Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Battle of the Somme started 102 years ago today.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Three million of our great-grandfathers fought and over a million were killed and injured so that we can be free in the bloodiest of battles where once again politicians failed their countries and sent young men to their death as a result.

We owe those who fought a huge debt.

Somme.JPG

Somme Accrington.JPG

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It seems not that long ago, given all the celebrations and commemorations that have been taking place over the years.
Thanks for posting :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Two of my great or great-great uncles, brothers, lost their lives at The Somme.

Incredible to think when I was born in the 60’s, this mechanised mass slaughter of millions had occurred just miles from these shores a few decades before.

Brave men who were forced to the front, and endured a living hell.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Not sure the war was to keep us free particularly, but you have to have to respect the fallen in this tragedy. Entire communities were left grieving, particularly with the 'Pals' Battalions. The cemetaries are heartbreaking. Children of 15-16 are well represented in them. Have been there several times over the years, and it still has an impact on your emotions. The amount of ordinance you see piled up on the roadsides, and what you can see in the fields and counryside is staggaring. We alone fired a million 'duds; in the week long artillery barrage. They also have no idea where one of the big mines is located that didnt go off. They have found them all apart from one. One went off in the 50s or 60s killing some picknickers.. Hopefully, they have not built a housing estate over the one they havnt found yet.

Last edited:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The madness of war, never solves anything. Been to numerous cemeteries when out golfing. The scale of death and especially the young ages makes you think

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
Worth remembering that yesterday was 102 years since "The Day Sussex Died", too: RIP Lowther's Lambs.
P1190379.jpg

Whatever you think about what that **** Gove glibly paints as the 'Blackadder' interpretation of WW1 (and despite his careerist drivel there are differing informed views on that) the Somme was a needless tragedy of truly epic proportions. What a waste.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Here in Exeter there is an incredibly moving exhibit, where a local artist has created little mannequins, each one individually-wrapped in a shroud. It's designed to reflect the 70,000+ British soldiers who lost their lives in that battle, but who also have no known grave. So powerful, and it's accompanied by murals on which are inscribed the names of each of these servicemen who lost their lives but whose remains have never been found or identified.

https://shroudsofthesomme.com/

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Worth remembering that yesterday was 102 years since "The Day Sussex Died", too: RIP Lowther's Lambs.
View attachment 98253

Whatever you think about what that **** Gove glibly paints as the 'Blackadder' interpretation of WW1 (and despite his careerist drivel there are differing informed views on that) the Somme was a needless tragedy of truly epic proportions. What a waste.

Needless is too simplistic and probably wrong word albeit I know what you’re trying to convey. We had to hit Germany hard, reduce pressure further east etc. A Centuary on I still don’t see how else the Generals on either side could have fought the war any differently. Or they would have.

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
We probably agree more than we disagree on this: I think what I meant was that, particularly in human terms, the Somme was needlessly wasteful. The necessity of a British offensive to support the French at this time is compelling, and I doubt that could have been achieved without heavy casualties even if it had been better done.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Honestly cannot understand the mentality of the soldiers who put up with the slaughter nor generals who treated men as expendable. Yes there will always be casualties but throwing men against impenetrable defences to their certain death was mass murder.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
A totally horrific war. Great that the horrors of it are taught to primary school children and that, despite the passing of time, we all still try to understand the unimaginable loss of life and the hell that those men experienced.

And Gove can go **** himself, the prick.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
A totally horrific war. Great that the horrors of it are taught to primary school children and that, despite the passing of time, we all still try to understand the unimaginable loss of life and the hell that those men experienced.

And Gove can go **** himself, the prick.

Imagine that slimey creature trying to lead men into battle! They would all push him over the top first!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here