Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Is anyone else a member of Brighton People on Facebook?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If you think that it gets heated and extreme on the brexit thread on here, this place is like a catholic schoolgirl journal compare s to some of the threads on there.

This morning's binfest some old chap saw a " non white, non Christian" family sitting on the war memorial at the Old Steine eating a pic nic. His outrage about this apparent disrespect of the war dead was matched by people's outrage at his description of these people and like the brexit thread , has degenerated into personal abuse, ridicule, patronising comments and racist views.

It's tremendous.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Me? Obviously not :lolol:

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Yes. I've just seen that. I have made occasional entries on there but normally ones that won't cause controversy. A lot of folk struggle with respectful discourse.

The Hanover group is brilliant. Pure sandals and lentil bake yet excellent and helpful with a real community spirit.

Brighton past is an excellent group too.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I too would have been outraged by anybody using the cenotaph and surrounding lawns for picnicing. Bang out of order. It does demonstrate a total lack of respect.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes. I've just seen that. I have made occasional entries on there but normally ones that won't cause controversy. A lot of folk struggle with respectful discourse.

The Hanover group is brilliant. Pure sandals and lentil bake yet excellent and helpful with a real community spirit.

Brighton past is an excellent group too.

Love Brighton past also. That is so interesting.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I too would have been outraged by anybody using the cenotaph and surrounding lawns for picnicing. Bang out of order. It does demonstrate a total lack of respect.

Save your outrage for Carnage involving the unis. Urinating everywhere, girls as well as boys.

Brighton past is a great group.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Save your outrage for Carnage involving the unis. Urinating everywhere, girls as well as boys.

Brighton past is a great group.

I made no comment on the group! Is Brighton Past the group that organises historical walks around Brighton? I have been on a couple of them and very good they were too (even though I am a Brightonian and fairly well versed in the town's (now city's) history there is always something new to surprise!)

No idea about "Carnage" and not sure why you think I should be as outraged by that as I am by the total lack of respect for the memorial to our fallen. You can be outraged by "Carnage" if you see fit; it's your outrage to dissipate. But don't suggest that I should not be outraged by those turning the cenotaph into a picnic area.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Would your first reaction have been to post about it on Facebook or maybe have a quiet word with the chap ?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I made no comment on the group! Is Brighton Past the group that organises historical walks around Brighton? I have been on a couple of them and very good they were too (even though I am a Brightonian and fairly well versed in the town's (now city's) history there is always something new to surprise!)

No idea about "Carnage" and not sure why you think I should be as outraged by that as I am by the total lack of respect for the memorial to our fallen. You can be outraged by "Carnage" if you see fit; it's your outrage to dissipate. But don't suggest that I should not be outraged by those turning the cenotaph into a picnic area.

Eating a picnic isn't disrespectful. I'm ex forces, and my Dad served in WW2, in fact, 33 years in total.

Urinating in the water and around the war memorial is, in anybody's book.
Carnage is a Tuesday night in Brighton, just after the universities start in September, with a lot of the bars offering cut price drinks to students. I witnessed it first hand, after catching a bus from the Amex after a midweek game, as the trains were up the creek.

Brighton Past is a group for anything nostalgic in Brighton, such as photos of Black Rock swimming pool, people's families, schools etc. Anything from Brighton's past really.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Going back to the OP's quote of non white, non Christian - how did they know they were non Christian? Christianity isn't white.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Going back to the OP's quote of non white, non Christian - how did they know they were non Christian? Christianity isn't white.

Which was the crux of the debate.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Brighton
People
&
Facebook.

Not exactly the greatest of sales pitches. :lol:

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

...and most people who claim to be Christian are not.

Nobody has ever properly explained to me what 'Christian country' means. I assume it means either white or 'not Muslim country'.

As regards the Facebook entry- I'm not sure what speculative description of religion and the reference to skin colour was intended for.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I have to say the lack of respect shown by people during Pride around the war memorials infuriates me. In the water, sitting in the enclosed space, piss everywhere, cans and broken bottles. Pride is meant to be about respect for others. Where's the respect in that?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
It’s the same on many Facebook ‘local groups for local people’

There are some detestable people out there.

I’ll let you good folks decide if you think they voted to leave or not...... :whistle:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm not on Brighton People but I am on Haywards Heath Gossip.

That can get pretty fiery, believe me. :catfight:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here