Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Keep winning or look for the easier knockout games?

What should England do on Thursday

• Win for the momentum

Votes: 141 77.0%
  • Lose for the greater good.

Votes: 42 23.0%

• Total voters

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Simple enough.

As we all know already, half of the draw, going forward, will be stacked with favourites while the other will be deemed 'easier'.

What should England do:-

Keep the momentum with another good win.
Or
Throw the Belgium game in order to make the path through to the final easy?

Oh and I do know this is all a bit bloody silly.
But we all know this is going to be pretty much the only thing that'll be on the schedule of Talkspite and 5Live, so I see no reason why we shouldn't have a go as well.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That wouldn't look very smart if England then lost their second round match.

It seems that some folk are forgetting that there is a second round match.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Keep that winning habit

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
After the experience of being pleased that we sorted an 'easier' draw against Iceland in Euro 2016, I would say keep on winning. However, a hard-fought draw against Belgium with us picking up a couple of bookings more, would maintain the momentum and still achieve the 'easier' route through.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I really don’t know.. but as [MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION] says - there is a tricky 2nd round match to come. I wouldn’t fancy playing Columbia or Poland despite their first results - and with the Senegal / Japan result, one of Columbia or Poland could still qualify.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
don't really care who we play in the knock out stages tbh

anything could happen

as long as we don't lose on pens

that would be a sickener

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Intrigued by the idea this is pitched as a straight up choice.

Personally I think Belgium could really bring England back down to earth.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Voted to try to win the game. I don't know how you would know that coming second is more favourable. Need to try to win all games and see how far we can get. That having been said I expect a number of changes for the Belgium match. Wouldn't want to risk a suspension or a player with a slight injury

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
By the time we kick off against Belgium, we will know who we play next in the event of a win or loss. Then we can decide whether to beat Belgium or not. It’s that simple.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
By the time we kick off against Belgium, we will know who we play next in the event of a win or loss. Then we can decide whether to beat Belgium or not. It’s that simple.
Right, but assuming Brazil have won their group, and Germany haven't won theirs, finishing second in our group would mean avoiding them. That has to be a good thing. It goes without saying that if Brazil finish second in their group instead, we should try and win our group.

Our last 16 game will be against any one of the 4 from group H, and it doesn't matter much which one, they're all of a similar level. We have to hope we can win that, and if we do, we want to do whatever we can to avoid Brazil in the next game.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Voted to try to win the game. I don't know how you would know that coming second is more favourable.
You look at the fixtures.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Intrigued by the idea this is pitched as a straight up choice.

Personally I think Belgium could really bring England back down to earth.
Of course they could. But Southgate should be thinking whether he wants to do everything he can to win that game, or give some players a rest and if we lose, ah shucks.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It has been a while since someone posted a new poll. I like this one, and voted 'win'.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Given Brazil and Germany are far from form, what is the easier side of the draw? They’re bigger names but that doesn’t mean they’re stronger than the suggested other teams. Keep winning and see how far it goes.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Ummm, I was thinking it will be the other way around.

All those quotes of Belgium showing us what we couldn't do against Tunisia.
Didn't we just do that against Panama?

I think quite obviously England and Belgium have done as well as each other in their first 2 games, which is made clear by the fact that they can't even be separated on goals scored. Both Tunisia and Panama are clearly very poor sides who each put up a much better fight in their first game than their second. I think it's as you were before the tournament regarding them playing each other.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here