Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] NSC Housekeeping

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Some updates on a few bits and pieces on NSC...

1. Ad partner change. After some users experienced problems with some rogue ads with our previous partner, yesterday I swapped out the ad partner on NSC. Along with this, you will see, ideally only once per device, the option to tailor how ads are delivered to you on NSC. Regardless of what you choose, ads will still be delivered, but essentially you have the choice to have targeted (based on other sites you've visited etc) ads, or non-targeted.

2. NSC is "not secure". Browsers have, or will, begin to tell users that a site is not secure if it's not running under an HTTPS connection. NSC never has run under HTTPS so is no more nor less secure today than it has ever been. However, I will be looking to get NSC to run under HTTPS over coming weeks. It shouldn't make any difference to your use of the site when it happens.

3. Making NSC a responsive site. Unfortunately vBulletin 4, on which NSC runs, is not brilliant with regards to being mobile responsive. I have however found what seems to be a decent enough responsive theme for vB4 which I will buy over the next week or so, and install as a test. I will invite some users to try it out as part of that test. if it goes well, it will be phased in. This will mean that the look and feel of the site may change slightly and experience tells me that this will cause people to moan vociferously and abusively at me for a period of time.

This may ultimately mean we remove Tapatalk as an access method for NSC, but only if the mobile responsive theme is considered fit for purpose.

4. Amazon Christmas draw (http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...-NSC-s-link-please-Echo-and-Echo-Dot-on-offer) - That didn't happen. I'll do it over the next week or so. Dig out your email receipts from Amazon purchases in November and December!

5. Predict the Run In competition (http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?362043-Predict-the-run-in-***-PRIZES-***) - The winner wasn't found and prizes weren't given. I'll dig out that thread over the next week or so and do that.

6. The Sportsman Perfect 10 competition (http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...or-FREE-plus-guaranteed-cash-prize-for-NSCers) - the winner received their cash prize directly from The Sportsman.

7. There may be a few moderator changes on the site for the coming season, including our first ever Palace fan moderator.

8. If you are involved in a Sussex-based business who may like to promote to NSC's thousands of highly-engaged locally-focused audience on a site that gets c40m page views a year - please get in touch.

9. If you can write, and would like to occasionally jot things down for a large Albion audience to read over the coming season - please get in touch.

10. I've been slightly less shit at reading and replying to PMs of late - I'll try to keep that up.

11. I was joking about the Palace fan moderator.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Keep up the good work boss. I browse other club’s forums now and again, this is streets ahead of most with or without the odd wrinkle.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Will any of this result in all post counts being reset to zero?

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
3. Making NSC a responsive site. Unfortunately vBulletin 4, on which NSC runs, is not brilliant with regards to being mobile responsive. I have however found what seems to be a decent enough responsive theme for vB4 which I will buy over the next week or so, and install as a test. I will invite some users to try it out as part of that test. if it goes well, it will be phased in. This will mean that the look and feel of the site may change slightly and experience tells me that this will cause people to moan vociferously and abusively at me for a period of time.

:clap2:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Keep up the good work boss. I browse other club’s forums now and again, this is streets ahead of most with or without the odd wrinkle.

Yep - what he said. You're doing sterling work [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION].

You've very kind but also a bit mistaken. I've largely ignored NSC and all things Albion for the last 2-3 months which is poor form. Whilst I can make semi-decent excuses for not doing some of the more time-consuming structural things, it's inconsiderate to run a competition and then not sort out the prizes in a timely manner and to not look at my PMs far more frequently.

As it is, I realise I've now committed to a fair few things in quite a short timeframe. Let's see where we are a week from now!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You've very kind but also a bit mistaken. I've largely ignored NSC and all things Albion for the last 2-3 months which is poor form. Whilst I can make semi-decent excuses for not doing some of the more time-consuming structural things, it's inconsiderate to run a competition and then not sort out the prizes in a timely manner and to not look at my PMs far more frequently.

As it is, I realise I've now committed to a fair few things in quite a short timeframe. Let's see where we are a week from now!

Well even if you're leaving it to rot, it's still better than most :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I've PMd you :lolol:

(I'm also rubbish at this)

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
NSC is one of the best football forums available, that's why we have so many other fans visit and stay.

There's a community of football supporters who share all sorts of news and life stories which makes NSC a fun, engaging and entertaining place to interact and gather information without having to meet people or even get dressed. The users rarely post things that are abusive, insensitive or with the intention to offend and that's a credit to the NSC community, which you helped birth and grow, that a forum continues in that way.

Bozza you have created something very impressive and it is appreciated by the majority on its members, please keep up the great work

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Top work. Had a double take on the palace fan bit. It would be quite an experiment if we could swap you for a loan deal with the BBS for a couple of days and see what carnage ensued on both sites

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
We really need someone to moderate the Palace fans.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Since joining in Feb 1814, I've been really honoured to post amongst you other forum oiks:wink:
Being on here is like being at a match, when you cannot go to watch Albion live.
Cheers [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] for the honour :clap:

PS: any cleaning jobs going, let us know :thumbup:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
5. Predict the Run In competition (http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?362043-Predict-the-run-in-***-PRIZES-***) - The winner wasn't found and prizes weren't given. I'll dig out that thread over the next week or so and do that.
/

I won't miss that slanderous bollocks about Gary Linekar. So, good stuff!

I believe we found the winner of this one. For one, brief, glorious, moment I thought it was me (level with [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION]) until we were trumped by [MENTION=27389]mjking73[/MENTION]

Even without your focus (and with the myriad of goons that gravitate towards any online forum), it's still a cracking site.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Hi [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION],
About ever 10 seconds or so this ad information banner keeps popping up even after pressing on the 'Continue to site' button. Is there any way of getting rid of it or am I doomed forever? I use Chrome browser. Cheers.
Screenshot_2018-07-11-22-46-38.png

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Hi [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION],
About ever 10 seconds or so this ad information banner keeps popping up even after pressing on the 'Continue to site' button. Is there any way of getting rid of it or am I doomed forever? I use Chrome browser. Cheers.
View attachment 98577

Me too. Is this going to be a constant feature?

My guess if you have something configured on your browser that means each time you come back to NSC, the banner doesn't know you've seen it before and accepted it, so shows it to you again. Just looking at my Chrome settings and I wonder if "Block third-party cookies" could be it. I'm guessing the ad network needs to leave a cookie to say you've seen the banner, but if you have that turned on, each time you come back it will show you it again.

All I can say is that I've not seen the banner since accepting it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My guess if you have something configured on your browser that means each time you come back to NSC, the banner doesn't know you've seen it before and accepted it, so shows it to you again. Just looking at my Chrome settings and I wonder if "Block third-party cookies" could be it. I'm guessing the ad network needs to leave a cookie to say you've seen the banner, but if you have that turned on, each time you come back it will show you it again.

No, it's not that. I don't have Block third-party cookies turned on. I can't see anything in the settings that would cause this

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

No, it's not that. I don't have Block third-party cookies turned on. I can't see anything in the settings that would cause this

I have never been into my Chrome settings before, so they were set to 'default'. I went into 'settings' - 'site settings' - 'allow ads' and this seems to have stopped the issue. :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here