Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Any Ramadan experts out there?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
On May 21st, I ordered standard sized bifold doors online which had a 4-6 week lead time, meaning delivery at the latest would be July 2nd.
To cut a long story short, they’ve still not arrived and the company we ordered them from has today said the delivery has been held up by the manufacturers in Turkey and blamed it on Ramadan.
Is this feasible, or am I being fobbed off ?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
On May 21st, I ordered standard sized bifold doors online which had a 4-6 week lead time, meaning delivery at the latest would be July 2nd.
To cut a long story short, they’ve still not arrived and the company we ordered them from has today said the delivery has been held up by the manufacturers in Turkey and blamed it on Ramadan.
Is this feasible, or am I being fobbed off ?

Its feasible, most places will shut for a week around eid and the offices won't be doing much in the week before. Its basically Christmas for them and you can imagine what its like getting things done over here in the lead-up to Christmas and then the week between Christmas and New Year. The company should have factored that in, but as the dates of ramadan change every year its a little harder I guess. Likewise most customers in the UK will understand that ordering things around the christmas period may take time but won't think about ramadan, especially if its not clear the order is coming from a muslim county

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Its feasible, most places will shut for a week around eid and the offices won't be doing much in the week before. Its basically Christmas for them and you can imagine what its like getting things done over here in the lead-up to Christmas and then the week between Christmas and New Year. The company should have factored that in, but as the dates of ramadan change every year its a little harder I guess. Likewise most customers in the UK will understand that ordering things around the christmas period may take time but won't think about ramadan, especially if its not clear the order is coming from a muslim county

Many thanks.
Trouble is I have little faith (no pun intended) in the guy ive been speaking to as one minute he said the doors were going to be dispatched from the warehouse in Surrey this week and then two hours later, they’ve apparently not even been shipped from Turkey yet!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
It's certainly feasible. Whether it's the real reason is another matter.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Sounds like a bollocks excuse to me. I’ve worked with a few Muslims that fast during Ramadan, and they’ve all still put in a full day at work during the 4 weeks fasting. They might take a day off for Eid itself, but that’s it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
should be built into the lead time or dont take the order if cant honor the delivery.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Sounds like a bollocks excuse to me. I’ve worked with a few Muslims that fast during Ramadan, and they’ve all still put in a full day at work during the 4 weeks fasting. They might take a day off for Eid itself, but that’s it.

This - I have a couple of Muslim colleagues and they always put in a full day during Ramadan. However, this is France, I don't know what the convention is in Turkey with respect to Ramadan but I suspect that you're being told porkies (pun intended).

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Many thanks.
Trouble is I have little faith (no pun intended) in the guy ive been speaking to as one minute he said the doors were going to be dispatched from the warehouse in Surrey this week and then two hours later, they’ve apparently not even been shipped from Turkey yet!

Sounds like this guy hasn't got a handle on things. He needs to open up and be more honest. But perhaps he is distracted, unhinged by the football and he isn't thinking straight. The key to this shipment is....are the goods in transit or are they still locked in storage abroad?
He shouldn't be leaving you hanging like this but sounds like he has all the front in the world.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

That's probably true in England, but in Indonesia we had five bank holidays plus the weekend over Eid. Its traditional to go back to your village to join family during Idul Fitri, Jakarta becomes eerily empty, and many people take added leave either side of the long holiday. I would expect, but don't know, that Turkey would be similar. Again, think offices in England December 23rd - January 2nd

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Our offices in the Middle East basically have a month of 'go slow' (reduced hours, leaving extra-early on Thursday) with output dropping to two bits short of naff-all (including the non-Muslims who use it as an opportunity to take the piss). The week of Eid is then, as others have suggested, akin to Christmas/New Year week here - people will either be not at work, or might as well not be.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is there such a thing as a Ramadan “expert”? :smile:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Sounds like this guy hasn't got a handle on things. He needs to open up and be more honest. But perhaps he is distracted, unhinged by the football and he isn't thinking straight. The key to this shipment is....are the goods in transit or are they still locked in storage abroad?
He shouldn't be leaving you hanging like this but sounds like he has all the front in the world.

I suspect you are right.
We will be giving him an ultimatum today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here