Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glenn Murray gets HGP status

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
To be fair - I know I bang the Argus drum from time to time (and NSC ) but this was scooped by a NSC poster early last week in one of the many HGP/transfer threads ...Forgive me - can’t remember the post - but they said they’d been told by the “Albion legal team” - will dig out.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Given that the point of the HGP rule is to try to help the England team it did seem odd that it counts against someone who’s English.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Given that the point of the HGP rule is to try to help the England team it did seem odd that it counts against someone who’s English.

isnt it now a EUFA rule, and subsequently has daft rules?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I didn’t realise that but yes it is a rule for European competitions. Similar to Glenn Murray, Eric Dyer of Spurs is not home grown.

Dier is a little different in that almost all of his entire youth career was in Portugal as he grew up there. Murray spent time with Carlisle and Workington Reds before spending about 3 seasons in the USA. We’ve managed to prove that he spent enough time with the two clubs prior to his move to the US to qualify as an HGP. Dier only has an 18 month loan spell at Everton in this country.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
To be fair - I know I bang the Argus drum from time to time (and NSC ) but this was scooped by a NSC poster early last week in one of the many HGP/transfer threads ...Forgive me - can’t remember the post - but they said they’d been told by the “Albion legal team” - will dig out.

Here it is...

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...e-today&p=8493154&highlight=legal#post8493154

Murray is HGP.
Club successfully appealed 3 or 4 months ago.
Source - member of clubs legal team.

by One Teddy Maybank

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Does this mean something like ?
Suddenly appears to be a fair bit of HGP headroom although currently only 6 definites or 7 if you include Baldock.

Steele
[Button ?]
Murray
March
[Moore ?]
Stephens
Duffy
Dunk
[Baldock]

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
It helps English players be back up keepers and 4th choice CBs or Strikers and 5th choice CMs but that's about the only way it helps them.

If teams do have 1st team players who are HGP then they still bring in foreigners below the subs bench in those last few 'squad' places.

It's pretty pointless but hey, all part of the fun especially when English players don't qualify and foreigners can.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here