Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Proposed new law on anti gay chanting

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

SAC

May 21, 2014
Seems odd that an ex rugby player would be concentrating on football matches, is there no homophobia in rugby and other sports? Why is the proposal limited to football matches?

As people are already being chucked out and being banned for homophobia at football matches, do we need a specific law?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Seems odd that an ex rugby player would be concentrating on football matches, is there no homophobia in rugby and other sports? Why is the proposal limited to football matches?

As people are already being chucked out and being banned for homophobia at football matches, do we need a specific law?

Without wanting to go off at a tangent, rugby has a blind spot when it comes to any type of misbehaviour in its crowds, they just point the finger at football fans. The worse close up examples of homophobia in sport I've ever seen was a bunch of home county toff types offering their opinions on Nigel Owens' attributes.....

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
In reality, all this means is that homophobic behaviour will be treated the same as racist behaviour. About bloody time.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

From what I recall of the excellent documentary he did last year he's an avid Cardiff City fan who also happens to be a high profile gay sportsperson.

Doesn't seem that odd to me that he'd have more than a passing interest on this subject.

SAC

May 21, 2014
From what I recall of the excellent documentary he did last year he's an avid Cardiff City fan who also happens to be a high profile gay sportsperson.

Doesn't seem that odd to me that he'd have more than a passing interest on this subject.

I don't think it's at all odd that he has an interest in the subject. I do find it odd that he only wants limit the proposals to football.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
"MP's bid to make homophobic chants at football matches illegal"

Isn't it already illegal? Not through a specific law that applies to football, but simply because it's illegal to say homophobic things?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I don't think it's at all odd that he has an interest in the subject. I do find it odd that he only wants limit the proposals to football.

It's probably a combination of what mikeyjh said and how often this comes up in the media. I do agree with you though; it should be as broad as possible.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

I am not aware that RU has ever had problems with racism nor homophobia. When GT came out to colleagues and fans there was a mass shrugging, mumblings of "yeah, so what" and the game carried on as before.

As the great Billy Beaumont once said "Football is a gentleman's game played by hooligans. Rugby is a hooligan's game played by gentlemen"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here