Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Laptop graphics card question

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Hello. Advice required.

Need to beef up my standard laptop to make it more powerful for video editing. It's a basic HP £400 job.

Do I need a new graphics card or a new laptop?

Any sensible advice appreciated!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
forget about upgrading graphics on a laptop, unless you have a high end one where it may be detachable.

good news however, video editing probably does not require more graphics card, rather more memory. bad news is you may not be able to upgrade that either... lookup your model documentation on HP site and on Crucial website see if there are modules available and if you can buy larger capacity than already fitted.

just realised poster... you might want to get a proper workstation for film production work, with gobs of memory and hard disk.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
In what way do you need to 'beef it up'?
Is it the specific requirements of a particular video editing software? Does your current (and preferred) editing software work, but more slowly than you would want?
If you can give an idea of the software you currently or intend to use, you might get more specific suggestions. Equally, what kind of video editing are you intending to do? Editing a 30-second clip that you took on your phone and are posting to YouTube has different requirements to producing 15-minute glossy corporate vids in HD / 4K.
Do you actually need to use a laptop for editing, or can you continue to use your current laptop for most tasks, but would consider a desktop for editing? This would generally give you more power for your £....

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Do I need a new graphics card or a new laptop?
What are the specs for the software you're using, and what are the specs of your laptop?

I'd guess that video editing wants processing power and memory, more than a decent graphics card, but the software itself should tell you.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Get a new laptop, probably welded into the motherboard.

This. Usually on laptops the graphics is integrated onto the motherboard and not a separate card. Which means upgrading is pretty much impossible. Video editing generally requires a lot of CPU power and a motherboard that gets data in and out of the CPU quickly. You can pick up a desktop with i7 processor quite cheaply these days which should be more than adequate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here