Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Garage ‘fixing’ my car.

Bowers-sfc

forever red, never blue
Feb 20, 2011
Good morning, I thought the wisdom of NSC might be able to give some good advice on this issue...

Last Wednesday, my car decided to break down on the way home from a night shift in Bournemouth, had a massive coolant leak ( the aa finally recovered me, then their van broke down, so had to wait for a second van.
Anyway..

After after 4 days in the garage I got my car back. ( this was Saturday ) when I got my car, there was a note on the window screen to say ‘sorry I hit you car’...rubbish luck right?

On Sunday evening my engine management light came on...fantastic. Took the car to same garage Monday, as I’ve never had issues with this place when ever I have used them. Turns out to be a problem with the egr valve, needed a part replacing.

I finally got my car back yesterday...after driving about 10 miles, my clutch went. I’ve never had any issues with the clutch prior to this, so alarm bells are ringing.

I’m aware this could be coincidence, and I don’t want to start pointing the finger. The garage did tell me that it looked like some poor work had been done previously on the clutch when it was replaced before ( before I got it ) and they done some work to correct this.

It could just be I’ve got some bloody shit luck and the cars a piece of crap. ( highly likely )
But how would you approach this conversation with the garage this morning?

Sorry for the long post....

Thanks

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
So they've admitted having done some work on the clutch, and it went within 10 miles? I think you have every right to ask them to review the work undertaken and then come to a decison on how to resolve the matter amicably. No business really wants the possibility of shit reviews/word of mouth in todays social media obsessed society.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I'm always pretty sceptical about garages. They know that most punters know nothing about the workings of a car, so are free to fabricate the occasional bit of work that is unnecessary, and will give them a nice income. (I'm sure the majority are honest though). We had to get MOTs and both my wife's car and mine recently. We went to the same garage. On both cars, they said a tyre needed replacing to pass the MOT. Now I know my tyres, and there was nothing wrong with them. But what can you do eh. I wanted them to pass, so...

Re your problem, it is tricky as you don't want to sour the relationship you have with them. Have you asked them exactly what they did to correct it? Was it work that you hadn't authorised? I think you're within your rights to just say that it was fine before, so maybe hint that something they did triggered it - and ask if they can take a look as a courtesy?

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I think you can put this down to shit luck, the egr valve and the clutch are in no way connected.
Unless the garage have been seriously ragging it around and deliberately worn your clutch out, I think it’s pretty much a shitty coincidence.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
After after 4 days in the garage I got my car back. ( this was Saturday ) when I got my car, there was a note on the window screen to say ‘sorry I hit you car’...rubbish luck right?
If the garage are looking after your car, is this not their responsibility?
I finally got my car back yesterday...after driving about 10 miles, my clutch went. I’ve never had any issues with the clutch prior to this, so alarm bells are ringing.

I’m aware this could be coincidence, and I don’t want to start pointing the finger. The garage did tell me that it looked like some poor work had been done previously on the clutch when it was replaced before ( before I got it ) and they done some work to correct this.
When they had it did they tell you there was a problem with the clutch, and ask you if you wanted them to fix it? Did they charge you for working on it? And now it's gone, presumably their work covers it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if they touched the clutch, they need to fix it now its broken.
ERG could be coincidence or secondary affect of coolant leak, may have overheated.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I think he is saying they did work on the eer then he drove for 10 miles and the clutch went. The garage had nor touched the clutch. Bad luck me thinks.

About a month ago the turbo on my car went. A couple of days later the wife's car blew up due to water pump. Write off. Well and a half with no car. Bad luck.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
So what did you have done to rectify water leak ,new radiator or repair ,like stated the egr valve has nothing remotely to do with the clutch and is no where near it .
Egr valves can get clogged up and need cleaning out or replacing.
Did your car get towed back as this could have a detrimental effect on your clutch .

Shippers

Jan 12, 2016
if they touched the clutch, they need to fix it now its broken.
ERG could be coincidence or secondary affect of coolant leak, may have overheated.

Why would they touch the clutch to replace ERG valve? As previous poster said, not related.

Clutch is like brakes and tyres, consumable part that just wears out eventually. How many miles has the car got on the clock?
Normally though you start noticing a clutch wear when it starts to slip a bit in higher gears.

Bad luck I would say.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
You don't say what car you have but for some reason I'm thinking it may be something from the VW,Audi,Seat range.IF the coolant leak went into the EGR valve, and some are water cooled, this could easily have ruined it. What has their invoice said re: the work they have done, I assume you have an invoice, as this could be a pointer as to the likely way things have panned out.I'd be interested to know exactly what they have done with the clutch and how they could tell some work had been done (badly) before. The clutch as a component is not readily visible without removing the gearbox first. I think I detect the aroma of a rodent.???

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
The garage did say that they had worked on the clutch...

I think he is saying they did work on the eer then he drove for 10 miles and the clutch went. The garage had nor touched the clutch. Bad luck me thinks.

Bowers-sfc

forever red, never blue
Feb 20, 2011
Thank you for your replies so far.
Sorry I was a bit vague in my first post.

The car is a Vauxhall Astra, 57 plate and under 100k miles.

The first job they completed ( coolant ) they replaced a coolant pipe. This is where they say they spotted the bad workmanship of the previously done clutch. Due to the pipe they replaced and it’s location, they had to remove various parts and that’s they this come to their attention.

I did not ask them to look at the clutch when repairing as I’d previously had no issues with this. I have no written confirmation of the work they done on repairing any bad workmanship from the clutch, only a shit load of labour time on the invoice.

The egr valve I do think is a completely separate issue that they have sorted it seems.

From me getting my car back the first time, I’ve managed to do 23 miles before the clutch went last night.

Thanks again for your help.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
hmm - not looking good. Saying that they worked on the clutch but the work not appearing on the invoice, and then the clutch going, is dodgy as hell. Go and speak to them but be amicable, if you don't want a fight, don't start one. If they deny working on the clutch you might find that there is not much you can do so try not to lose your rag.

If they still refuse to co-operate in any way, name, shame and tell the world. You could lose them a lot of business, certainly more than the cost of repairing your car.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Right, very pertinent to the whole saga, what is the car, how old is it, and how many miles has it done, and how much service history does it have?

graysgull

Aug 23, 2003
Ask for an itemised breakdown of the Labour charges. That would probably show what work has been done. Easy to check if the charges are genuine.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I've recently had a new clutch but I had known for a full year that it was on its way out. I'm sure it was its original one and it pretty much 100,000 miles on it.

Would be interesting to know the make of car, age, mileage and how long you have had it yourself.

Don Parasol

Jan 29, 2017
I have had a vaguely similar issue to this recently.

Firstly 2 issues at once - engine warning lights came on and the engine went into 'limp-mode' with little power while on the A30 at speed. Also an unrelated knocking from under the car developed at the same time. They replaced an anti roll-bar link to fix the latter, and said the engine issues were a possible result of a turbo problem - too much pressure - but were unable to fix it so said I should monitor, and the next step would be to fit a new turbo.

Having got the car back, I then noticed loud crunching noises from the suspension a day later, which weren't there before they had the car (and the sub-frame off). So I booked it back in.

A few days later I break down on the way to work in London with the engine overheating (the warning light telling me to stop immediately, and the temp. gauge on max.).

Incredibly the garage couldn't find the reason for the overheating, and asked me to "monitor it for the next 1000miles or so"! With the suspension sounds, they agreed there was a loud sound, but couldn't find the reason for this and had found no parts loose, and, you've guessed it, they told me to "monitor it"!

With my work I always have my car fully loaded with gear, and I could no longer run the risk of not turning up to a job. It was a breakdown waiting to happen, so I have since changed cars.

For a main dealer to say they can't fix a problem once is bad enough, but three times in 3 weeks? Astonishing, but I had just put it down to incompetence, and laziness - if they can't find the solution quickly they lose interest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here