Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Soccer's Unspoken Problem

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
A rather depressing read. I believe that there should be neutral doctors at every ground who would check out head injuries independently from club doctors and physios and their decision is final.
Obviously would not work at conference level and below, but at the highest level it should be in place.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A rather depressing read. I believe that there should be neutral doctors at every ground who would check out head injuries independently from club doctors and physios and their decision is final.
Obviously would not work at conference level and below, but at the highest level it should be in place.

I'm currently studying my level 2 coaching certificate in rugby and there's a mandatory module on concussion. The advice is that for any suspected concussion, get the player off the field immediately. If there's no doctor there, then get the player checked out ASAP, the feeling is that it's better to be safe than sorry. Clearly, at professional level there are doctors who can do an immediate HIA but that's not an option at most games, so just pull the player off.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
A well written and informative article.

As is mentioned above, a neutral doctor would remove any pressure on the player who has suffered concussion to stay on the field. Also if a player suffers concussion than there should be an additional substitute permitted again to ensure the player is removed from play.

Then the period of rest from both games and practice needs to be mandatory and set at a level that the medical profession set, with no exceptions.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
The NFL have a 'play smart, play safe' protocol in place which is pretty logical. Has a team doctor (who knows the player and the players history) and a neutral doctor. They review the play as all games are recorded and assess the player. If concussion is identified they're taken away into the dressing room. Large fines are handed out to teams who fail to follow this protocol.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
It has surprised me recently how much attention concussion gets in rugby, but in football a player stands up, looks in the physios eyes for a few seconds for some kind of check up, then with a pat on the back and a few shakes of his head side to side he's back to playing again

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
When I think back to the things we were required to head as 12 and 13 year olds (leather - wet, heavy and with laces, and on other occasions, basketballs - even heavier, I think, and certainly harder - hurt like hell) I sometimes wonder how any of us survived secondary education!

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
When I think back to the things we were required to head as 12 and 13 year olds (leather - wet, heavy and with laces, and on other occasions, basketballs - even heavier, I think, and certainly harder - hurt like hell) I sometimes wonder how any of us survived secondary education!

I believe a lot of players from the era of leather balls now have serious problems precisely due to repeatedly heading wet heavy leather footballs.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I believe a lot of players from the era of leather balls now have serious problems precisely due to repeatedly heading wet heavy leather footballs.

Alan Shearer presented a program last year on the BBC, on this subject in regards to links to dementia.
Very interesting stuff.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Yes I know, "soccer", don't shoot the messenger it's an American article.

Very good piece on concussions in football written by a bloke who's suffered four of them.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/alecko-eskandarian-soccer-concussions

Soccer is a British word which was coined in the late 19th century to differentiate football from rugby, it’s a corruption of Association Football. The Americans use it to differentiate between what they call football and what we call football. Oddly enough, Soccer fans I know in the States insist on calling it football anyway. John Lees, former BBC Sussex sports presenter always called it Soccer, so no need to apologise, it’s a perfectly acceptable English term.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Soccer is a British word which was coined in the late 19th century to differentiate football from rugby, it’s a corruption of Association Football. The Americans use it to differentiate between what they call football and what we call football. Oddly enough, Soccer fans I know in the States insist on calling it football anyway. John Lees, former BBC Sussex sports presenter always called it Soccer, so no need to apologise, it’s a perfectly acceptable English term.

Indeed - the word has been in common parlance since long before most of us were born:-

BlueBookofSoccer.jpg

SoccerCalling1946.jpg

VoiceofSoccer1947.jpg

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It has surprised me recently how much attention concussion gets in rugby, but in football a player stands up, looks in the physios eyes for a few seconds for some kind of check up, then with a pat on the back and a few shakes of his head side to side he's back to playing again

I don't think it is quite as obvious as that I think you do a disservice to the medical staff at a club. Difficult to come up with any examples of players playing on against medical advice, possibly apart from the case involving Loris.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, any hint of a head injury and it should be a crash team on and the player off to hospital.

In addition to saving some lads' health, it would also nip in the bud all that malarkey from players, who had their elbow touched, feigning a head injury.....

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
I don't think it is quite as obvious as that I think you do a disservice to the medical staff at a club. Difficult to come up with any examples of players playing on against medical advice, possibly apart from the case involving Loris.

No doing a disservice at all. Political pressure in rugby forced the medics to change their practices. Without the more recent draconian concussion protocols, the doctors / physios in rugby allowed (or were pressured into allowing) rugby players to play on after head injuries. I don't think it's a disservice to medical professionals in football to suggest that they might be behind the curve on this one, but they would need the FA to step in and introduce stricter rules to really change their practices I suspect.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

That's because so many of them fake injuries.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

I did not know that, cheers :thumbsup:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

I think for many of us those head injuries have started to show in our responses on this message board. I'm sure many of us can match a silly or reckless bollocks response directly to a blow to the head while using a leather ball to play football and trying to head it into the goal.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Thank you! I sometimes think I'm the only person who knows this.

Also, I know a few Irish who play and watch Gaelic Football who refer to Association Football as Soccer for the same reason of differentiation.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I see nothing wrong with adopting the rugby model for head injuries. Slightest hint of a concussion and off the player goes to get assessed by an independent doctor. If the doctor has any concerns whatsoever then the injured player cannot return.

You have a temporary substitute from the bench whilst the injured player is being assessed. If the doctor gives the injured player the ok to continue, then he replaces the temporary substitute.

So simple and easy to implement. It should only take those incompetent old blazers at the FA 12-15 years to make it happen!

Any scheme to protect players from potentially life changing injuries arising from head knocks / clashes can only be a good thing and should happen sooner rather than later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here