Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England's support in the latter stages of the world cup...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
First WC I can recall where we have been so hugely outnumbered, last game a great effort for the England fans but only around 3k in the stadium. Compare that with Japan / South Korea which was a lot longer trip

Will our numbers swell for Saturday, or it just too hard to get tickets, visa etc at short notice? Samara is also some 1000km from Moscow, a flight there is around £1500 return from the UK

el punal

I would imagine there are a whole load of reasons why there is a significant reduction in numbers of England fans attending. Namely, the England performances in recent tournaments have been dire, the team selected has hardly filled anyone with confidence, the perceived threat of violence to England fans (after France Euros), Russia has hardly been considered the most welcoming of countries, and finally, the cost of it all. Take your pick.

D

Deleted member 18477

I don't want to go to Russia either...

Can see the same happening at Qatar 2022

USA, Canada and Mexico 2026 on the other hand... :clap:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I would imagine there are a whole load of reasons why there is a significant reduction in numbers of England fans attending. Namely, the England performances in recent tournaments have been dire, the team selected has hardly filled anyone with confidence, the perceived threat of violence to England fans (after France Euros), Russia has hardly been considered the most welcoming of countries, and finally, the cost of it all. Take your pick.

i have half a dozen mates who are members of the official free lions supporters club , they have been to the last 3 world cups , they were put off primarily by the bad press and perceived threat of violence , nothing else , it's once every 4 years and football lovers save their pennies for events like this .........there was also a bit of jiggery pokery with visas being granted then withdrawn then granted again only a few days prior to booked travel dates but the media beat up was the main deterrent.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Seems it takes 72 hours to get a Russia visa so little if any time, think JCL's will be few and far between for this one

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Seems it takes 72 hours to get a Russia visa so little if any time, think JCL's will be few and far between for this one

How many official tickets have we sold for Saturday?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
there was also a bit of jiggery pokery with visas being granted then withdrawn then granted again only a few days prior to booked travel dates but the media beat up was the main deterrent.

Not true. Free visa's have been available for ages as 'Fan IDs' which can be applied for online once you have purchased a ticket. Piece of cake.

I've got my flights booked for the Semis and Final, fingers crossed fly out again Tuesday - can't wait

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

72 hours to get a visa if you don't have a ticket, but anyone that has bought a ticket for any game (or can find someone who has...) can get a free visa online

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Not true. Free visa's have been available for ages as 'Fan IDs' which can be applied for online once you have purchased a ticket. Piece of cake.

I've got my flights booked for the Semis and Final, fingers crossed fly out again Tuesday - can't wait

But bearing in mind our big attendances in the past are due to people turning up without tickets, I got into every game in 2006 buying from touts.

I'd love to know how Mexico and Colombia are getting so many fans in if it's needs to be legit to get a visa. The allocations from FIFA are usually pathetic

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
But bearing in mind our big attendances in the past are due to people turning up without tickets, I got into every game in 2006 buying from touts.

I'd love to know how Mexico and Colombia are getting so many fans in if it's needs to be legit to get a visa. The allocations from FIFA are usually pathetic

Anyone can get a tourist visa in advance through normal channels. That said loads of the South Americans have seemingly bought tickets to any old game to make the most of it. Apparently in Moscow you can get tickets for England / Sweden below face value from Colombians heading home! Allocations were certainly fine in our case, we didn't sell out a single game and now everyone is panicking because we're progressing! Bloody JCLs

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Its nice though that were not getting headlines about our fans throwing furniture singing about the IRA etc.

****ing England Band still got in though. If Southgate can manufacture a winning England side and break the curse of that rabble blighting the England matchday experience - then he'll deserve a knighthood

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Watched the 1-5 in Munich and went to Japan for 2002.

A wonderful experience for both in different ways. The 1-5 was straight after that Albion loss to Northampton the night before..how times change!

All of that said, being in England and in the pubs, bars, fanzones and on the beach when England win is always the best atmosphere.

So if you're not going to Russia, don't despair - you'll still have the best time out..and even more so if we win!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here