Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Spot the ball

Felpham Seagull

May 15, 2013
Felpham
Does anyone on here remember Spot the Ball my dad used to do the one in the Argus in the sixties and I think a lot of national papers also had it , you had to look at a picture of a piece of football action where the ball had been removed and put a cross or crosses where you think the ball is I believe you paid more for extra crosses .

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Does anyone on here remember Spot the Ball my dad used to do the one in the Argus in the sixties and I think a lot of national papers also had it , you had to look at a picture of a piece of football action where the ball had been removed and put a cross or crosses where you think the ball is I believe you paid more for extra crosses .

Yes!

I also remember one week (in the Argus) they forgot to remove the ball!!!

el punal

The Argus stopped doing ‘Spot The Ball’ after their photographer took a snap of Leo’s penalty shot a few seasons ago. Allegedly the photo was taken up by the Astronomer’s Weekly, who used it their publication in a article about how much rubbish is discarded in space.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Also remember something my dad used to run as a charity fund raiser. It was called Pontoon, and I think it was run by The Sunday People. Basic premise was each player was assigned two teams, and over a set period of time, 6 weeks I think it was though could be wrong, the player whose 2 teams scored nearest to 21 goals won, with a bigger prize for 21 exactly. The paper used to publish a full list of teams and the number of goals they'd scored.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
My mum used to do the pools, someone would come round once a week and she'd always get me to help with the spot the ball in the back.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I remember the old man doing the pools, coupon with money on top left by the front door. Think he won once and we went on holiday to Yugoslavia.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Pretty sure the argus still did this recently, might even still do it.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
The nearest I’ve seen in a few years is the Best of the Best competition usually sold at airport lounges etc. Also on line

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
33cf1025-ee9e-46cd-b065-0aa668295d47-620x412.jpeg
Think I read somewhere that they didn't actually select the winner by placing the original photo over the top but by using an 'expert' panel to decide where they thought it SHOULD be.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I vaguely remember my mum winning a couple of bob on Spot the Ball.
When I came of age, I decided to have a go at the pools with some money saved.
My first attempt was a stake of 1 pound and 20p and I duly won................1 pound 20p.
It had me hooked for about 3 months and then I stopped after no more wins.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Think I read somewhere that they didn't actually select the winner by placing the original photo over the top but by using an 'expert' panel to decide where they thought it SHOULD be.

I think that's right. I remember being completely gobsmacked by this.

Me too. And the fact that you could have several hundred crosses in effectively the right place and they'd find some reason to discount them all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here