Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Hillsborough match commander David Duckenfield will go on trial *** Not Guilty ***

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
The match commander on the day of the Hillsborough disaster David Duckenfield will face trial for the manslaughter by gross negligence of 95 football supporters, a judge has ruled.

The decision to prosecute the former chief superintendent was made by Sir Peter Openshaw at Preston Crown Court who lifted a stay on his prosecution.

An order preventing him being tried was imposed 18 years ago.

Four other men will also face trial on charges related to Hillsborough.

Mr Duckenfield, 73, was match commander at the 1989 FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest when 96 Liverpool fans were fatally injured in a crush in the terrace pens.

Former Sheffield Wednesday club secretary Graham Mackrell is charged with health and safety, and safety at sports grounds offences.

The trial of Mr Duckenfield and Mr Mackrell is currently listed to start on 10 September."

Justice will prevail

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Whilst I have every sympathy with those who died and their friends and families I find it hard to understand how the inactions of one or two individuals can be so catestrophic. Froma policing point of view I think the cover up following this was their biggest error. The fact that their previously successful crowd control initiatives failed miserably in this instance should have been the focus post Hillsborough.
I agree that Sheffield Weds should bear a significant proportion of the blame as their arrangements were woeful.
The bottom line is though, whoever allowed, if there was a single person responsible, all those poor people to flood into the central terrace needs stringing up.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Whilst I have every sympathy with those who died and their friends and families I find it hard to understand how the inactions of one or two individuals can be so catestrophic. Froma policing point of view I think the cover up following this was their biggest error. The fact that their previously successful crowd control initiatives failed miserably in this instance should have been the focus post Hillsborough.
I agree that Sheffield Weds should bear a significant proportion of the blame as their arrangements were woeful.
The bottom line is though, whoever allowed, if there was a single person responsible, all those poor people to flood into the central terrace needs stringing up.

That man who is responsible is David Duckenfield the person this thread is about

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
That man who is responsible is David Duckenfield the person this thread is about

He designed/maintained the stadium too? And chose the venue? And fostered the culture of all fans being hooligans? Nope, Hillsborough was a national tragedy with a multitude of persons both responsible and accountable. Far too simplistic to heap the blame at one individuals door though no doubt DD actions that day had an enormous bearing on.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I read that as match commentator :facepalm:
If you hadn't posted that I'd have been reading the replies to my post wondering what the **** the problem was. I'd never heard anything about the commentator, and thought perhaps he was giving negligent advice that affected what happened that day :facepalm:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Not sure like this. Guy has to make a snap decision on his job whether or not to open a gate in stressful circumstances - it has horrendous consequences but could they really have been foreseen? Can you really lock someone up for that? I don't know.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Duckenfield made a monumental mistake with terrible consequences and then lied to cover up for his error for many years, amplifying the pain and suffering for the many affected by the tragedy.

There is a big "what if...?" with Hillsborough though isn't there? Duckenfield shouldn't have been in charge on that day. A horrible example of wrong place/wrong time >>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-27779353

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
He designed/maintained the stadium too? And chose the venue? And fostered the culture of all fans being hooligans? Nope, Hillsborough was a national tragedy with a multitude of persons both responsible and accountable. Far too simplistic to heap the blame at one individuals door though no doubt DD actions that day had an enormous bearing on.

Clearly I’m responding to DD being the man who allowed the turnstiles to be opened that day allowing the rush to occur. Clearly he is part of a cover up as well in regards to false statements ect afterwards. However no he can not be the only person responsible for what happened hence why others have also been charged with breach of health and safety and perverting the course of justice for what happened afterwards. But no doubt his actions have led to this tragedy happening and clearly he spun a lie for 26 years before someone finally enough and rightfully charged have been brought against him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here