Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Italy v England- November 1976- Obscure Question

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I remember this match, a 2-0 defeat in Rome in November of that year. A bad start to the World Cup campaign that ultimately cost qualification. It's the first World Cup I remember.

I also remember it being on television. An afternoon game.

However, a page I read stated that it was only on Sportsnight as the government were worried about folk bunking off work to watch it. (Confirming it was an afternoon game as does footage).

I'm sure I remember watching it live though.

Can any NSCers confirm if my memories have fused or whether it was actually shown live.

One of those annoying puzzles that needs solving in my brain.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I think it shows the 1973 Poland game not being live,but I'm pretty sure it was

the 1-1 game that is

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think it shows the 1973 Poland game not being live,but I'm pretty sure it was

the 1-1 game that is

It must certainly was. I remember Brian Clough in the pre-match discussion describing the Polish goalie as "a clown" and how England would win easily

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We got revenge with a brilliant win a year later (Coppell and Keegan shone).

But with just one qualifying from the group, we missed out on Argentina.

And Peter Barnes

We only beat Finland by a couple and Italy hammered them I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
I remember the game being on Sportsnight. Think it was still 'Sportsnight with Coleman' back then.

Iirc, Revie played Brian Greenhoff in midfield when he mainly played at CB for Man United.

Jul 7, 2003
We got revenge with a brilliant win a year later (Coppell and Keegan shone).

First England match I remember watching on TV. I think I spent the early evening drawing three lions badges.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We were allowed radios in our art class then at school.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Scotland had a fantastic team at that time, who were considered one of the favourites to win it.

I leave it to others to show their results.

el punal

I remember this match, a 2-0 defeat in Rome in November of that year. A bad start to the World Cup campaign that ultimately cost qualification. It's the first World Cup I remember.

I also remember it being on television. An afternoon game.

However, a page I read stated that it was only on Sportsnight as the government were worried about folk bunking off work to watch it. (Confirming it was an afternoon game as does footage).

I'm sure I remember watching it live though.

Can any NSCers confirm if my memories have fused or whether it was actually shown live.

One of those annoying puzzles that needs solving in my brain.

I don’t think it had anything to do with the government as such, more the football authorities. If I remember correctly, back then, the only matches televised live (in England) were tournament matches (World Cup/Euros) and the FA Cup, even the League Cup final was a highlights job. I remember listening to that Italy game on the car radio, Radio 2 then.

England failed to qualify on a goal difference of 3 to Italy. Scotland went through, we didn’t and the rest is history.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
I well remember the game. Listening to it on the radio at work. I think Mullery had taken the Brighton players over to watch the game. I was at work in Crawley saying bring on Ward once we got behind.
Also I think in that campaign we only just beat Luxemborg away and Alan Hudson refused to play.
Compared to today's team spirit of togetherness, this was probably an example of all the competing egos & failure.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here