Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Absolutely Sheeboed Tom Hark, Preston Park's Avatar

Scotland World Cup Winners 1978

2 Not allowed!
    On the eve of this 2018 World Cup competition, can I please ask that we all pause for a moment and quietly reflect on the 1978 competition, and it's unsung heroes: the Royal Mail Stamp Design Department

'Scotland's World Cup win stamp makes Postal Museum archive'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-40743632

Stamps commemorating Scotland's victory at the 1978 World Cup... are part of an archive of postal history.

They are held in the new Postal Museum, which is opening in central London.

As [this] event [never] actually happened, the stamps were never made.

Ally MacLeod's Tartan Army failed to win football's most coveted trophy....

The stamp designs will not initially be on public display at the new museum but are part of the archive collection there that can be viewed on special appointment.

Chris Taft, head of collections at the Postal Museum, told BBC Scotland: "What they (Royal Mail) do occasionally is produce designs of stamps in the expectation of them happening, because obviously these things take time.

The 1978 Scotland World Cup squad contained stars like Kenny Dalglish, Graeme Souness and Joe Jordan
    "If Scotland had been fortunate enough to win the World Cup that year, Royal Mail would obviously want to produce a stamp to mark it, and this was produced and designed but sadly never released.

"They don't do them for every World Cup on the off chance, but that year they obviously decided the chances were high enough to warrant a design."

''

Buy The Ticket,Take The Ride - Hunter S. Thompson

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!
      Even as an English kid, I was gutted they flopped. I remember the Peru and Iran results, and Willie Johnstone being sent home early for a drugs shame.

But I remember everyone else loving it. Even in 1978, there was Schadenfreude!

0 Not allowed!
      Yes lets remember the drug cheat

Joint winner NSC Predictor League 2017/18

1 Not allowed!
      18th April 1981 Cyrstal Palace 0 Brighton 3 (Gregory2,Smith1)
      Harry Wilson's Tackle Harry Wilson's tackle's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      The tartan army, 78. Manager reminds me of another jock ****, little David Steele, telling his pygmy troops to go back to their constituencies and prepare for power
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Q93v7hGZA
      Glenn Murray's a wizzard, he wears a wizzard's hat, And when he get's his cock out, he says 'I'll score with that'
      He scores them with his left ball, he scores them with his right. And then he scores one with his arse, he's ****ing dynamite

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Harry Wilson's tackle View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      The tartan army, 78. Manager reminds me of another jock ****, little David Steele, telling his pygmy troops to go back to their constituencies and prepare for power
      On politics / comedy, David Steele's speech at the Liberal Assembly was hilarious. Mocked by comedians of the right and left forever.
      Test your smoke alarm Bry Nylon's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hark, Preston Park View Post
      Chris Taft, head of collections at the Postal Museum, told BBC Scotland: "What they (Royal Mail) do occasionally is produce designs of stamps in the expectation of them happening. If Scotland had been fortunate enough to win the World Cup that year, Royal Mail would obviously want to produce a stamp to mark it, and this was produced and designed but sadly never released. They don't do them for every World Cup on the off chance, but that year they obviously decided the chances were high enough to warrant a design."
      It was shortly after this that Royal Mail introduced random drug testing for staff.
      ESU Zimmer Crew

0 Not allowed!
      And we'll really shake them up....

Although, in fairness, it was it was probably the strongest side ever to leave these shores- then and since. They won't assemble another team as strong as that.

I remember crowding round the telly for the match against the Dutch. Twas a Sunday evening (40 years almost to the day). If only they had come out the blocks as well.
      Quote Originally Posted by looney View Post
      ....and you seem to be hanging around these politics threads for an unhealthy amount of time...

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Brighton Lines View Post
      And we'll really shake them up....

Although, in fairness, it was it was probably the strongest side ever to leave these shores- then and since. They won't assemble another team as strong as that.

I remember crowding round the telly for the match against the Dutch. Twas a Sunday evening (40 years almost to the day). If only they had come out the blocks as well.
      The 1970 England squad contained great players throughout.