Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] European dominance

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Six teams left, all from Europe. Not a single African team through to the knockouts and only Japan from the Asian pool. That leaves a discussion about the South Americans; I have long hated the utter fawning over SA flair and the OTT love in for the Brazilians, once again the European nations have shown their dominance and tactics to be far superior.

Would people agree that the tactics of diving, rolling around, conning the ref and the antics we saw with Colombia the other night have had their day? It does not work anymore, if these teams want world dominance again they they need to move on from these awful histrionics to get close to the European sides.

Yes, I have had a couple of beers but thoughts?

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
VAR is a real pain in the ass for divers.

As for Europe - clearly where most good teams are and when more teams are put in the WC, the majority should come from Europe. We haven't even got Italy or Holland there. Instead we were treated to Panama. Farce.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
To be fair, Brazil dominated the 2nd half tonight and were unlucky not to take it to extra time against possibly the best other team in the tournament.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Enjoyed watching Peru

The rest can Foxtrot Oscar

Maybe the Mexicans could leave their beautiful girlfriends behind....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
To be fair, Brazil dominated the 2nd half tonight and were unlucky not to take it to extra time against possibly the best other team in the tournament.

They had to attack though, they were two down at half time. I just find the media fawning over Brazil at every WC bizarre as there are teams much better than them, France and Belgium in this competition and let us not forget they were ripped apart by the Germans in the last WC too.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
All South Americans are sneaky, cynical, play acting f..uck.ers.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Six teams left, all from Europe. Not a single African team through to the knockouts and only Japan from the Asian pool. That leaves a discussion about the South Americans; I have long hated the utter fawning over SA flair and the OTT love in for the Brazilians, once again the European nations have shown their dominance and tactics to be far superior.

Would people agree that the tactics of diving, rolling around, conning the ref and the antics we saw with Colombia the other night have had their day? It does not work anymore, if these teams want world dominance again they they need to move on from these awful histrionics to get close to the European sides.

Spot on. Europe's coming home. I have an idea. Why don't we European nations join together and......oops! :shrug:

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
They had to attack though, they were two down at half time. I just find the media fawning over Brazil at every WC bizarre as there are teams much better than them, France and Belgium in this competition and let us not forget they were ripped apart by the Germans in the last WC too.

It always amazes me how much people forget about context when looking at how a match pans out. Things like “we battered them and deserved to win” when it wouldn’t have happened if the other team hadn’t changed the way they were playing

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes and the quality will be badly diluted when the WC is enlarged.

Not really due to seedings:

Pot 1: Germany, Belgium and Isle of Wight (2 to qualify)

etc.

But it will prolong the early tooth pulling segment, as per Champions League...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
VAR is a real pain in the ass for divers.

As for Europe - clearly where most good teams are and when more teams are put in the WC, the majority should come from Europe. We haven't even got Italy or Holland there. Instead we were treated to Panama. Farce.

Others argue 'widening the franchise' is king....

I agree with you....manipulating qualification arrangments basd on geography would be like letting 5 teams from Cumbria enter round 3 of the FA cup...and only 2 from London.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

You know what. I was just checking to see if anyone had started a thread like this as if not, I was going to.

I think (as Trig said) that VAR has had a big hand in this. Snidey fouls in the box (or blatant wrestling) and diving have actually been punished/dismissed on a much more regular basis.

So cheating ***** like Neymar, Suarez, Pepe, the whole Colombia team etc have had a rude awakening.

I wasn't a fan of VAR being introduced in this tournament as I thought it was too soon. It's been far from perfect (my major bugbear being players not being booked for simulation) but it's definitely made things better.

Seems like the only bunch of cheats left in the competition are the ones who've probably taken PEDs and hopefully they'll be knocked out tomorrow. [emoji6]

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Aye - closer unity. European currency. European army. European football team. I can just see it now - Uruguay 1, Europe 2........... oh what days!
Yeah it'd be good to have a veto on stuff like that so we make sure it doesn't happen.....

STOP! No thread derailment to more Brexit crap please. This is actually interesting. [emoji3]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here