will consider buying any future handset outright and shifting to giffgaff but for the moment Sky (who personally I've never had a problem with for any of my services) are my preferred option

Wife has Sky Mobile and loves it. I have Vodaphone. Signal drops unexpectedly, if it's there at all. Terrible service.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here