Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Plumbing problem - over flow pipe issue when hose attached to cold water supply.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Anyone got any ideas and more importantly how to resolve it?

With the current got weather always a nice idea to get the paddling pool out for the toddlers. However, when I attach a hose to the monobloc mixer tap in the kitchen and turn on just the cold water within minutes the over flow pipe on the side of my house is gushing water! In the end I had to abandon this and make a numerous trips with a bucket. Pretty primitive and impatient toddlers grizzling at the delay.

Is the only answer to bite the bullet and get an outside tap fitted or is their a cheaper simpler solution ?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Don’t let the children’s mother(s) hear you describe them as “pretty primitive”...

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Overflow from what? I'm slightly confused by what's happening here.
Taking a guess your cold water pressure is higher than the hot and with both on and the restriction of the hose water is being forced back up hot feed and causing overflow.
Anyhow outside taps very useful, just get one. Though done properly not one of those self cutting kits.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Taking a guess your cold water pressure is higher than the hot and with both on and the restriction of the hose water is being forced back up hot feed and causing overflow.
Anyhow outside taps very useful, just get one. Though done properly not one of those self cutting kits.

Would be my take on it as well. Get a proper tap fitted by watersafe plumber, should have a double check valve on the inside of the property and isolation valve.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Anyone got any ideas and more importantly how to resolve it?

With the current got weather always a nice idea to get the paddling pool out for the toddlers. However, when I attach a hose to the monobloc mixer tap in the kitchen and turn on just the cold water within minutes the over flow pipe on the side of my house is gushing water! In the end I had to abandon this and make a numerous trips with a bucket. Pretty primitive and impatient toddlers grizzling at the delay.

Is the only answer to bite the bullet and get an outside tap fitted or is their a cheaper simpler solution?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I’m no plumber but wouldn’t a non-return valve on the hot water feed solve the problem?

We had to have one fitted when we had a new shower installed.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I believe there are one or two plumbers on NSC. Give it a minute and they'll have a tea break and a browse of NSC :wink:

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
I am not a plumber but wouldn’t a swimming pool dug in your garden prevent the need for filling a paddling pool?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I am not a plumber but wouldn’t a swimming pool dug in your garden prevent the need for filling a paddling pool?

This is by far the simplest and more reasonable suggestion so far.

I was going to say a speedfit push on double check valve with integrated isolation valve that is dead simple to fit yourself, connect a bit of flexi mdpe pipe though the outside wall and stick a tap on it. But then I realise my mistake. :facepalm:.

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
I'm not a plumber but wouldn't a double jointed flange nurdle attached to the overflow valve and then in turn over-wrenched via your existing single jointed hobbler point remove the need for paddling pool completely?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

All of this :thumbsup:

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
I'm not a qualified plumber, but isn't the simplest solution to go away on holiday for a week or two? When you get back, it'll be usual summer weather and too cold for the paddling pool.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here