Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] France Telecom Suicides: Former Bosses Face Trial

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
How fair is this, is he responsible ?

The former chief executive of France Telecom and six other managers are to stand trial over a spate of suicides among their staff in the late 2000s. Prosecutors have long claimed they presided over a culture of harassment at the firm that led at least 19 employees to kill themselves. They are accused of "moral harassment".

Ex-boss Didier Lombard and his fellow defendants deny their tough restructuring measures in 2006 were to blame for the subsequent loss of life. The push for greater efficiency came two years after the company was privatised. Mr Lombard was trying to cut 22,000 jobs and retrain at least 10,000 workers. "I'll get them out one way or another, through the window or through the door," he was quoted as telling senior managers in 2007. Some were transferred away from their families or left behind when offices were moved, or assigned demeaning jobs. From 2008 onwards, at least 19 members of staff took their own lives, 12 attempted suicide and eight others suffered from depression and related illnesses.

Among the cases documented:

In 2009, a woman aged 32 took her own life at work in Paris A woman tried to kill herself in the eastern city of Metz on learning that she was about to be transferred for the third time in a year A man was found dead at home, after apparently writing a letter blaming his job In 2011 a worker aged 57 tried to kill himself as he arrived at work near Bordeaux Mr Lombard has accepted the restructuring upset employees but rejected the idea that it led to people taking their own lives.

France Telecom became Orange in 2013. "As it has always said, Orange rejects the accusations and will make its case during the public hearing which will be scheduled in the coming months," an Orange spokesman said in response to news of the trial. If found guilty the defendants could face two years in prison and 30,000 euros ($35,000) in fines.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
If they were bullying staff and the rate of suicides is statistically significant compared to the rest of thepopulation then yes, it is fair they are charged and if found guilty, serve time.

Employers have a duty of care. If the CEO didn't give a sh1t about the people who worked for him then he shouldn't have been CEO.

In short... if he is a bully and people died as a result then a manslaughter charge is a *very* fair result for the CJTC.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
If they were bullying staff and the rate of suicides is statistically significant compared to the rest of thepopulation then yes, it is fair they are charged and if found guilty, serve time.

Employers have a duty of care. If the CEO didn't give a sh1t about the people who worked for him then he shouldn't have been CEO.

In short... if he is a bully and people died as a result then a manslaughter charge is a *very* fair result for the CJTC.

Totally agree with all the above

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Hard to deny that their jobs might influence but extremely difficult to prove it was the managements direct fault

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Hard to deny that their jobs might influence but extremely difficult to prove it was the managements direct fault

A statistically significant increase vs national suicide rate and a significant proportion citing a bullying atmosphere at work in suicide notes... proof enough of the impact. From the opening post the report is clear enough that CEO and management were aware of their actions... proof enough of intent.

TBH, if you can show the intent and the impact then it's pretty straight forward. Looks to me like those charged have set out to make people's life hell. Employment law in France is pretty strict and so I imagine CEO has incriminated himself so much that his career is over.

I have zero sympathy. He sounds like a dispicable c*nt.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Absolutely should stand trial. It was his Intent to make people so unhappy that they resigned, which would leave them without the support they would be entitled to as a redundancy.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
A statistically significant increase vs national suicide rate and a significant proportion citing a bullying atmosphere at work in suicide notes... proof enough of the impact. From the opening post the report is clear enough that CEO and management were aware of their actions... proof enough of intent.

TBH, if you can show the intent and the impact then it's pretty straight forward. Looks to me like those charged have set out to make people's life hell. Employment law in France is pretty strict and so I imagine CEO has incriminated himself so much that his career is over.

I have zero sympathy. He sounds like a dispicable c*nt.

I really hope you’re right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here