Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] WC: Group H Deciders

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Japan and Colombia to qualify for me. Japan top.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The BBC commentator of the Senegal v Colombia game is a drama queen. Where long balls or crosses are being pinged in at either end, clearly going to defender in space, he's screaming as if great chances are on.

Might go for mute.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
I thought that was a clear penalty

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
What before the VAR, or still?

After the fifth time of watching it I can see that his heel had hit the ball, but he still clearly goes through the man.

If it were against us would you be so level-headed? He clipped the ball, yes but the challenge was daft.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
the one thing that does need to happen with VAR is that the players need to stop all getting around the ref and pleading for VAR at every decision, it's going to get reviewed anyway

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I couple of very tame efforts on goal for Senegal after getting into good positions. I can only assume they keep pressing the pass button instead of the shoot button. We've all done it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
After the fifth time of watching it I can see that his heel had hit the ball, but he still clearly goes through the man.

If it were against us would you be so level-headed? He clipped the ball, yes but the challenge was daft.

Emotion about "if it was against us" is irrelevant. Anyway, it might be Stones nicking the ball from a striker.

Daft - the defender had no option to stop a goal, it was high risk, but it worked.

It wasn't through the man. No complaints from the Senegalese players. Tacklers are allowed to touch the ball player, as long as it's not before the ball.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003

Conversely, if it was one of ours - Dunky say - getting his heel to the ball, and not doing it recklessly, then it would be great if he could do that without giving up a penalty. I haven't been a big fan of VAR, but if it allows technically good defenders to go for the ball in the penalty area with confidence, then I'm coming around to it, even though it is a massive change to the sport. At the moment, without VAR, you have defenders opting to do sneaky stuff like shirt pulling because they feel there is less chance they'll give up a penalty than if they get the ball legitimately and the attacker clatters to the floor. Hopefully there'll be less diving too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here