Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Watching World Cup in The Railway, Portslade

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I'm thinking of meeting a mate from Worthing in the Railway to watch England Colombia. Anyone been in there for other England games and can recommend it (or not)?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Basically a creche with beer and burgers. Probably better choices for football.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Make sure you're up to date with your tetanus.

[edit]

I was thinking of the Victoria on the other side. I wouldn't go to either for the soccerball though tbh. If you want a half-decent pub by a station then I'd probably mince along to the Buckingham in Shoreham.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not sure if they show football. Be able to join a knitting group, if not.

Normally they don’t. There was an unwritten split of customers when they opened- The Vic got Sky Sports and karaoke and Railway got dungarees and small children. They are showing the World Cup.

I’ve had some cracking nights in there after the rug rats have left but it’s not a football pub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Make sure you're up to date with your tetanus.

[edit]

I was thinking of the Victoria on the other side. I wouldn't go to either for the soccerball though tbh. If you want a half-decent pub by a station then I'd probably mince along to the Buckingham in Shoreham.

Thing is, that will be packed, you'll get covered in beer (if we score), and probably turn a bit ugly if we lose. The Railway, you'll have a mixed crowd, it won't be all kids, there will be plenty of ladies too, and frankly despite a few kids dotted about, it will be a jovial atmosphere with a decent garden out back, nice range of ales. I'd pick that over a so called 'skysports' pub every day of the week.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Thing is, that will be packed, you'll get covered in beer (if we score), and probably turn a bit ugly if we lose. The Railway, you'll have a mixed crowd, it won't be all kids, there will be plenty of ladies too, and frankly despite a few kids dotted about, it will be a jovial atmosphere with a decent garden out back, nice range of ales. I'd pick that over a so called 'skysports' pub every day of the week.

I watched the Panama game in the Buckingham, and it was highly civilised. Was sat at a table with a buddy (yes, I do have one), unobstructed view. No hint of a dry lunch, very pleasant viewing. Maybe the 1pm kickoff was condusive to that though (7pm tomorrow might bring out the spackos who can't hold their drink). But I'd say the Buckingham was a largely positive England experience.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I watched us lose to Iceland in the function room at the back of the railway. It's not great football watching tbh

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

Are you still talking about the Buckingham Arms in Shoreham? :lolol:

You must live in bizzaro world or something.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Watched the Tunisia game there in the back room. Very cramped - too many larger tables and very little standing space. People kept walking in front of the projector as well as it's just propped up on a few books on a table. Not a great pub experience but good crowd.

Watched the others in the Station in hove. Far more space, lots of screens and good crowd.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I watched the Panama game in the Buckingham, and it was highly civilised. Was sat at a table with a buddy (yes, I do have one), unobstructed view. No hint of a dry lunch, very pleasant viewing. Maybe the 1pm kickoff was condusive to that though (7pm tomorrow might bring out the spackos who can't hold their drink). But I'd say the Buckingham was a largely positive England experience.

Fair enough, I stand corrected. :thumbsup:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I don't like that pub. Full of bearded hipsters and prannies.

Yeah I don't go there often normally, but the crowd has been decent enough for the England games so far. I'd rather bearded hipsters than dickhead kids chucking beer around etc

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I grew up in Portslade. Ah, the Railway and the Vic....and the Mill House....the ozone layer would forgive some fires I'm sure, and I could hold my bladder, comfortably.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I’ve watched most games in the Railway, albeit in Christchurch.

I know it’s not exactly on topic but its really got to me. it’s the only wet led pub left in the town and it’s showing every game. To give you just how quiet it is, just three people watched the Japan game tonight in two bars. It geats worse, the other two were the afternoon barmaid and her husband.

Best World Cup for years and, down here it seems the only interest in watching football down your local is in England games.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here