Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Where's the best funfair in Sussex?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Was chatting to a mate about this. Maybe it's just rosetinted but back in the day, going to a funfair in the evening for a few goes on the grass-cutter and Big Wheel, shooting at or throwing at targets etc was a bit of a laugh.

Any good ones still going or are they all tamed down and lame nowadays or simply over run by the high dickhead contigent of youth today?

Looking for nostalgia hit.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Have fond memories of the carnival week in Eastbourne which was accompanied by a great funfair in Seaside recreation ground. Great old classic rides like the The Waltzer, Octopus, Dive Bomber & the Hearts and Diamond centrifugal wheel.

I think the funfairs now struggle against the like of the Alton Towers and Thorpe Parks. Ironically I even wonder if some people are little wary of safety issues. If a huge corporate set up like Alton Towers get it badly wrong how likely are they to trust a down market affair run by travellers

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Have fond memories of the carnival week in Eastbourne which was accompanied by a great funfair in Seaside recreation ground. Great old classic rides like the The Waltzer, Octopus, Dive Bomber & the Hearts and Diamond centrifugal wheel.

I think the funfairs now struggle against the like of the Alton Towers and Thorpe Parks. Ironically I even wonder if some people are little wary of safety issues. If a huge corporate set up like Alton Towers get it badly wrong how likely are they to trust a down market affair run by travellers
I used to love the fair at seaside recreation ground. Those were the days when the fair was huge.

Zeff

Jun 1, 2009
Southwick
They tend to be the same ones year on year in West Sussex, eg Coles, Bensons and Stevens so unless they get new rides, or someone from outside the area joins one of the above, it’s the same rides year on year in the same places. The decent thrill rides tend to do all the festivals nowadays, but given the cost of them, they need to get a return on them ASAP, and when you have upwards of 20,000 people at a festival, your not going to take them to Buckingham Park in Shoreham on a Thursday night ��

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Never been a big fan of funfairs. I'm sure half the stranger danger videos they used to show you in the eighties featured funfairs, which may have scarred my mind.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The one at the Level used to be terrifying (for a small kid with his mum) with gangs of skineads, rockers, etc prowling around

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here