Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League mulling over a whole round of fixtures to be played overseas in the future.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
How does playing one round of fixtures overseas stand with the integrity of the competition, given that half the teams will lose a home fixture which statistically they are likely to gain more points from than playing away.

Given the closeness of the relegation battle, it could be the difference between staying up or going down, depending on whether you played 19 or 18 home games.

And all those before we get onto the issues for the fans, but I see from the report, we effectively don't count

I guess teams would alternate every year, losing a home game one year and and an away the following season.

I wouldn't mind a January holiday if a fixture was played in India or China if it meant the club gained an extra £10 million a season, as long as the club subsidised the travel.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You wouldn't believe one of English footballs selling points is the atmosphere at the games.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
You cannot compare a UK football club with an American Football franchise (well except for MK Dons), some of their teams started on one side of the country and now play 1,000 of miles away because somebody else bought them

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
So if we have to play a game overseas somewhere, does this mean that foreign teams have a game here?

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Doesn't make any sense. Oh sure you can flog Man Utd vs Liverpool to any city in the world and they'd fill out their stadium for it. But how many cities are going to be wanting to host Newcastle vs Watford? You'd struggle to sell that out in either Newcastle or Watford, never mind in Abu Dhabi.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
Doesn't make any sense. Oh sure you can flog Man Utd vs Liverpool to any city in the world and they'd fill out their stadium for it. But how many cities are going to be wanting to host Newcastle vs Watford? You'd struggle to sell that out in either Newcastle or Watford, never mind in Abu Dhabi.

Games involving any of the big 6 clubs would be worth a fortune if auctioned to the highest bidder. That would mean 12 teams take part each season and the rest are unaffected.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I guess teams would alternate every year, losing a home game one year and and an away the following season.

I wouldn't mind a January holiday if a fixture was played in India or China if it meant the club gained an extra £10 million a season, as long as the club subsidised the travel.

Like that'd ever happen.

Alternating the home/away thing every year wouldn't work out either, because 3 clubs wouldn't even be involved the following season. If you've been narrowly relegated after getting dry-humped by Bournemouth in Tokyo, you might be looking back ruefully at playing what would've been one of your home games on the other side of the world, against a relegation rival.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
Like that'd ever happen.

Alternating the home/away thing every year wouldn't work out either, because 3 clubs wouldn't even be involved the following season. If you've been narrowly relegated after getting dry-humped by Bournemouth in Tokyo, you might be looking back ruefully at playing what would've been one of your home games on the other side of the world, against a relegation rival.

The promoted teams would simply fill in for the relegated teams to enable continuity in the sequence.

A game in Tokyo would be amazing, but unlikely to be against Bournemouth as the only games appealing enough would involve at least one of top 6 clubs. The clubs would have to subsidise a portion, if not all of of the travel, to get the fans approval.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
How many loyalty points needed to get a ticket as I suspect 95% of the tickets would be given to the local city

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
The PL seem so determined with finding a new audience that they'd risk losing the one they've got. Tragic really.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
How many loyalty points needed to get a ticket as I suspect 95% of the tickets would be given to the local city

If the clubs ran a free ballot where 1000 season ticket holders from each team got free travel and accommodation, would that be enticing enough?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The promoted teams would simply fill in for the relegated teams to enable continuity in the sequence.

Thats not going to be much consolation to the 3 teams who are relegated that season, after playing 18 home games instead of 19 though is it. Totally unfair.

The clubs would have to subsidise a portion, if not all of of the travel, to get the fans approval.

:lolol:
If they go ahead with it, do you really think the fans will be consulted ? When do the fans ever get a say in anything ??

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
Thats not going to be much consolation to the 3 teams who are relegated that season, after playing 18 home games instead of 19 though is it. Totally unfair.

:lolol:
If they go ahead with it, do you really think the fans will be consulted ? When do the fans ever get a say in anything ??

They already shelved the 39th game idea because they couldnt gain any traction with fans, so to sell the idea this time would take some sort of inducement.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
If the clubs ran a free ballot where 1000 season ticket holders from each team got free travel and accommodation, would that be enticing enough?

Not that they would ever offer that but I’d like to think (probably naively) that supporters would boycott such an offer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Siberia is in Asia

True enough, but in 2010-11 Siber Noversibirsk (based in southwestern Siberia) qualified for the Europa Cup.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here