Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Have you any experience of curses?

exKT17

Nov 27, 2016
Argyll & Bute
Reading the Yaya thread & picking up on the theme of curses.

Way back I used to work for a businessman who, when no other avenues remained, would put curses on his adversaries.

(He was white, wealthy, upper-middle class BTW.)

No dolls and pins, he would simply wish them ill and share the fact...

...it was a no-lose thing to do...

...because if a year later, or two or three years later the 'cursee' lost their job/had an accident/got sued/died then the curse had worked...

...or if nothing happened, then the curse was still there, waiting for its time.

Doing so used to give him a great deal of satisfaction.

I know it sounds utterly stupid and anti-rational, but in my lizard brain I can see some functionality to it. I would prefer not to be walking around with curses upon me, and I think my life chances are better without them. Therefore I try to conduct my life in ways designed to avoid my becoming a cursee.

Making the world a better place, probably.

Clever dudes these ancient Africans say I, they had/have some very elegant social constructions in place.

Ever been cursed or made a curse?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I make a point of cursing mike dean.

I’ll now put a curse on him too. Can’t hurt.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Be careful, because, in the folk-lore of cursing, an unjust curse can bounce back on the curse-giver...

Ah.

Hang on - I think I have every just cause to put a curse on him. Curse, and be damned.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
When i used to get a knock at the door from a lucky heather selling gypsy, i used to say no thank you and stick your lucky heather where the sun doesn't shine. They would then put a curse on me and my family, to which i would reply, same curse back at you but with double the intensity. They would then apologise and retract their initial curse. Curses pffffft

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I make a point of cursing The Complete And Utter Shyster.

I’ll now put a curse on him too. Can’t hurt.

If the outcome for Dean is both deserved and fatal, it could well be a case of hearses for curses.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I quite like to issue mild curses, such as, "may your armpits be itchy all day today". The thing is, half the time, people will have a little rub of the pits after that one, and this is how curses work, if you think about them, and especially if you believe in them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have never consciously wished anyone ill. However, many people who has crossed me (especially the malicious and bullying types) have come a cropper. When I was 5 a lad made a mob of other nippers chase me home. A few days later a friend threw the purpetrator into a prickly bush. When I was 17, a pillock prefect who was 18 gave me a detention for getting to school 3 minutes late. A year later he as dead. Brain haemorrhage or something. I could go on.....

It is quite relaxing knowing that things always seem to work out well for me in the end. Come what may. :rolleyes:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I have never consciously wished anyone ill. However, many people who has crossed me (especially the malicious and bullying types) have come a cropper. When I was 5 a lad made a mob of other nippers chase me home. A few days later a friend threw the purpetrator into a prickly bush. When I was 17, a pillock prefect who was 18 gave me a detention for getting to school 3 minutes late. A year later he as dead. Brain haemorrhage or something. I could go on.....

It is quite relaxing knowing that things always seem to work out well for me in the end. Come what may. :rolleyes:

:eek: I'm glad you're nice to me on Nsc. :eek:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012

Brain hemorrhage in return for a detention seems just a tad harsh on the curse front there.
I was suspended twice, I dare not look at what happened to my teachers!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Reading the Yaya thread & picking up on the theme of curses.

Way back I used to work for a businessman who, when no other avenues remained, would put curses on his adversaries.

(He was white, wealthy, upper-middle class BTW.)

No dolls and pins, he would simply wish them ill and share the fact...

...it was a no-lose thing to do...

...because if a year later, or two or three years later the 'cursee' lost their job/had an accident/got sued/died then the curse had worked...

...or if nothing happened, then the curse was still there, waiting for its time.

Doing so used to give him a great deal of satisfaction.

I know it sounds utterly stupid and anti-rational, but in my lizard brain I can see some functionality to it. I would prefer not to be walking around with curses upon me, and I think my life chances are better without them. Therefore I try to conduct my life in ways designed to avoid my becoming a cursee.

Making the world a better place, probably.

Clever dudes these ancient Africans say I, they had/have some very elegant social constructions in place.

Ever been cursed or made a curse?

What an evil p***k, how did you manage to work with / for him?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

I think this is where I am. Some poor sod nicked a load of cassettes out of my Austin 1100 once and died a few days later in a crash and similar things have happened since that have made me think I'd rather people didn't cross me!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here