Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Good omen for Seagulls?............

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Compare the stats.

Newly-promoted Burnley.... 2016/17: Played 38 Points 40 GF 39 GA 55....16th place.
2nd season after promotion 2017/18: Played 38 Points 54 GF 36 GA 39......7th place.

Newly-promoted Brighton... 2017/18: Played 38 Points 40 GF 34 GA 54....15th place.
2nd season after promotion 2018/19: Played 38 Points ?? GF ?? GA ??.....??th place.

Hardly anything to choose between the clubs' first season after promotion, points the same, Brighton one place higher, Burnley slightly better goal difference.

Could point to the Seagulls making a big jump (positionally and points-wise) in the 2018/19 season?:)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
On the flip side, have you never heard of second season syndrome? Many have fallen foul of it.

Just playing devil's advocate you understand.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
All that highlights is that it is not impossible for us to finish 7th next season, but it is still unlikely.

Then again, what were Leicester's stats in their first season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
On the flip side, have you never heard of second season syndrome? Many have fallen foul of it.

Just playing devil's advocate you understand.

Oh yes I remember Palace fans telling us about that when we moved into the Amex and they were warning us how our crowds would fall away to about 8k after the first season at the Gaymex.

el punal

Oh yes I remember Palace fans telling us about that when we moved into the Amex and they were warning us how our crowds would fall away to about 8k after the first season at the Gaymex.

How about this as a riposte. My grandson lives in Croydon (the south part, so not too bad!), an avid Albion fan with kit n’all. Most of his friends are from the same area, all aged around 9 and 10 and nearly all support . . . . . Chelsea!! :eek:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What are the chances of Burnley coming back down to their more traditional Premier League levels next season though? Especially with Europa league "distractions".

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I'd argue we have as much in common with Bournemouth. I think they fared equally well in their second season, didn't they?

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
What are the chances of Burnley coming back down to their more traditional Premier League levels next season though? Especially with Europa league "distractions".

I genuinely think this will be the case for Burnley next season. I’m taking nothing away from their achievements this season but they set themselves up as hard to beat just like us and picked up a lot of wins by the odd goal and ground out some draws - those type of matches could quite easily go the other way next season and they’ll be back down in the pack with us. Their Europa League campaign is likely to take it’s toll on their squad unless they get knocked out early doors.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
I think you can extend that sequence back an extra season too. I'm pretty sure we got promoted with the same number of points.

You are absolutely correct - just checked. Quite spooky that the promotion seasons almost mirrored each other.

Burnley... 2015/16.....93 points GF 72 GA 35

Brighton ..2016/17.....93 points GF 74 GA 40

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
All that highlights is that it is not impossible for us to finish 7th next season, but it is still unlikely.

Then again, what were Leicester's stats in their first season.

Leicester finished 14th with 41 points in their first season after promotion but were rock bottom for 65% of the season before taking 22 points from their last 9 games and then winning the league 12 months later. Mind-boggling that they only had 19 points from the first 29 games

Bournemouth finished 16th with 42 points in their first season up and 9th the following season with 46. Back to 44 points in this their 3rd season in the PL but it would have been their lowest PL points haul if we hadn't "gift-wrapped" them 3 points in the season finale at Turf Moor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here