Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Jonatha Pie nails it again

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I don't disagree with him, but people who look for examples of "political correctness gone mad" where it hasn't, also piss me off.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Not sure if I should admit this but I didn’t find it funny, I just agreed with everything he said. Didn’t need all the swearing but hey- ho.....

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Excellent.

In many ways, I have no problem with political correctness gone mad. The issue I have is that the only group that doesn't have this kind of support of inclusiveness is the straight, white male.

Straight, white men can't highlight the issues they face. Depression, homelessness, parental rights, and so on. Frequently even highlighing any problems that straight, white men face will face a backlash from the minority groups.

That said, I'm not saying there should be a straight, white male pride day any time soon :lol:

What issues are faced by straight white males, that are not issues for black straight males ?

Excellent.

In many ways, I have no problem with political correctness gone mad. The issue I have is that the only group that doesn't have this kind of support of inclusiveness is the straight, white male.

Straight, white men can't highlight the issues they face. Depression, homelessness, parental rights, and so on. Frequently even highlighing any problems that straight, white men face will face a backlash from the minority groups.

That said, I'm not saying there should be a straight, white male pride day any time soon :lol:

Can you give some examples of frequent backlashes from minority groups after problems facing straight white men have been highlighted.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Excellent.

I think "political correctness gone mad" is a problem , its counter productive- it detracts from what are serious issues and inequalities and trivialises them. I get annoyed every year around gay pride when I see all the rainbow flags outside pubs, clubs, cafes, restaurants, coffee shops etc who for the rest of the year have nothing to do with the gay community but see it as a way of filling their tills and in some cases (hotels especially) putting prices up.The Wagamama signs, the coffee cup in rainbow colours is meaningless, what have they done to say"look at us aren't we great to you gays". The renaming of the literary prize, the removal of works of art in America because they were done by or depict confederates, its all poppycock. Times change, attitudes change, shoud we go back and rewrite all of literature, repaint great pictures because they depict things that are no longer seen as "correct".

The video is spot on, lets highlight things that are still wrong with the world, not look for anything that may be deliberately misconstrued to be something it isn't. Lets not look at things written by people when they were teens and then punish them years later after some oik of a reporter has trolled through years worth of tweets and facebook postings. In short -lets grow up, stop being offended on other peoples behalf, stop being all self righteous twonks, and above all celebrate the words of Llaura Ingles Wilder, and accept that her writings reflected society as it was then, and have given pleasure and still do give pleasure to millions of readers across the world

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Sorry to answer your question with a question, but why is that even relevant? Surely an issue is an issue regardless of ethnicity.

Think of the following sentences, which are deemed positive or negative by today's societal standards. It's contentious, they should all be equally acceptable or unacceptable, but in reality they're not.

I'm proud to be black.

I'm proud to be white.

I'm proud to be gay.

I'm proud to be straight.

I'm proud to be a woman.

I'm proud to be a man.

What are you on about? You can say you are proud to be a straight white man without it being an issue can't you? Though I don't see why you would want to unless you had a society in which being white, straight or heterosexual brought abuse and had a section of society telling you you were lesser because of any of those things.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Sorry to answer your question with a question, but why is that even relevant? Surely an issue is an issue regardless of ethnicity.

Think of the following sentences, which are deemed positive or negative by today's societal standards. It's contentious, they should all be equally acceptable or unacceptable, but in reality they're not.

I'm proud to be black.

I'm proud to be white.

I'm proud to be gay.

I'm proud to be straight.

I'm proud to be a woman.

I'm proud to be a man.

Why would you want to say you're proud to be straight? Or White? Or a man? I'm all of these things and don't feel the need to shout about it as in English/European society it's completely normal. Black pride and gay pride etc exist as a concept due to prejudice that has existed against these groups. No one has ever oppressed me for being a straight white man.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree with everything Jonathan Pie said in that video.

I also think he highlights a real issue about how to react to books / movies / TV produced when society viewed race / sexuality / ethnicity differently.

It is what it was. I assume we're OK to commemorate WW1 / WW2 veterans, even though most were mainly mild racists and homophobes? Accept the past and move on.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Why would you want to say you're proud to be straight? Or White? Or a man? I'm all of these things and don't feel the need to shout about it as in English/European society it's completely normal. Black pride and gay pride etc exist as a concept due to prejudice that has existed against these groups. No one has ever oppressed me for being a straight white man.

Theres always a shit excuse for this sort of thing , id have bet my bottom dollar it would be you that would trot it out , if there was a group for patronising fools im sure you'd be a member.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Is the following oppressing or depressing?

Theres always a shit excuse for this sort of thing , id have bet my bottom dollar it would be you that would trot it out , if there was a group for patronising fools im sure you'd be a member.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here