Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] For those that watch Question Time

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Just watched last weeks and something occurred to me. I have my own views on politics and economics etc as most people do. Whenever I read threads on NSC posters often put up arguments that I hadn’t considered and I soften, or even sometimes, change my view. I have never had this happen when watching QT.

Why is it politicians and the like are unable to put forward a strong enough case to change people’s views to their way of thinking. Surely that’s what they are paid to do. If the good folk of NSC are able to put forward sensible cases for their opinions why the hell cant the people who run, or aspire to run, this country.

Anyone else find this?

Yep. They are essentially Cowards and moral weaklings, their only objective as career politicians is self enrichment so will not rock the boat.

Boat needs capsizing.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
Politician Jacob Rees-Mogg

Born 1969, but portrays someone from 1869 with the same views on life. His kids have the same nanny that he had all those years ago, probably still looks after him and tucks him into bed :lolol:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Janina Ramirez has dialled back the goth look a bit recently, hasn’t she? Not sure what I think about that.

I'm with you.

Plus I wasnt as keen on that at lovers series she's just done with Alistair Sooke. JR comes to life when she's either describing a boy king executing his uncle or looking moodily from atop a Norman turret.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I genuinely believe that the current crop of politicians (across the political spectrum, and with only a very few exceptions) are among the most bland, boring and untalented we've seen in this country for a long time. When the politicians are so uninspiring, is it any wonder they struggle to win anyone over? It's the reason why the fringe types (Corbyn, Rees-Mogg etc.) get traction because at least they're something different.

Agree with much of this, and got to ask yourself why aren’t more of us prepared to go into politics? Let alone the most talented. If we stop for a moment and think why? Because you’d have to be mad, it’s sort of like playing for England without the cash. An absolute poisoned chalice and for what £65k a year? No wonder politicians of yesteryear were mostly aristocrats. It’s simply not worth it, if you have enough talent to persuade an electorate to make you their MP chances are you can persuade a PLC to give you a job paying a lot more than that so why would you choose politics? Far easier ways to make a living that’s for sure

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Just watched last weeks and something occurred to me. I have my own views on politics and economics etc as most people do. Whenever I read threads on NSC posters often put up arguments that I hadn’t considered and I soften, or even sometimes, change my view. I have never had this happen when watching QT.

Why is it politicians and the like are unable to put forward a strong enough case to change people’s views to their way of thinking. Surely that’s what they are paid to do. If the good folk of NSC are able to put forward sensible cases for their opinions why the hell cant the people who run, or aspire to run, this country.

Anyone else find this?

You raise an interesting point, because the panellists are there to answer questions from the public, rather than given a platform to air their own views or go off on a tangent.

Given that the questions are usually topical, they relate to the news of that week and the same subjects keep coming up in the news you then get a rather repetitive format. Indeed, the questions are predictable and so easy to prepare for and bat off. Politicians on the show feel they have to toe the party line, they have a career to pursue. This is why people like Nigel Farage - a one-man political party - can look wonderful by comparison.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I just wish they would answer a direct question with a direct answer, usually the answer doesnt even match the question.

That’s where their shoe horning of their parties agenda comes in. Dave tries to pull them up but it happens so often I think he gets fed up with trying to stop them. Perhaps it should be renamed “Make up your own Question Time”

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The Tories live in such gilded cages they never see how the majority of us have to live. They don't see the potholes in the road, the austerity, the crowded understaffed, underfunded NHS, they don't do the minimum wage jobs with minimum holidays and little or no sick pay. They don't see that the majority of people have little or no cash to spend our way out of our miserly economy.

They trumpet that " there have never been so many people in work " and think that's a fantastic achievement yet fail to notice that Income Tax returns have dried up because for so many their only pay rise is either a government enforced increase in the Minimum Wage or increase in Personal Allowance.

When I was a kid I never saw what I see today, roads were resurfaced, even residential ones, Tramps were people you read about in books, pavements were laid with pride and repaired when cracked, we had clean public toilets and street sweepers, there was never piles of rubbish in the street. there was always talk of building things to improve the lot of the ordinary people, we built new schools, libraries and sports centres. There were busses everywhere, the police would patrol regularly and so people stepping out of line would be picked up pretty quickly.

Somehow we are the 5th biggest economy in the world but look around and all you see is either slow decay and reduction of facilities and opportunities everywhere. Will that get better ? of course not. The people at the top know the price of everything but the value of nothing.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011

Anyone else find this?

To be a good politician these days, you have to balance the opinions of your constituents versus your own and that of the party and, given how unreasonable the mob is these days, that's got to be an insanely difficult task. I have to hand it to them, I certainly couldn't do it. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
The Tories live in such gilded cages they never see how the majority of us have to live. They don't see the potholes in the road, the austerity, the crowded understaffed, underfunded NHS, they don't do the minimum wage jobs with minimum holidays and little or no sick pay. They don't see that the majority of people have little or no cash to spend our way out of our miserly economy.

They trumpet that " there have never been so many people in work " and think that's a fantastic achievement yet fail to notice that Income Tax returns have dried up because for so many their only pay rise is either a government enforced increase in the Minimum Wage or increase in Personal Allowance.

When I was a kid I never saw what I see today, roads were resurfaced, even residential ones, Tramps were people you read about in books, pavements were laid with pride and repaired when cracked, we had clean public toilets and street sweepers, there was never piles of rubbish in the street. there was always talk of building things to improve the lot of the ordinary people, we built new schools, libraries and sports centres. There were busses everywhere, the police would patrol regularly and so people stepping out of line would be picked up pretty quickly.

Somehow we are the 5th biggest economy in the world but look around and all you see is either slow decay and reduction of facilities and opportunities everywhere. Will that get better ? of course not. The people at the top know the price of everything but the value of nothing.
Don’t disagree but not helped by too many taking from a system they haven’t paid into

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports