Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] wild birds

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Done. Am hoping that the new family of Swallows that fledged in the old stable behind us about 10 days or so ago find it. They may be out having too much fun chasing each other to notice though.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Done. Am hoping that the new family of Swallows that fledged in the old stable behind us about 10 days or so ago find it. They may be out having too much fun chasing each other to notice though.

There was a large group of swallows flying over our garden yesterday - possibly a dozen of them - they sounded like there were having a great time careering about.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
There was a large group of swallows flying over our garden yesterday - possibly a dozen of them - they sounded like there were having a great time careering about.

Sounds about right. We have 5 young uns, they all zoom into the stable one after the other, squawk a lot, then zoom out again 30 seconds later. Thankfully the local cats have had no luck with them.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I don't mind putting water out in my garden, I have a bird bath and a water tank lid.
But I wish the noisy tweeting :censored: wouldn't wake me up at 4AM.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Sparrows seem to be having a field day eating the hundreds of ants crawling crawling all over the patio. Now they option of a drink of finest Sussex tap water to help wash them down.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Always put a tray of water out for the birds during summer and change it regularly.
The sparrows are so funny to watch splashing about, like a lot of excitable kids.

Lots of people feed the birds but forget to put water out for them, especially when it's as hot as it is now.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Off topic but.......
I was at my sons home on Saturday, he has built a "pub" in his garden and invited family/friends for a football BBQ etc. After the match a young Magpie bird arrived and over the course of two or three hours perched on virtually everyone there, he/she even settled down on my head at dusk and seemed to be settling down for the night! My question is has anyone else experienced such strange behaviour from a seemingly "tamed" wild bird?
I worry for the birds safety as although it was more than able to fly it didn't appear to have any fear of humans and just wanted to remain in our company, as night fell we managed to help the bird into an adjacent hedgerow to hopefully roost? But cats in the area would probably have an easy meal if it wasn't able to remain hidden. My son has not seen it since so I am a little concerned!
Has anyone else had any experience of this bird or other strange behaviour? My son lives in the Southall avenue area of Brighton.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

This fine dry weather has produced lots of flying insects for them to feed on.

GM98

Sep 6, 2008
Shoreham
put some water out if you can, they're parched :down:

I put a bowl on the garage roof. A dirty great big Seagull flew down, had a drink then moved it to the middle of the garage, now I can't fill it up. He is now known as Selfish Seagull.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Off topic but.......
I was at my sons home on Saturday, he has built a "pub" in his garden and invited family/friends for a football BBQ etc. After the match a young Magpie bird arrived and over the course of two or three hours perched on virtually everyone there, he/she even settled down on my head at dusk and seemed to be settling down for the night! My question is has anyone else experienced such strange behaviour from a seemingly "tamed" wild bird?
I worry for the birds safety as although it was more than able to fly it didn't appear to have any fear of humans and just wanted to remain in our company, as night fell we managed to help the bird into an adjacent hedgerow to hopefully roost? But cats in the area would probably have an easy meal if it wasn't able to remain hidden. My son has not seen it since so I am a little concerned!
Has anyone else had any experience of this bird or other strange behaviour? My son lives in the Southall avenue area of Brighton.

Escaped/released call bird from a Larsen trap at a guess.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Off topic but.......

I hope it is OK, but I've seen magpies gang up on a weaker bird (a magpie), it's a survival instinct sadly. :nono:
On a brighter note, I'm liking the DIY pub! :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here