Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Union Saint-Gilloise

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Actually losing to Rangers isn't a bad thing imo. Europa League will be a winnable competition for them.

Had they qualified for the group stages, they would have got over 15 million euros. They'd need to win the Europa League to get a similar windfall. What's more, any wins or draws in the CL group stage are very lucrative for a club of USG's stature and a 3rd place finish means a Europa League spot.

Either way, a win last night would've led to a very tricky game against PSV Eindhoven so they probably would've ended up in the Europa anyway.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm not quite sure why Kozlowski isn't back on loan at USG. He knows the ropes there, they've lost Nielsen so need midfield quality.

We are stacked in his position so I can't see him getting game-time here and he'll need that if he's going to make the Poland World Cup squad.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Relatively easy Europa League draw for USG should see them easily make it out of the group stage

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Relatively easy Europa League draw for USG should see them easily make it out of the group stage

Hardly. Union Berlin have qualified for European competition two seasons in a row and are unbeaten in Bundesliga since March. Braga are no mugs thus in Pot 1. Malmo will hardly be a walkover - experienced Euro campaigners. The seedings with USG in Pot 4 reflect that.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I tuned into Rangers v Union and was left thinking how bad is that Belgium league if this lot won it. Maybe the new coach isn’t up to much.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I tuned into Rangers v Union and was left thinking how bad is that Belgium league if this lot won it. Maybe the new coach isn’t up to much.

It's not great but not terrible.

Compared to the PL it is obviously bad... but I'm sure the quality would improve if a bunch of petrol states bought all the football teams in their country.

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
After a 2-1 win over Anderlecht at the weekend, a bad day at the office for Union tonight with a 4-2 defeat at Antwerp. Own goal after 5 mins, 2-0 down after 15 mins...scored, then first of two Union red cards, 3-1 down in the 42nd minute and to finish off a miserable half conceded a penalty in injury time for 4-1. Second half managed to pull one back before another VAR assisted red card late in the second half...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
After a 2-1 win over Anderlecht at the weekend, a bad day at the office for Union tonight with a 4-2 defeat at Antwerp. Own goal after 5 mins, 2-0 down after 15 mins...scored, then first of two Union red cards, 3-1 down in the 42nd minute and to finish off a miserable half conceded a penalty in injury time for 4-1. Second half managed to pull one back before another VAR assisted red card late in the second half...

Aren’t Antwerp top?

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
Aren’t Antwerp top?

Yep, Antwerp are top with 6 wins out of 6. Union 5th on 10 points, although would expect Anderlecht to go above them tonight. Union back in action Sunday evening at home to Zulte Waregem.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Playing now, 1-0 up, Adingra starting (and got himself a yellow card.. again).

Completely missed that USG signed Victor Boniface who could very well become a Brighton player one day.

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
Playing now, 1-0 up, Adingra starting (and got himself a yellow card.. again).

Completely missed that USG signed Victor Boniface who could very well become a Brighton player one day.

Yeah, I had the same thought about Boniface as a potential Albion player.

Game live on the eleven sports app tonight in the UK.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yeah, I had the same thought about Boniface as a potential Albion player.

Game live on the eleven sports app tonight in the UK.

I've seen plenty of him in the Norwegian league - super talent, just didn't really get the breakthrough this season that many were expecting (still 14 goals in 30 appearances though). Great pace and great size.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
In Agatha Chrisities short story collection, entitled The Under Dog and Other Stories.
Hercule Poirot is mentioned as a fan of Royale Union Saint-Gilloise, often going to the games and commenting in the match day programs. :cool:

Having just read that book, I can confirm that this is not true. Maybe you are thinking of a different book? But I've been unable to find anything linking Poirot to USG.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here