Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 'Big Six' to receive larger share of international TV money

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
A bit disingenuous as the Top 6 have to finish in the Top 6 to get the extra money. Leicester would have been honorary Top 6 for one year.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Though in principle I believe that English football would be in a better shape across the board if the money was shared equally across the divisions that is now unrealistic.

This is just putting the foreign money rules inline with the domestic. In theory it should make teams more competitive throughout the season rather than settling for survival/top four.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Going to make top 6 even stronger, which in turn will actually make their games LESS watchable.

Suppose in many ways won’t effect us massively as we aren’t competing with those teams in real terms but it is certainly going to increase the gap in what is quickly becoming a two tiered league.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This is a ****ing joke and bad for football in our country.

A bit disingenuous as the Top 6 have to finish in the Top 6 to get the extra money. Leicester would have been honorary Top 6 for one year.
They can freeze out clubs like Leicester by saying it's an average of the top 6 over the last few years.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
This is a ****ing joke and bad for football in our country.

They can freeze out clubs like Leicester by saying it's an average of the top 6 over the last few years.
As I read it, it will be position based rather than named clubs. So the actual Top 6 will get more in prize money rather than the "Big" 6 automatically getting it. Will probably be the same most seasons but that would appear to be the compromise - finish in the Top 6 and you are Big 6 in money for that season.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Going to make top 6 even stronger, which in turn will actually make their games LESS watchable.

Suppose in many ways won’t effect us massively as we aren’t competing with those teams in real terms but it is certainly going to increase the gap in what is quickly becoming a two tiered league.

...and thus a pre-cursor for the "big 6" to leave to create a european super league - leaving behind a better, closer and more entertaining PL. Sooner the better!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Just encourages lesser clubs to play 11 behind the ball even more now and keep the score down. Giving the bigger clubs more money will not help our football.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As I read it, it will be position based rather than named clubs.
I certainly wasn't suggesting they'd be as clumsy as naming the clubs, but I've seen other proposals in the past where it's the top 6 based on finishing positions over the last x number of seasons. Making it just 1 season would certainly be less awful, but still pretty awful.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not the end of the football World for me. 100M’s across the globe have a massive interest in the top 6 clubs. Plus in Spain Barca and Real grab the lions of TV money giving them a big advantage over Europe’s other mega clubs. The Albion will still receive broadcasting income beyond the wildest cash flow projections the Board ever imagined.

The interesting bit will be when another billionaire takes a non top 6 club into the top 6, in the same way that Chelsea and ManC came from no where. That will upset the usurped club.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Though in principle I believe that English football would be in a better shape across the board if the money was shared equally across the divisions that is now unrealistic.

This is just putting the foreign money rules inline with the domestic. In theory it should make teams more competitive throughout the season rather than settling for survival/top four.

There is an idealism about that, and would probably happen in Germany.

The Premier League is a different beast though, caught up in it's own marketing. To sell it's product to the world it needs the best players in the world. It therefore needs its top clubs purchasing the best players and needs to give them the clout to do it as happens with Real and Barca. It also knows it needs its lower clubs able to compete with the top 6 so it can sell more games at a higher price with less low audience fixtures. It is little to do with any notion of sporting fairness and everything to do with viewing figures as they strike that balance. Unless Spain changes its rules for a fairer distribution of TV money, it won't happen in the UK either. While Real and Barca can dominate transfers without wealthy backers, the PL will continue to try to give wealth to its top clubs as best it can.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Don't forget the clubs at grass root level of the
Pyramid system who make a strong bottom which keeps the Elite at the top

el punal

...and thus a pre-cursor for the "big 6" to leave to create a european super league - leaving behind a better, closer and more entertaining PL. Sooner the better!

An interesting thought, and something that I’ve had a feeling would happen sooner rather than later. Should it come to fruition I wonder what would be the set up?

Would it be a closed shop involving just the so called money clubs of Europe? I give you - our “top six”, with Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, PSG, Juventus and maybe teams like Atlético Madrid, AC Milan, Marseille.

Would there be a promotion/relegation strategy?

Would the competition be purely on merit involving just the winners of each European country’s domestic league?

Or, as I suspect it probably will be, a gigantic poker school type scenario where if you’ve got the dosh you’re in and if not, no matter how good a team you are, you’re not and it’s tough titty.

One thing is for sure - greed knows no bounds.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Capture.PNG :thumbsup:

Southwest Seagull

Jul 3, 2013
It's a load of rubbish and not all conducive to 'entertaining' football or an 'anything-can-happen' league which it relies on in its marketing. In general the vast vast majority of fans and journalists I've seen associated with the big clubs have hated the idea of this, I can only imagine that it's being pushed by those high up in the financial departments of the big 6.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here