Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] "Common scum who cost the railway millions and keep fares high"

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Starting a university degree. Doesn't exactly make anyone exceptional these days now does it?

What is your point?

Did anyone suggest it did? I was merely responding to a lazy suggestion that the victims were 'directionless'.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
What is your point?

Did anyone suggest it did? I was merely responding to a lazy suggestion that the victims were 'directionless'.

I was merely pointing out that going to Uni these days (starting a degree) is a bit like going to school in years gone by, expected, the norm, just being part of the crowd. It does not mark you out as being focussed in any way at all, just another believing that a degree might help get a better career, starting on the second rather than first rung at a fast food restaurant.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I haven't been to Lancing for many years now, but someone told me this week that they have closed the ticket office to reduce staffing costs, and replaced it with the barriers. However, the barriers can only be used when staff are present, and when there are no staff, they are left open.

Not much saving there then!

And when there are staff on the barriers they are bloody useless.

I can't remember the last time I saw the ticket office at Portslade open but there is usually a member of staff at the barrier. However, anybody wanting a ticket has to walk all the way back to the crossing to the card only machine (when it is working). If that machine doesn't work or you don't have a card, they will send you back over the crossing (or through the underpass) to the only cash ticket machine. I have even seen them send a woman with a pushchair and two young kids back over the crossing to buy a ticket.

At least at Worthing they will sell you a ticket on the barrier if the machines are US or the ticket office is closed. They won't ever sell a ticket at the barrier at Portslade.

The barrier operative job at Portslade must be a prime posting. They never have to do anything. But to be fair, they are extremely competent in their role.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was merely pointing out that going to Uni these days (starting a degree) is a bit like going to school in years gone by, expected, the norm, just being part of the crowd. It does not mark you out as being focussed in any way at all, just another believing that a degree might help get a better career, starting on the second rather than first rung at a fast food restaurant.

You’re making some sweeping generalizations here. All degrees?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Probably not - but nonetheless the cost to the TOCs and Network Rail of vandalism and trespass is enormous - it runs to millions of pounds every year. That has to be paid for, so yes, part of what you pay for your ticket does go towards repairing the damage caused by vandals. Anybody who doesn't realise this has to be incredibly dense. Maybe somebody could sort the toilets (and why are they closed, or need to be supervised? Wouldn't be anything to do with vandalism, would it?) and the lifts if they weren't too busy repairing the damage caused by vandals and trespassers.
I am talking about Worthing Central Station here in daytime! So you are assuming that the lifts and the toilets are closed due to vandalism on a busy station

Obviously if you accept the erosion of simple amenities such as these as acceptable you must be very dense?

Hard to believe in 2018 there are no working toilets on a mainline station? A station surrounded by spiked fences and guarded by CCTV, all installed at some cost I expect. a Station usually well policed by ticket checkers and periodically reinforced by Hi Vis wearing Mitchell Brothers on ticket crackdown.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
0594d20d6dac79c610267421c4c4e4d5.jpg

This was my local park about 30 minutes ago,I know it’s just a bench,it’s also a bench that some people like to sit on and have lunch,relax,reflect and generally enjoy the park.I cannot imagine many people will find it’s current state enhances their enjoyment of the park.
The council will,in time remove the graffiti,council tax payers will fund this and so the game of cat and mouse continues,until the individual concerned either grows up or moves onto railways and gets creamed by the 1438 to Oxted.

Urban chic

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
As a bit of paint doesn’t harm anyone, or impact the operation of the trains, the punishment will be pretty negligible yes? What do you suggest?

Apart from the brand new trains recently sprayed to death by idiots, all the windows the safety notices and alike. Yep what harm does it do? FFS

Can I come spray crap all over your car/bike/wife/house whatever

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Apart from the brand new trains recently sprayed to death by idiots, all the windows the safety notices and alike. Yep what harm does it do? FFS

:???:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Do trains have safety notices on the outside?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

What does it say? Is it one of those nanny-state Mind The Gap, Don’t Stick Your Head Out of The Window, This Cup of Hot Tea Might Be Hot warnings? I also saw a poster on the LU summer telling me to keep hydrated in warm weather; do you really need to be told this?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
As a bit of paint doesn’t harm anyone, or impact the operation of the trains,

Maybe the paint doesn't but the graffiti artists/taggers could impact the operation of the trains.
I have heard announcements saying trains delayed because of trespassers on the line, maybe some people just like a stroll along a railway embankment, but I'm sure some trespassers are spraying walls etc.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

We digress.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
What does it say? Is it one of those nanny-state Mind The Gap, Don’t Stick Your Head Out of The Window, This Cup of Hot Tea Might Be Hot warnings? I also saw a poster on the LU summer telling me to keep hydrated in warm weather; do you really need to be told this?

No it says, While spraying this train with your so called art beware your blood might decorate another

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A station surrounded by spiked fences and guarded by CCTV, all installed at some cost I expect.

At considerable cost - all made necessary by vandalism and trespass.

....and Worthing, Schmorthing, wherever - the usual reason for the toilets being closed is due to them becoming unfit for use..........

........because of vandals. Plus of course, more man hours could be dedicated to things like keeping the bogs open if they weren't being wasted scraping disgusting bits of body parts off the track, train and surrounding area of vandals who were too stupid to get not to get in the way of fast moving trains. But perhaps you'd rather they kept the bogs open and just left the body parts where they lay scattered about, as a terrible warning to others?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Yes. Probably thanks to EU regulations.......................................

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here