Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Mortimer and Whitehouse - gone fishing

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I love this programme although I have no interest in fishing. I love Bob Mortimer especially when he is just being himself. It's just nice to be able to watch a couple of very humorous mates genuinely enjoying each others company. I had a couple of mates like that since childhood but unfortunately over the last few years, due to changes in their circumstances, we are brothers no more, so I watch a little bit in envy.

I used to fish a lot (and will do again soon when I pack in the rat race), but it’s really a bit incidental in this programme (Mortimer is useless anyway which makes it funnier).......I just love the pisstaking, whimsical discussion, reflections of a couple of middle-aged blokes who have had health scares and the fantastic scenery and filming. It’s a very easy watch, I love it.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
It’s a wonderful programme, with two great presenters.

They were lovely in real life, really nice guys.

Bob is something else. :D

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Just finished the second series on iPlayer.

The scenery is fantastic, although they manage to film no other incidental people, everywhere is empty, and it comes across a bit as a tourism promo. But they do make me chuckle, and references to Paul's recently departed dad are poignant as I lost mine last year too. Humility, that's what comes across and makes it a special watch.

PG

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Fantastic news :clap2:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5538/gone_fishing_series_3/

Third series for Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone Fishing
Thursday 7th November 2019, 4:15pm

Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse are filming a new series of Gone Fishing
The hit format will be back on BBC Two in 2020 with six more episodes

The BBC Two programme will run for another six episodes in 2020, seeing comedians Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse fishing and admiring some of the UK's most beautiful countryside.

Featuring the comedians and friends engaging in the art of angling, cooking, and exploring locations across Britain, a second series broadcast at the end of the Summer reached a consolidated audience of 2.2 million viewers. The series exists against the backdrop of the pair both having had major heart surgery in recent years.

The format will continue to centre each episode on catching a key species of fish, with Paul using his extensive knowledge of fishing to guide amateur angler Bob, and with Bob hunting out places to stay and creating heart-healthy menus through-out their travels.

Patrick Holland, Controller, BBC Two says: "When Paul and Bob first came to see us three years ago with the idea of making a series about fishing, we couldn't have imagined their daft idea would become one of the most loved shows on TV. Brimming with friendship, care, beauty, escape and a bit of fishing, it's a show we are so proud of on BBC Two."

Executive producer Lisa Clark adds: "With Bob and Paul we capture something very special. Genuine, authentic conversation. Much has been said about the magic of the series and all I can add is that making the series is unlike any other programme I've worked on. Bob and Paul are a sheer joy to work with and I'm delighted we're returning to eavesdrop on their riverbank conversations in some of the most beautiful locations in the British countryside."

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Like The Trip without the egos and the competitive edge.

Lovely, relaxing viewing.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Heads up, new series starts this Sunday on BBC2

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Mind, I just love putting Reeves and Mortimer Big Night Out on for a laugh. Timeless, original genius.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Just finding the time to start series 3 now.

First episode is life affirming, despite Bob's "gravity issues"!

That is for me the best episode of this or any of the other series.

Not to say the rest isn’t good, as they’re but that was a real high point for me.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That is for me the best episode of this or any of the other series.

Not to say the rest isn’t good, as they’re but that was a real high point for me.

Fantastic stuff.....a day Salmon fishing on the Tweed is high up on my bucket list of things to be done - was hoping for this Autumn but Covid has kyboshed that. Daughter lives minutes from where it was filmed, too.........

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
Fantastic scenery, amusing chat and wonderful music, some sung by Paul's mum. I've only just started it on i-player and I'm half way through series 2, it makes me feel old as I'm 76yo significantly older than Paul and Bob but I'm really looking forward to the remaining episodes.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
So much better and more natural than the Coogan/Brydon programmes which always felt too contrived and semi-scripted.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
So much better and more natural than the Coogan/Brydon programmes which always felt too contrived and semi-scripted.

Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon are playing fictionalised versions of themselves in The Trip, so some of it is scripted, some of it is ad-libbed, but even knowing this I agree it feels too contrived and not natural which is why I gave up mid way through the second season. Mortimer and Whitehouse - Gone Fishing pisses all over it anyway regardless. It's absolutely heartwarming TV, just two mates having fun doing something they love, I don't even like fishing but this is a must see program for me.

Music City Gull

Not Changing This, Bozza
Jun 28, 2020
12 South
Might get flamed for this and accept it might be of limited interest, but for those of a certain age (regardless of whether you’re into fishing or not) it’s a nice whimsical bit of telly..........

It’s finally on YouTube so I can watch it here in Nashville. Great show. Love Mortimer and knew Whitehouse from Death of Stalin. They crack me up, though I wish they’d show the pubs and little restaurants they eat at as I like following along their locations of google maps.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The great thing about it is so many of these types of shows are a bit too staged and often a bit too predictable, whereas this really does feel like you're sitting in on two mates having a weekend away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here