Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Visa cards are currently NOT working

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Visa outage: payment chaos after card network crashes

The extent of the disruption is not yet clear but customers in the UK and Europe have been complaining that payments have been denied.

Barclays and Bank of Ireland advised customers to use ATMs to withdraw cash, which appear to still be working.

Visa is working to resolve the problem but one payments firm said transactions were now working intermittently.

The Payment Systems Regulator told the BBC it understood the problem to be limited to Visa card payments only. Mastercard said it was seeing no problems on its network.

Supermarket Tesco said that the problem was not affecting chip and pin payments, but that it was affecting customers using contactless payments.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It's intermittent. We've just done the weekly shop, and paid via Apple pay (linked to a Visa card) in Lidl's, then to Morrisons garage, but in Morrisons store just 25 mins later the payment was refused. Luckily my other half also has a Mastercard card, otherwise we'd have had to abandon the shopping, run right round to the bank to draw out cash.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yep...know all about this as my company is trying to fix the problem.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Mine didn't work in Sainsburys this evening. Problem is even worse because of the Talk Talk outage. Could they be linked ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yep...know all about this as my company is trying to fix the problem.

can you say the nature of the cause? the seeminly random impact looks like reduced network capacity.

the missus has fallen out with Lidl over it, not because of the problem but the attitude, not telling any one there was problem then getting shirty with customers who only have cards.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
can you say the nature of the cause? the seeminly random impact looks like reduced network capacity.

the missus has fallen out with Lidl over it, not because of the problem but the attitude, not telling any one there was problem then getting shirty with customers who only have cash.

Surely getting shirty with customers who only have cards ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here