• Var (rhymes with far)

Votes: 49 46.2%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As the World Cup organisers couldn't be arsed to arrange any football for this sunny ripe-for-beer-consumption Friday, we can get this big issue out of the way.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It's Vee Eh Are

You don't need a poll.

You have not been charged.

An assertion doesn’t make it necessarily so. Do you spell out the letters of SCUBA, RADAR, LASER? How about SWAT, IMAX or NIMBY?

You’re right thought, it is Vee Eh Are.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I'd love to see some analysis done on all the VAR decisions so far in the world cup (and non-decisions).

1. How many that have gone to VAR has the correct verdict been awarded?
a. Of those, how many that gave correct did so by overturning the original decision?

2. How many decisions that have gone to VAR resulted in a correct decision being overturned?

3. How many decisions that *should* have gone to VAR (to be overturned) didn't?

And once all those numbers are available, we can then determine whether VAR has made an appreciable difference in terms of getting decisions right. Or not.

From what I can tell so far (not paid a huge amount of attention) my gut feel is that the use of VAR *has* improved the rate of correct decisions being made. But it has also, perhaps, exposed some issues with inconsistency in how the on field Refs interpret some rules (eg Handball) - both between different Refs, and between Refs and the watching public.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Anyone who's had dealings with the computer channel has been saying Var for more than 30 years ... why change the pronunciation after so long. Anyone who says Vee Eh Ah is plain WEIRD

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd love to see some analysis done on all the VAR decisions so far in the world cup (and non-decisions).

a. Of those, how many that gave correct did so by overturning the original decision?

2. How many decisions that have gone to VAR resulted in a correct decision being overturned?

And once all those numbers are available, we can then determine whether VAR has made an appreciable difference in terms of getting decisions right. Or not.

From what I can tell so far (not paid a huge amount of attention) my gut feel is that the use of VAR *has* improved the rate of correct decisions being made. But it has also, perhaps, exposed some issues with inconsistency in how the on field Refs interpret some rules (eg Handball) - both between different Refs, and between Refs and the watching public.

I can't remember which match it was, maybe Argentina's last game, if VAR was a timed stoppage there should have been 16 minutes of injury time. :ohmy:

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
The system is not good news for career simulator Zaha, once it reaches it the PL.

If he initiates contact with the old dangling leg routine, no pen.
Not sure about that....

Definitely will get more yellows for simulation but with all the penalties at the World Cup, I think he will earn a few more goals too

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
image.pngshe also said she will change VAR back to 15% from 20%

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

This is part way there http://www.espn.co.uk/football/fifa-world-cup/4/blog/post/3533707/var-at-the-world-cup-a-timeline-of-the-tournament

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here