Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Sussex Ice Rink - Portslade?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Just noticed this in the Argus

Do we need a new ice rink? Have your say

Peter Kyle, MP for Hove and Portslade, said: “Brighton centre is a ‘black-hole’ which sucks all the city’s activities into it, so I’ve been very vocal about getting entertainment, sporting and health activities over to Portslade.

“I love the idea of piloting this with a trial, however, whatever is developed has got to be responding to local demand, so I urge the developers of the ice rink to engage in comprehensive listening to the local community and to ensure that residents are widely consulted on these plans.”

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/16323335.do-we-need-a-new-ice-rink-have-your-say/

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
It never happened at Brighton marina like it was supposed to.

Upper beeding cement works also didn't happen.

We'll never get one. Always talked about. But will never happen unfortunately.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Do we need a new ice rink?

No. No we don't.

At the one time of the year when this is used enough to be profitable - Christmas - there are already two, one at the Pavilion and one in Worthing. Imagine having an ice rink today. 30 degrees. I know kids, let's go to the ice rink.

Worse, they are proposing to put it at Victoria Park which seems to have been deliberately run down. The kids' play park there is always full of fag ends and broken grass. Our team's under 17s play there in the winter for home games and the pitches are terrible and goal nets often not present.

It's one of the last true recreation grounds left. I'd love to see the playpark updated much as they did to Fishersgate Rec near The Albion recently and the football pitches and changing rooms properly renovated and looked after. Then it could be used year round insead of for the only two months when there's competition everywhere.

No doubt this is the brainchild of one of the dungaree clad do-gooders that alternate between whispering in Kyles ear and posting on Buzz on Boundary.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

No. No we don't.

At the one time of the year when this is used enough to be profitable - Christmas - there are already two, one at the Pavilion and one in Worthing. Imagine having an ice rink today. 30 degrees. I know kids, let's go to the ice rink.

Worse, they are proposing to put it at Victoria Park which seems to have been deliberately run down. The kids' play park there is always full of fag ends and broken grass. Our team's under 17s play there in the winter for home games and the pitches are terrible and goal nets often not present.

It's one of the last true recreation grounds left. I'd love to see the playpark updated much as they did to Fishersgate Rec near The Albion recently and the football pitches and changing rooms properly renovated and looked after. Then it could be used year round insead of for the only two months when there's competition everywhere.

No doubt this is the brainchild of one of the dungaree clad do-gooders that alternate between whispering in Kyles ear and posting on Buzz on Boundary.

Put a 3D pitch down and properly maintained facilities for football teams , if they want to regenerate it

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

No. No we don't.

To be fair, every time I go past it there is only a handful of people there. It has 3 football pitches and I have never seen 3 being used at the same time.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Yes, it is a good idea. There needs to be more of ALL sports facilities. How are we going to develop the next Torvill and Dean if towns/cities do not have these facilities 7 days a week?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
To be fair, every time I go past it there is only a handful of people there. It has 3 football pitches and I have never seen 3 being used at the same time.

There are only a handful of people there because it's shit. A decent kids' playpark and a 3G pitch would make it a lot less shit. Want to guess the reason the last ice rink closed???

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Yes, it is a good idea. There needs to be more of ALL sports facilities. How are we going to develop the next Torvill and Dean if towns/cities do not have these facilities 7 days a week?

I assume you think it's such a good idea you'd happily fund it out of your own pocket through increased taxes or maybe even a private investment.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I assume you think it's such a good idea you'd happily fund it out of your own pocket through increased taxes or maybe even a private investment.

No, taxpayers as a whole should pay it and if it goes ahead you and I will.

Edit:come to think of it I am not under the B&H council tax area so you will. I think I might campaign for it.

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Probably needs to be tied in with the King Alfred redevelopment (if that every goes ahead), so that something like the Guildford Spectrum could be built.

Updated Swimming Pool. Ice Rink (which can double up as Basketball/Volleyball/etc Court) plus usual amenities would be good

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
People forget we had a famous ice hockey team massive support and rink and it was taken away much like the Goldstone and they promised they would replace it... much like the Goldstone. Only difference is we lost that one. Its not sitting well with me how easily people are waving this as insignificant.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
People forget we had a famous ice hockey team massive support and rink and it was taken away much like the Goldstone and they promised they would replace it... much like the Goldstone. Only difference is we lost that one. Its not sitting well with me how easily people are waving this as insignificant.

Spot on, some of the comments sound like the NIMBY's against the Amex Stadium. :lolol:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Go passed on a Saturday or Sunday August through May and you'll see all 3 pitches and more being used. If it was maintained and could take a bit of rain it would be used even more. B&H council have already produced a report to say the city lacks football pitches. Is this a football forum or ice dancing?

Plenty of sites for an ice rink in Sussex if there was the real desire for it. Trying to do it cheap on Victoria Park because the figures don't allow a commercial site, with no parking and the loss of recreational parkland is not the way to go. It is a complete non starter in this location.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

No. No we don't.

Just looked at Vic Rec on google street. Looks much nicer than it did when I played footy there (St Nick's weekly footy and 6th Hove cubs) in the 60s. Hard pitches, frozen solid in winter, dog shit everywhere. No trees. Mind you, an Ice rink there would be quite something. That said, a Richmond, Streatham or Notting Hill shed won't work.....Regarding it getting hot in summer may I introduce you to

air con.gif

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I'm reliably informed it's a non-starter in Vic Park for various reasons. He'll plug away and get his name in the Argus every once in a while though.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Agree... but what we shouldn't do is tear up one sports facility to replace with another.

Build an ice (or roller rink) on brownfield space NOT on a park.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here