Page 95 of 117 FirstFirst ... 458592939495969798105 ... LastLast
    Longing for retirement. AmexRuislip's Avatar

A Lucas Radebe view on PT!

2 Not allowed!
    Bafana Bafana legend Lucas Rabede has expressed his view on the situation Percy Tau finds himself in regarding his future with Premier League side Brighton and Hove Albion.

Tau is currently frozen out from staying at Albion despite signing a four-year deal in what was a South African record transfer from Mamelodi Sundowns last year.

The 25-year-old has since been left to ply his trade in the Belgian second division, where he was recently crowned Player of the Season.

It is unlikely that the Bafana Bafana star will find his way back to The Seagulls anytime soon, with the United Kingdom’s stringent work permit requirements yet to be met.

Radebe, who once starred at Championship side Leeds United during their days in the top flight, thus feels pity for his countryman and believes he deserves the chance to play in the ‘world’s best league’.

“It is difficult for Percy, if I were to put myself in his shoes – my ambition and aspiration is to play at the highest level and then you realise there are rules and requirements to be able to do so – it becomes demoralising,” said Radebe.

“But at the same time, you’ve been signed by a big club so you might as well make the utmost best of it in terms of where you are [placed].

“To be honest, for me, I don’t think he deserves that. I think he deserves to be where he’s put his signature and actually play. But of course, we’ve got to adhere to the rules.

“I feel bad for him, but I think he’s doing his best where he’s been placed in Belgium, and I hope that he does eventually get an opportunity to play in the English Premier League.”

The 50-year-old also pleaded with South Africans to take note of the permit rules and do what is necessary – which is to get Bafana back into the top 50 of the FIFA Rankings – be able to play in England.

“It’s also a reminder that, to play in the best league, you’ve got to be of the quality that is required, playing for your national team according to what’s needed [to get a work permit], so let it be a lesson for us as well,” he added.

https://www.kickoff.com/news/article...tuation/655758

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Even the pundit fraternity are giving their view on PT,

1 Not allowed!
      England and Arsenal legend Ian Wright has expressed his dissatisfaction at Brighton and Hove Albion’s decision to send Percy Tau to the Belgian second division.

The jury has been out in recent weeks over Brighton’s decision to sack manager Chris Hughton despite helping the club survive relegation.

The caravan club are going to love old Wrighty getting involved

More》》》》》》
      On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by AmexRuislip View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      England and Arsenal legend Ian Wright has expressed his dissatisfaction at Brighton and Hove Albion’s decision to send Percy Tau to the Belgian second division.

The jury has been out in recent weeks over Brighton’s decision to sack manager Chris Hughton despite helping the club survive relegation.

The caravan club are going to love old Wrighty getting involved

More》》》》》》
      He puts it harshly but he’s right on on both counts imo. SA are ranked 73rd so won’t make the top 50 anytime soon. Will Tau move on to a higher league club or will he be sold on? The chances of him getting a work permit in England seem to be years away at best.

It is an odd one but

Anyone else think that this signing was anything but a miscalculation by TB? He should make a profit on him and maybe he expected Tau to be the catalyst for promotion to the top tier for his Belgian club. Is Tau going to be happy spending another year there?
      Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser - Toto Wolff

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
      He puts it harshly but he’s right on on both counts imo. SA are ranked 73rd so won’t make the top 50 anytime soon. Will Tau move on to a higher league club or will he be sold on? The chances of him getting a work permit in England seem to be years away at best.

It is an odd one but

Anyone else think that this signing was anything but a miscalculation by TB? He should make a profit on him and maybe he expected Tau to be the catalyst for promotion to the top tier for his Belgian club. Is Tau going to be happy spending another year there?
      Just a shame he's not getting g a chance to prove himself, at the club that actually bought him!

0 Not allowed!
      i suspect that this was just a shrewd piece of business by TB - he knows he is never going to play for the Albion, but a couple of successful seasons somewhere and he will be able to move him on for a decent profit.
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      You were right, yet again.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by HantsSeagull View Post
      i suspect that this was just a shrewd piece of business by TB - he knows he is never going to play for the Albion, but a couple of successful seasons somewhere and he will be able to move him on for a decent profit.
      I know we all want to believe every gamble TB makes pays off, but that just isn't realistic, everyone makes mistakes, even Sir Alex Ferguson signed Djemba Djemba. Percy Tau looked like a talent, does look like a talent, and a bit like buying land before you get planning permission, there was a lot of potential upside to buying him cheap because his work permit wasn't in, but ...... it now looks like he won't get it, and we are unlikely to ever see him play for the Albion. Quite how we end up making a decent profit on him, I can't quite see. If he's knocks around in the Belgian 2nd Division for a couple of years and we as the selling club can never use him ourselves, I don't know how that will command a decent fee.
      "I looked straight across to Graham Turner and their whole bench was in tears."
      Wanna balloon? Johnny RoastBeef's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post

It is an odd one but

South Africa play in the African Cup of Nations starting in June. A run to the semi final should generate enough ranking points to move them into the top 50 in the world, making the transfer viable.

Not guaranteed, but by no means as bleak as you are guessing.

At least we have a genuine reason to support a team in a decent competition.

Come on Bafana Bafana!
      "Johnny RoastBeef had to keep them all tied up and away from the alarms"

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Johnny RoastBeef View Post
      South Africa play in the African Cup of Nations starting in June. A run to the semi final should generate enough ranking points to move them into the top 50 in the world, making the transfer viable.

Not guaranteed, but by no means as bleak as you are guessing.

At least we have a genuine reason to support a team in a decent competition.

Come on Bafana Bafana!
      Failing that reasonable scenario not playing out. An eye catching performance and some goals in front of the many European and Chinese scouts might see his transfer value soar to over £10m meaning TB could cash in on a very smart investment.
      :guitar:

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Rune View Post
      Failing that reasonable scenario not playing out. An eye catching performance and some goals in front of the many European and Chinese scouts might see his transfer value soar to over £10m meaning TB could cash in on a very smart investment.
      True, I think the much loved Jonathan Callieri saga opened Tony’s eyes to the potential profitability of player ownership, even if the player plays for a different club.

4 Not allowed!
      For those who wish to do the maths themselves, the formula used to determine fifa rankings can be found here.

South Africa are currently 85 points away from Norway, who are ranked 50th best team.

Norway have 1420 points

South Africa have 1335 points

Teams in The African cup of nations tournament will all play 3 group games, which earns approximately 20 FIFA ranking points per game won.

Then, if successful, a round of 16 game, which earns approximately 20 points to the winner.

Then a quarter final game which earns approximately 25 points to the winner.

Total available for reaching the Semi final is 105 points. This is more than enough to push South Africa into the top 50 ranking.

(Points are awarded on a sliding scale, determined by the quality of the opponent, and fewer points are awarded for wins by penalty shootout. So we want South Africa to play the best teams and win in 90 minutes.)