Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Nigeria v Argentina.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I absolutely love Maradona! Just a fan.. he doesn’t give a shite what anyone thinks. He played like a fan, cheated like a fan, would do anything to win, oh and was the greatest player ever to play the game.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Lin-acre read out the law & he got it right. Not a deliberate use of the arm, as explicitly stated in the law.

Drogba's technical contribution was strange - "it should've have been a pen, coz it would've put through Nigeria through".

The law says deliberate but it's very rare that a player truly deliberately handles a ball. It's interpreted loosely such that if players doesn't make an effort not to handle the ball when they could do so then it's often given as handball. His arm was outstretched and it stopped the ball going to the attacker. It could have easily been given but probably not clear and obvious so right call.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Nigeria will be disappointed with that.

We got a whole hand, they only got 2 fingers.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
I absolutely love Maradona! Just a fan.. he doesn’t give a shite what anyone thinks. He played like a fan, cheated like a fan, would do anything to win, oh and was the greatest player ever to play the game.

Maybe you should change your username to Captain Idiot?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I hated his 1986 cheating as much as any Englishman.

But I love the football of the elite to have ever played the game, including Maradona. He inspired also-rans Napoli to Serie A titles in 87 and 90, when Serie A was by far and away the greatest league in the world, dominated by brilliant AC Milan and Internazionale teams at that time.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Cant believe anybody thought heading the ball accidently against your jumping arm was a penalty. Rio and Drogba….No
Agreed. I like Rio, talks intelligently about football, but when it comes to referee decisions, his basis for a correct penalty is that he's seen them incorrectly given in the past :facepalm:

Delighted the ref had the balls to turn down the VAR referral.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Lols inspirational?

They had 1 chance in the second half and he should have buried it- or at least hit the target.

No composure on the ball at all

Inspirational given the gap in quality. One of their best players today has just signed for Stoke in the Championship. They did really well to restrict Argentina to so little. The margins were very tight, they could have won it.

The major chance was saved by the goalkeeper, so he did hit the target. They had other really good chances where they got through Argentina, but were not able to get a shot off.

They played their hearts out and they were unlucky.

I await more reactionary bollocks from you in future threads.

Harry Winks still the best player in the world?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The man's a twunt diego-maradona-double-middle-finger-argentina-goal-nigeria.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The law says deliberate but it's very rare that a player truly deliberately handles a ball. It's interpreted loosely such that if players doesn't make an effort not to handle the ball when they could do so then it's often given as handball. His arm was outstretched and it stopped the ball going to the attacker. It could have easily been given but probably not clear and obvious so right call.

Sounds like Lineker needs to explain it all to us again.

You're accurately describing erroneous decisions made by some poor referees. Often playing to the gallery, loving the drama of pointing to the spot. Mike Dean?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You have to feel for Nigeria but they had that chance to win, Maradonna is a Cupid stunt for that celebration.

Did I hear correctly the teenager in goal for Nigeria was 14 when in the U18 team that won their age group World Cup, amazing talent if correct

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I hated his 1986 cheating as much as any Englishman.

But I love the football of the elite to have ever played the game, including Maradona. He inspired also-rans Napoli to Serie A titles in 87 and 90, when Serie A was by far and away the greatest league in the world, dominated by brilliant AC Milan and Internazionale teams at that time.

Completely! I doubt Ronaldo (Portugal) or Messi could pull off what he did. The you tube clips of him with a football just training are just amazing. I know he cheated, had a drug problem, I know everyone in England hated him for the 86 handball, but he was imo the greatest player ever. There’s no way Ronaldo or Messi could have dragged that Napoli team out of the gutter like Maradona.

Last edited:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Gonzo Higuain looks a broken man.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Only for the first few games. Once players realize holding means a penalty they have no option but to stop it. Bruno will need to plan a new strategy!

Lucky for John Terry that he has hung up his boots..... that ridiculous blocking off clothes line thing he did was pathetic.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Completely! I doubt Ronaldo (Portugal) or Messi could pull off what he did. The you tube clips of him with a football are just amazing. I know he cheated, had a drug problem, I know everyone in England hated him for the 86 handball, but he was imo the greatest player ever. There’s no way Ronaldo or Messi could have dragged that Napoli team out of the gutter like Maradona.

Captain Knowledgeable, not Idiot!

My favourite all time player is Cruyff. He did a similar thing at Barca, giving them their first title in 14 years, when up against anti-Catalan 'powers' led by the dictator Franco.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Sounds like Lineker needs to explain it all to us again.

You're accurately describing erroneous decisions made by some poor referees. Often playing to the gallery, loving the drama of pointing to the spot. The Complete And Utter Shyster?

And as I explained refs rarely interpret that law as truly deliberate, in a really literal sense. They are given guidance on how to interpret the laws, which can vary slightly between countries. Handball can come from both action, and inaction. Former refs have talked about this, and it's why they often talk about distance, speed of ball, arm position, etc and whether they could have got out the way of it. How often does a player actually mean to handle the ball in the penalty area? Of course they try not to. Yet handballs in the penalty area happen all they time, based of how refs have been trained, although the Premier League has cut down on this in the last couple of seasons after issuing new guidance to refs.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
What a shame.I was hoping for a last kick of the match equaliser.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And as I explained refs rarely interpret that law as truly deliberate, in a really literal sense. They are given guidance on how to interpret the laws, which can vary slightly between countries. Handball can come from both action, and inaction. Former refs have talked about this, and it's why they often talk about distance, speed of ball, arm position, etc and whether they could have got out the way of it. How often does a player actually mean to handle the ball in the penalty area? Of course they try not to. Yet handballs in the penalty area happen all they time, based of how refs have been trained, although the Premier League has cut down on this in the last couple of seasons after issuing new guidance to refs.

Perhaps this is another advantage of VAR, in bringing to an end wrongly awarded handball penalties, with uniformity across refs and governing bodies, with everyone complying with the FIFA law:

IMG_2676.PNG

Good to see this working well in tonight's game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here