Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Friends who know nothing about football.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Sad in a way, with my love of the game, but with a few exceptions, the great majority of my friends have no interest in the Albion or football in general at all.

A good example of that came at the weekend when we met our friends from Patcham for lunch. How are the Albion doing nowadays asked my friend? What league to they play in again? We have friends in Ditchling too, who asked me if Brighton are at home this Saturday.

Now l know that football isn't everyones cup of tea, but even if they have no interest, wouldn't you have thought, that living in the city, these people would have some idea, that a) the Albion had been promoted to the Premier League, and b) roughly how well they were getting on? let alone the fact that the season finished a month ago!

Some people really must live in their own little bubble.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hardly surprising:-

Friends-TV-show-on-NBC-canceled-no-season-11.jpg

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Conversation at work with the new team member just now -

Q : Who do you support mate ?

A " Not into football "

Q " Oh ok , what sports you into

A " None really , have been to a few Rugby games though"

Where the f * k can you go with that.

Can't see us becoming great mates.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Men who don't like football are often a bit odd. A mate of mine actively despises it - all he bangs on about is his home brewed beer, his telescope, his dog, and cake.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Men who don't like football are often a bit odd. A mate of mine actively despises it - all he bangs on about is his home brewed beer, his telescope, his dog, and cake.

I can validate that point as I don't like football.

I don't view the Albion as just football, there's more to it than that, although not in a trite Shankley 'life and death' way.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
A colleague of mine, who is an avid Liverpool fan, asked me last night if Brighton had survived in the end. And he's a bloke who is generally quite well informed.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Sounds suspiciously like a friend of mine! Seriously though, wouldn't you have thought that even if you actually despised the game, living within Brighton & Hove as my friends so, that they would read something about Albion in the paper, caught a sports report on the radio, or even just overheard people talking about it?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Meanwhile, most of my ex's family weren't into football, so when I went to visit them, out came the awkward conversation piece, feigning interest. (Don't get me wrong - they were / are lovely people, just from a different universe...)

So I'd turn up at their house - everyone is being offered some wine on arrival.

"Hi Al, would you like some beer...?"

"Um... yeah, great thanks. Well, actually, may I have a glass of wine too...?"

"..." :ohmy:

OR...

"Hi Al. How's the, er... fooTball going?" (Have you noticed how people who aren't into football heavily accent the 'T', almost to make it sound disapproving?)

"Yeah, not bad. We're playing well and near the... top... of... Yeah, good."

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I do actually get it. I have no interest in cricket and although I live locally I have no idea which division Sussex are in and how good or bad they are.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I do actually get it. I have no interest in cricket and although I live locally I have no idea which division Sussex are in and how good or bad they are.

Nothing like the same media coverage though, plus all the brouhaha of our promotion to the Premier League last season.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I know plenty of people with absolutely no interest in football, some with an loathing of the sport and the huge coverage it gets on TV in modern times (not just matches, but football finance, change of club owners, transfers, managers, etc). I do get that - say just 1/3 of adults like professional football, but it dominates the media.

Some of the haters, adore F1 and/or Motor Bike Racing.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Anyone who enters my office (in Essex) is confronted by signed photos of Wardy and are regaled with tales of him and Spider, of Hereford and of Ron Harway. I do it deliberately and enjoy their discomfort. Particularly as none of them have any sporting allegiance or knowledge whatsoever..

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I recently started a new job and I'm lucky enough to work with a few Brighton fans. There's even a palace fan here called Nigel, which I find amusing.

I do get people not being into football though. As someone else mentioned, I live in Brighton but have no interest in Sussex cricket or have any idea who they play, how well they're doing etc.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Good on them I say. It's very cringe how it's expected that all men should like football. Some men I've met can only talk about football, introduce them to someone who doesn't talk about football and they're lost with how to converse.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A good example of that came at the weekend when we met our friends from Patcham for lunch. How are the Albion doing nowadays asked my friend? What league to they play in again?
Not just a lack of interest in football, but a lack of basic general knowledge. How the **** can they live here and not know?

We have friends in Ditchling too, who asked me if Brighton are at home this Saturday.
:lol:

Now l know that football isn't everyones cup of tea, but even if they have no interest, wouldn't you have thought, that living in the city, these people would have some idea, that a) the Albion had been promoted to the Premier League, and b) roughly how well they were getting on? let alone the fact that the season finished a month ago!
Yes. You have really stupid friends. It's like saying you don't know who the US president is because you don't have much interest in America.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here