Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] David Button for £4m? [Now: signed]

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Fulham fans pretty much all want to drive him here.

But Ben Roberts has worked with him, so...

:shrug:

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I really don't get it, with Ryan as No.1 but playing more and more games for Australia and the Under 23 playing Premier One surely now is the time to recall Walton and have him as our reserve keeper. The standard in Under 23 can't be far off FL Division One and Two so he will still improve and play first team cup games and cover for Ryan.
Save the four million!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Walton is still learning, and deserves to play regular football. Wigan want him in the Championship, so to keep him sitting on the bench, is bad management. He should be playing and then be ready to challenge Ryan for the number 1 spot, when he has a bit more experience.
Personally I would rather offer Krul more money to stay, than have Button.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Well if Tim Krul is going, and the Sun at least seem convinced that he is, l suppose we could do a lot worse. He seems to be well known to Chris Hughton, and Ben Roberts has worked with him previously, so they must think quite a bit of him. Christian Walton needs at least another season of regular Championship football, so l wouldn't be averse to it..

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I do hope the people saying 'recall Walton' to sit on the bench, aren't the same people crying about Goldson being sold for 'only £3.5m'.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I do hope the people saying 'recall Walton' to sit on the bench, aren't the same people crying about Goldson being sold for 'only £3.5m'.

But if Walton is the cup keeper, he then could get a decent amount of games as number 2, and could also play whilst Ryan is at the Asian Cup in January.

Also, Goldson is 25 whilst Walton is 22, so I don't think they're necessarily at the same stage in development.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
But if Walton is the cup keeper, he then could get a decent amount of games as number 2, and could also play whilst Ryan is at the Asian Cup in January.

Also, Goldson is 25 whilst Walton is 22, so I don't think they're necessarily at the same stage in development.

Plus keepers mature later than outfield players of course.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I really don't get it, with Ryan as No.1 but playing more and more games for Australia and the Under 23 playing Premier One surely now is the time to recall Walton and have him as our reserve keeper. The standard in Under 23 can't be far off FL Division One and Two so he will still improve and play first team cup games and cover for Ryan.
Save the four million!

Won't happen

Just The Goalkeeper is the one position where CH always sticks to experience.

At Newcastle he had 2 excellent keepers who were well thought of in their youth and who went on to be Internationals and ne didn't play them - Krull and Fraser Foster. They both went out on loan

At Birmingham he had similar with Jack Butland and didn't play him.

It just seems to be a position where he doesn't take as many chances with the youngsters and to be honest I sort of agree with it because you could be sitting at 0 - 0 agaist a relegation rival and a howler by the keeper costs you 3 points. The stakes are just too high now and thats why you need an experienced back up keeper because I think Maty Ryan's mistakes lessened when Tim Krull came in as back up.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here