Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] The Day Sussex died

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
On June 30th, 1916, 366 men - mainly from Sussex - of the 11th, 12th and 13th Southdowns Battalions of the Royal Sussex Regiment were killed and over 1000 wounded or taken prisoner in the Battle of the Boar's Head. This black day was later known as "The Day Sussex Died", due to the high amount of casualties from Sussex who sacrificed their lives for King, Country and County.

On the 102nd anniversary of this poignant day we lower our Sussex flags to half mast to remember them.

"Stand or Fall for Sussex by the Sea"
Lest We Forget💙

The day Sussex died..jpg

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
On June 30th, 1916, 366 men - mainly from Sussex - of the 11th, 12th and 13th Southdowns Battalions of the Royal Sussex Regiment were killed and over 1000 wounded or taken prisoner in the Battle of the Boar's Head. This black day was later known as "The Day Sussex Died", due to the high amount of casualties from Sussex who sacrificed their lives for King, Country and County.

On the 102nd anniversary of this poignant day we lower our Sussex flags to half mast to remember them.

Lest We Forget��

View attachment 98230

Indeed it is. I have been doing some research for our local History society, and Cowfold lost nine men in that very battle. R.I.P. all of them.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

Lest We Forget��

View attachment 98230

Well done TB

I'm ashamed to say I knew little of this. I was aware that Sussex suffered lots of casualties during the war but I didn't realise it was the day before the Battle of the Somme. Lots of info here on Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Boar%27s_Head

In less than 5 hours The Royal Sussex Regiment had 17 officers and 349 men killed, including 12 sets of brothers, three from one family. Some of the survivors were still struggling back through no man's land a week later.

Nelson Victor Carter from Eastbourne was awarded a posthumous V.C. which is on display at the Redoubt Museum on the seafront and there is a blue plaque on his house at 33 Grey's Road.

Stand or Fall was never more appropriate; such a pity so many fell.

Next time I'm on a Somme trip Richebourg-l'Avoué is going to be my first stop.

I think today is appropriate to dust off my ceramic poppy.

We will remember them.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here