Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Gas and electricity suppliers

Ive just moved into a flat in Bexhill which has a temporary dual gas and electricity fuel tarrif. Obviously I need to change this and there are plenty of switch sites which I can use but is there any downside in using one of the smaller suppliers or should I stick to the big six?

And I assume I am better off with a dual deal than separate ones for electricity and gas?

Thanks in advance for your well thought-out and and extremely helpful replies :)

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Some of the smaller suppliers are fine and no issues but you must check customer service feedback/reviews as these can be awful

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I use Bulb who seem to be the cheapest a lot of the time and have been really pleased with them.
I can recomend you if you want £50 cashback too!!

Think Bulb are about to go up. I am on Octopus. My outgoings actually went down by £13 instead of the £12 it would have gone up with Eon.

I can also recommend if you want £50 cashback :)

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Use Flipper.

They automatically check your provider against the rest of the market, every few months. If they can save you £50 or more then they change you to a new supplier. It's great, and you don't have to pay until they've found you a better deal. I paid £15, for 12 months membership, and they check to see if I should switch every three months. If I switch within that 12 month period it's free. It's easily saved me well over £300 in the last year.

If I need to print off a bill etc then I log into my flipper account and find login details for my new supplier. It's very straightforward, and I'm only emailed by my supplier when they need a meter reading - so I get less spam. :thumbsup:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Been with OVO for six months or so, they seem fine to me, and we’re well rated when I used uSwitch

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Use Utility Wharehouse. Very good. If you get their broadband too (very very good) you get discount on both. If you add your mobile ( I haven't ) you get an even bigger discount. Not the cheapest but regularly Which? best provider.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Another vote for OVO here, I pay slightly extra for the 100% renewable energy, but am happy with that.
Good customer service, and they pay 5% interest on any money you have in credit with them

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
Don't assume that dual fuel is the best. It is usually cheaper to have separate suppliers.

Flipper is OK if you are the sort of person who would never check prices on your own. It sounds good, but will rarely be better than doing it yourself after the first switch.

The best comparison site is Martin Lewis's money saving expert Cheap Energy Club. It's the only one that I've seen that compares the rate you're currently on to the market rather than the government's "what you will pay in the next 12 months if you do nothing" measurement.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Ovo for me....not the cheapest..but its not all about price..as long as they are competitive...good customer service and easy to use app

Also, (this probably doesn't apply to the OP).....but some of the smaller companies aren't involved with the Warm Home Discount (?) which could make a big difference for the oldies when comparing prices

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Just switched to Bulb. Too early to say whether I'll have cause to regret it but a big part of the draw was that there is no lock in period, no penalty for leaving and no alternative tariffs. They offer one rate only so you know you're not being stiffed if you remain with them any length of time.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I used to be with OVO but switched to Octopus. You need to look at the Tariff prices.

My OVO 2 year locked in rate until Oct 2020 is:
Elec unit 11.39
Elec day 27.4
Gas unit 2.53
Gas day 27.4
Monthly cost is £97 based on annual usage of 4,997 Gas and 15,662 Elec

Did as you said and went and checked Octopus tariff
Worked out £120 per year MORE EXPENSIVE on the cheapest tariff - the green option was even more expensive
Elec unit 14.99
Elec day 18.9
Gas unit 3.39
Gas day 19.9

These prices and tariff are based on my location TF1 and total £££ is based on my actual usage in 2017
So others will get different results, but for me OVO wins by £120

Thanks for the info so far guys, very helpful. My first question, should I stick to the big 6 has been answered, at least some of the smaller companies are fine.

But Im still interested in whether a dual deal is better or is it cheaper to have separate deals.

Only one person has said separate is better, what do others think?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Also, (this probably doesn't apply to the OP).....but some of the smaller companies aren't involved with the Warm Home Discount (?) which could make a big difference for the oldies when comparing prices

And that's part of the problem. The big suppliers were forced to join the green energy schemes and the costs are passed on to the consumer. Depending who you believe up to 15% of the bill. So the government is partly to blame for high prices.

The smaller companies are not forced to join these schemes so automatically have a circa 15% advantage.

PS - I'm in no way defending the big six !

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Have been with EON for a number of years now and have had no problems.
Excellent customer service, fairly easy to understand website.
I am dual fuel, paperless account and pay by monthly direct debit.
I have a fixed rate tariff which may not be the cheapest but is certainly competitive and they always let me know by e-mail when they launch a new 'product' that may be a better deal for me.
Don't know anything about the smaller operators, but have read that customer service can be a bit of an issue with some.
For what it is worth, I take more notice of insurance renewals for house and car etc. Seems to be a huge disparity in prices compared to savings made on swapping gas and leccy suppliers.
Hope all goes well in your new flat.:)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here