Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Diving , play acting , face contorting

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Fifa missed a massive trick this world cup not using it to clamp down on all the acting and face contorting when barely touched . Never known it to be at these levels. Everyone at it.

It's like everyone's been studying Zahahaha on YouTube

If they can introduce VAR , you would of thought they could of clamped down very hard on all the embarrassing fake injuries.

Missed opportunity big time.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Pepe proved again today that he has absolutely no shame. Great defender but such an embarrassment with his playacting.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It reached a new nadir for me when that Tunisian mug was rolling around on the turf in "agony" after being hit on his side...by the ball. He even pulled his shirt up to check himself. Do these players not CRINGE with embarrassment later on when they see themselves doing this, in front of millions worldwide ?

You're right though [MENTION=365]Napper[/MENTION], its nothing new, but it seems to be absolutely endemic in this tournament so far. The slightest touch is sending players into writhing spasms of fake agony.

This is one reason why I have a lot of time for Lionel Messi. He routinely gets kicked from pillar to post by the opposition, but he just gets up and gets on with it. He received some brutal attention from Iceland the other day and took some hefty challenges. But aside from an occasional (justifiable) wince and a puff of the cheeks, he'd pick himself up and get on with the game. Its a shame there aren't more players with his attitude.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thankfully I didn't watch today's game between 22 cheats. Listening on the radio, there appeared to be a stoppage every 45 seconds for non-genuine fouls.

Terry Butcher was scathing of Pepe, in a late incident where a Moroccan slightly tapped his shoulder, only for Pepe to go down clutching his face as if targeted by a sniper. What a wnkr.

Pepe always was a cheat.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It reached a new nadir for me when that Tunisian mug was rolling around on the turf in "agony" after being hit on his side...by the ball. He even pulled his shirt up to check himself. Do these players not CRINGE with embarrassment later on when they see themselves doing this, in front of millions worldwide ?

You're right though [MENTION=365]Napper[/MENTION], its nothing new, but it seems to be absolutely endemic in this tournament so far. The slightest touch is sending players into writhing spasms of fake agony.

This is one reason why I have a lot of time for Lionel Messi. He routinely gets kicked from pillar to post by the opposition, but he just gets up and gets on with it. He received some brutal attention from Iceland the other day and took some hefty challenges. But aside from an occasional (justifiable) wince and a puff of the cheeks, he'd pick himself up and get on with the game. Its a shame there aren't more players with his attitude.

Totally agree with you. Over the past 10 plus years I've watched loads of Barca games. Messi's hacked from pillar to post by blokes twice his size, sometimes attempting to end his game quite violently. He just gets up.

He never caught La Liga Play Acting Disease. Experts in this field include Busquets, Ronaldo, Pepe, Ramos and Marcelo.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I think the use of VAR has led to these incidents being ignored, and it’s becoming frustrating, every time someone goes down there’s such an emphasis on whether it’s a penalty they seem to ignore the idea of booking anyone for diving therefore there’s no consequence. A lot of teams such as Tunisia seem to have a tactic of literally getting in the box and then going down no attempt of trying to score, knowing if they dive or go down it will go to VAR and they may get a penalty and if they dive they won’t get a card.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I'm sure it used to be the better players that sort of got away with it and then it spread. You can sort of understand a bit of play acting if your seeing out the clock and are hanging on 1-0 or something but these f*kers are going down like nine pins in minute 1 against teams ranked loads of places below them.

It's no longer the minority , almost everyone at it in varying forms.

The premier league is bad and you can barely tackle but this tournament is off the scale. Watch any game and there will be play acting within minutes, it is ruining it a bit if I'm honest.

Should be yellows and reds for it . No exceptions , if no free kick then yellow card . Fifa clearly don't see any issue with it.

Talking of cheats. Suarez has just banged one in.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think the use of VAR has led to these incidents being ignored, and it’s becoming frustrating, every time someone goes down there’s such an emphasis on whether it’s a penalty they seem to ignore the idea of booking anyone for diving therefore there’s no consequence. A lot of teams such as Tunisia seem to have a tactic of literally getting in the box and then going down no attempt of trying to score, knowing if they dive or go down it will go to VAR and they may get a penalty and if they dive they won’t get a card.

Very true.

Divers and liars about being hurt, now go completely unpunished. The sole emphasis of all officials looking for penalties.

If this is the brand new norm, Zaha and his fellow simulators, are going to win bucket loads of pen's next season.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Very true.

Divers and liars about being hurt, now go completely unpunished. The sole emphasis of all officials looking for penalties.

If this is the brand new norm, Zaha and his fellow simulators, are going to win bucket loads of pen's next season.

Thankfully there's no VAR in the PL next season.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Can't think of a tournament with so many penalties given. Not saying many were committed but plenty were given!

SAC

May 21, 2014
I'm not sure what you can do about it, how is a ref supposed to judge if a player has actually been hurt or not? I like the idea of play proceeding whilst a player gets treatment but this punishes any players that are really injured.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm not sure what you can do about it, how is a ref supposed to judge if a player has actually been hurt or not? I like the idea of play proceeding whilst a player gets treatment but this punishes any players that are really injured.

Clutching a different part of the body to that allegedly touched, peaking whilst lying on the floor then right as rain 2 minutes later, or no contact at all followed by parachute rolls.

They are all clinchers that VAR should pick up, for the ref to issue a mandatory yellow card at the next stoppage in play.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
[tweet]1009437783491039233[/tweet]

The odious Pepe up to his usual tricks today. Unreal.

I really hope someone properly maims him one day.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Brits are quite selective in what they consider "cheating" in football.

To me, cheating is: deliberately breaking the laws of the game to gain an advantage, or to take away an opponent's fairly-earned advantage.

Diving, feigning injury are covered because of simulation. And we all hate that (unless we benefit from it then what are you gonna do? Everyone else does it so we won't condemn Knockaert/Murray/Izquierdo...) Same with time wasting. Worst crime in the world. It's the worst thing in football... when we're trailing and our opponents are taking their time over everything.

Not only do we, as a footballing nation, generally not include it as cheating, we celebrate deliberate fouls - the taking one for the team to stop a counter attack, or to take out that guy on mazey run before he gets in the box, with no intention of winning the ball. It's heroic, noble, to deliberately foul an opponent with no aim other than to (illegally) stop them. It's not unusual for players who don't intentionally bring down an opponent to steal an advantage to be criticised for not doing so.

Why is throwing yourself to the floor seen as so much worse than risking the safety of your opponents to deliberately bring them down?

SAC

May 21, 2014
Brits are quite selective in what they consider "cheating" in football.

To me, cheating is: deliberately breaking the laws of the game to gain an advantage, or to take away an opponent's fairly-earned advantage.

Diving, feigning injury are covered because of simulation. And we all hate that (unless we benefit from it then what are you gonna do? Everyone else does it so we won't condemn Knockaert/Murray/Izquierdo...) Same with time wasting. Worst crime in the world. It's the worst thing in football... when we're trailing and our opponents are taking their time over everything.

Not only do we, as a footballing nation, generally not include it as cheating, we celebrate deliberate fouls - the taking one for the team to stop a counter attack, or to take out that guy on mazey run before he gets in the box, with no intention of winning the ball. It's heroic, noble, to deliberately foul an opponent with no aim other than to (illegally) stop them. It's not unusual for players who don't intentionally bring down an opponent to steal an advantage to be criticised for not doing so.

Why is throwing yourself to the floor seen as so much worse than risking the safety of your opponents to deliberately bring them down?

Cheating is something other do.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Things like taking one for the team, time-wasting and so on are blatant, obvious and punishable (if the ref wishes to do so). Diving / play acting is to con the ref. So, I do feel as though there is a difference.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

Actually, it very very simple and as you suggest - copy the egg chasers and allow the game to continue but the trainer can come on to treat without being asked.
If the player is feigning, he will have put his team down to ten men and if they concede, his team mates will only be accepting at the wake ....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here